Spybot 1.4 beta 2

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by 10spot, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I've been using 1.4Beta 2 for a couple of days now and I have another strange problem with "default and advance Mode".
    I did a clean install, reboot and check advance mode. Now every time when I open Spybot, it's back to default. :eek:

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Antarctica - Is it check-marked in all three places the same? I believe I had the same problem once a long time ago until I got them all synchronized. Pete

Attached Files:

3. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Spy1-Yes they are checked in all three places...

4. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

Hi Bubba,

Yes... understood now... I see what you mean, my TeaTimer will still be working but with the old program files that installed with 1.3, and if I wish to get the very latest version of TeaTimer then I need to download a fresh full beta install.

I wonder if there is much need to do this considering that the TeaTimer fuction appears to be doing what it needs to do with the older version.

I guess maybe as 1.4 is still in beta then it wasn't considered important to intergrate the newer TeaTimer into the over-write of 1.3 as possibly there is very little, if any difference to the function. But when the 1.4 full install files were written, then a newer version was done the same time as a matter of course to ensure the beta had a working TeaTimer for new users not currently using any previous version of Spybot.

What I'll probably do for now is keep using this setup with the beta/old TeaTimer files as all seems fine.

I'm thinking this way of updating the previous 1.3 with the over-write version was probably fully intended to be this way, maybe to keep the update files as small as possible, whilst still maintaining a fully functioning TeaTimer application, and therefore all is still good.

However, if this was an oversight, and if you know of a good reason why the later beta TeaTimer should be used, then I may consider getting the full download.

Many thanks for clarifying this for me.

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

The older TeaTimer is very adequate....but some users might find the features in the newer TeaTimer of benefit now. Take for instance one of the many reg entries TeaTimer monitors for change....Current_User Home page. In the older version there were many times where a user would be alerted of that change and select Ok to allow and also check the box to permanently retain that change. Then they would scamper around posting questions about I can't find where I changed that....what do I do. The helpers would explain about the black\white list file and where to find it to edit the file.

In the newer version....this is improved upon as noted in the pic below:

When a user attempts to change their Home page....TeaTimer alerts them(1.)....they can choose to Remember this decision(1 a) and then Ok. TeaTimer then slides up a balloon info(2.) for a few seconds in the systray area notifying them of this change. If later on the user wishes to view the Registry\Process entries Allowed or Blocked....they can right click the TeaTimer systray icon....select Settings(3.) and then see which items they have Allowed\Blocked(4.). They can also delete any items if they wish(4 a).

That is just one of the changes....and whether any of the above causes users to switch now is understandbly their choice. The Full 1.4 version will IMHO be available before Feb is up considering the Beta is going reallll well with the Beta testers and other feedback....but....don't quote me on that :cool:

It wasn't a question of being important....it had to do more with a rumor or fact that the newer TeaTimer was compiled with the newer Delphi Compiler....which would not fit well in the 1.3 version.

Attached Files:

6. zarzenz

Thank you Bubba.

That is an excellent detailed description of the new features to be found in the updated TeaTimer. In fact... I would possibly now consider getting the full beta 1.4 installed to enable these improvements to be enjoyed from this time.

I think I remember reading something about the remember change in the old version being an issue, so any bug fixes are always to be welcomed in any application.

I appreciate that the time scale for the beta to be released is not confimed yet and would possibly be happy to wait a week or two to see if it does appear. On the other hand for a few moments download and install time, I may well be tempted to give it a try... I'll consider this later.

Again... many thanks... the screenshots helped very much.

7. tallone

tallone Guest

Can anyone tell me the safest place to download the SB beta? I don't think softpedia is the best place, anything direct from the author? Thanks.

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

@ zarzenz
    You are very Welcome....good luck :cool:

@ tallone
    The only URL I would recommend at the moment is from the Official Spybot Forums....and in particular the below thread.

This thread---> Changes Towards 1.4, And bugs plus workarounds

9. tallone

tallone Guest

Thanks Bubba, u da man.

10. zarzenz

I decided to give the full version 1.4 B2 a try to get the newer updated TeaTimer working as Bubba described above.

I downloaded the full program and installed it in a new folder without uninstalling the previous intergrated over-write version, but the TeaTimer failed to work... it didn't detect any startup changes at all. So then I uninstalled both versions and started again... even deleting all the other Spybot files in the all users application data folder, and cleaning the registry of all Spybot entries left over.

Then I installed the fresh download again. But still the same result... no TeaTimer detection.

The solution was very simple, and if anyone else finds the same problem, then just do the following.

Open Spybot... go to the Tools section... click on Resident... then uncheck the TeaTimer... and then check it again.

This kicked the application into action with all the new features of the updated version working perfectly, just as Bubba described... very nice.

11. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

You lucky dude....I'm surprised more didn't go wrong :)

12. zarzenz

Hi Bubba,

Yeah... I think I did very well. I reckon if I had found this little uncheck/check glitch before, then all would have been fine. The second install in a different folder was ok... I guess because it was basically the same version.

Anyway... all working good here now. I like the allow/block lists and the little confirmation window that pops up from the tray... thanks for pointing me to all these extra features.

Also just ran a full scan... all clean... very pleased.

13. scott lang

scott lang Registered Member

adding to what i said earlier, after i got those last slew of updates and the default advanced thing happened to me i also could not even run the scan. everytime i tried it just went off the screen and nuttin happened. so i went ahead and uninstalled it and reinstalled the 1.3 ver. updated it immunized and run a scan. and to my surprise it never picked up the dso exploits this time. remember how 1.3 always gave the dso's? and it never has given them to me yet. so for now i will stay with 1.3 till the 1.4 goes alpha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.