Spybot Problem, Pls Help

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by hikin_jim, Jul 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hikin_jim

hikin_jim Registered Member

Not sure where this post ideally belongs, but here goes.

I week or two ago, Spybot detected Virtumonde.dll on my machine. I "fixed" Virtumonde. Since then, if I try using the Spybot updater, I get the following message: "Error retrieving update info file! Stream read error". I also can no longer access safer-networking.org or spybot.info with either Internet Explorer or Firefox.

I checked my hosts file. My hosts file got changed so that safer-networking.org got switched to 127.0.0.1; there was no entry for spybot.info. I've removed the safer-networking.org entry, but I still can't get to safer-networking.org or to spybot.info. I rebooted my machine after modifying the hosts file, but still no luck. I've uninstalled and then re-installed Spybot, but the same problem exists; I can't update. I'm using Spybot 1.6.2.46.

When I ping safer-networking.org, the IP address 188.165.126.152 is returned. Is this the correct address? According to ip-lookup.net this is indeed the correct address, but I don't know if I trust anything done on my machine. My ping times out.

Any suggestions?

HJ

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  2. lunarlander

lunarlander Registered Member

3. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Spybot is one of the progs that Virtumonde tries to wreck.

Are you sure that all traces have been removed?
    I'd try downloading Malwarebytes'Antimalware, perhaps on a different computer, renaming it to a random name like ABC.exe, then install MBAM/ABC.exe and let MBAM do it's work.

edit; better yet, follow the above Bleepingcomputer routine.

4. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Perhaps some of these findings at the SpyBot Board will help you resolve your issue.

5. hikin_jim

hikin_jim Registered Member

Unfortunately, my access to spybot.info is still blocked. I will try the bleeping computer method when I get time.

Thanks,

Jim

6. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Why is your access to the SpyBot Board blocked ? The Bleeping Computer fix works, if this is your actual infection.
    Please go forward with expert assistance from that board. They are familiar with me there, inform them of this thread going there, this will help an expert there further understand your problem.

Good luck and keep us informed of the outcome.

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.