Spybot $ Dr. Web - false alarm?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Pigman, May 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Well, I just downloaded the Dr. Web trial version, found out it used too much RAM, and uninstalled it. But guess what? Towards the end of the uninstall process, Spybot's resident protection gives me this message (or something very much like it):

"Spybot has detected and terminated the activation of the malware InternetWasher in [Dr. Web's directory]\unwise.exe."

If this is a false alarm - which I suspect - it is the first I have ever gotten from Spybot. If it is not...

And btw, what is "InternetWasher"? Does it even exist?

Edit: Forgot that safer-networking.org had a list of nasties on it. InternetWasher does exist, but it my computer didn't show its effects (i.e. requests for credit card number), and I haven't gotten any popups recently. This appears to be a false alarm, though, being a newbie, I'm not certain.

Hmm... Maybe this should be moved?

Last edited: May 29, 2004
  2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

If you downloaded the Dr Web trial from a recognised site I would suggest that it is a false positive. But maybe posting over in the spyware forum may be more appropriate.

In addition contacting SpyBot's author may also help in this respect;

http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=home

As regards Dr Web I am very surprised with your findings, Pigman as together with F-prot for Windows it is well known for its very light memory imprint. Even with spidermail running as well as spiderguard, they are only taking up about 4mB memory on my laptop here.

Did you uninstall all AV programs prior to installing Dr Web? In my experience it is very sensitive to other AV's and it prefers to be the first one installed on most systems. It is a very good product and I would try again but this time make sure it is the only AV installed on your system.

3. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Yes, I did uninstall all other AV programs.

And yes, it took up much more than 4 megs - enough, in fact, to almost freeze my computer. It took up more RAM than Panda AV Platinum. This could be due to the fact that programs seem to hog up more RAM when they first start up then when they are running. Also remember that I have only 64 megs, so every meg hurts. 64 megs is quite enough for most security stuff, and even a lot of games, but some things are just too... piggish.

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Pigman

Your install of Dr Web must have conflicted with some other running program on your computer as I cannot believe that it sucks up as much memory as Panda AV. Your computer freeze suggests some sort of a software conflict.

If you are staying with your present amount of memory I would recommend trying F-Prot for Windows; http://www.f-prot.com/products/home_use/win/

I have seen it running quite happily on an old Pentium 486 system, with only 16 mB RAM so this should work on your computer.

However, before trying out any other software I would recommend buying some more memory which will increase your system resources overall. Memory is still relatively cheap nowadays and will give your system an overall speed increase.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.