Spyblaster doesn't recognize Firefox..

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Cowman, Jun 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Taylor

Doug Taylor Registered Member

Hi,

Rather then go through what ladyjaf went through does anyone know of a registry entry that would allow Spyware Blaster 3.1 to recognize Firefox?

With our Lord's blessings,

Doug

2. ur048424

ur048424 Registered Member

If you had FF v0.8 you had this folder C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Pheonix, which was where your FF profile was stored.
    When you updated from 0.8 to 0.9 the profile was copied to here C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox, (new location for FF profile) but you kept the 0.8 Pheonix folder.

I have an idea that SWB looks for that Pheonix profile folder.

I had protection on v0.8 and on v0.9, but during an update to v0.9.1, I completely removed the old & existing profile folders and now I don't have the SWB protection.

UPDATE: I have just tested this by reinstalling the Pheonix folder, and sure enough, I have the protection back.
    So the approach to uninstall and reinstall FF from v0.8 may well be a valid workaround.

Cheers,

ur048424

3. Mr Snrub

Mr Snrub Registered Member

javacool - is there any ETA for v3.2 yet?
    (Alternatively any way to get a beta copy? ;) )

I'm using Firefox 0.9.1 and I'm not going to mess about putting 0.8 on, then SWB 3.1 (and apply all protections), then put Firefox 0.9.1 back on just to copy the profile over - as I'd have to go through the same process again if your definitions update in the time between now and 3.2 arriving.

I put 3.1 on temporarily just to make the IE registry changes, but removed it now while waiting on 3.2.

I assume there's no temporary fix for point SWB to the right location for the profiles, and it's hard-coded in the executable? :doubt:

Cheers,
    Mr Snrub

4. Tim Muncher

Tim Muncher Registered Member

I've got Firefox .9 and Spyblaster 3.1 and it works on one computer. I've got both on another computer and Spyblaster says there's no Firefox.

The difference may be that the first system also has Netscape on it, and that user profile is somehow being interpreted as Firefox. I'll do some checking and letcha know.

Muncher

5. apthomps

apthomps Registered Member

I haven't investigated much with my SpywareBlaster prog but is there a way to run spywareBlaster as a program in your toolbar as a fast icon... or to run as a background process?

6. dog

dog Guest

Hi apthomps, ;)

Welcome to Wilders' ;)

Spyware Blaster 3.1 isn't an active process, it adds Kill bits to your registry to block Known "bad" active X controls, it also blocks tracking cookies ... for full protection ... you only have to update once a week, then simply enable all protections ... that's it ... no running process.

HTH, ;)

dog - *puppy*

7. apthomps

apthomps Registered Member

Oh thanks I am must have understood it wrong when I read some other forums about it. They had made it sound like it worked as an active process and stopped Adware/spyware/hijackers at the moment they try and infiltrate your computer. So could someone explain a little more for me how exactly it works. I understand to update weekly but I just run the program once a week and it detects and removes or what? Should really read all the files but any help would be appreciated.

8. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Some good info here,

http://www.javacoolsoftware.info/kb/

snowbound

9. dog

dog Guest

Hi apthomps, ;)

The registry KIll Bits, Block those active X controls so they can not be downloaded/run ... so that is "active" in a sense ... it's just not a running process ... SB writes those KIll Bit protections in your registry when you enable all protection.

Javacool does have Spyware Guard 2.2 which works hand in hand with SB 3.1 and is an active process ... which you will see in your system tray ... you can read more about it and download it from Javacool's site - http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html

HTH, ;)

dog - *puppy*

edit Ps. Good link Snowbound ;)

10. BBQ

BBQ Registered Member

Hello,

Thanks for the advice on installing FF 0.8 w/ spyblaster. The order on installation is important. I first install spyblaster then restart my computer. I then install FF 0.8. and spyblaster is recognizing FF. Here is the link to the 'proper' version of FF 0.8. please read following: follow the below link and download Firefox 0.8.
    This link---> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla....ox/releases/0.8
    and select the....FirefoxSetup-0.8.exe

Thanks BBQ

....file

11. BBQ

BBQ Registered Member

Slight problem after installing spyblaster and FF 0.8. everytime I am opening my emails or accessing websites. There is a pop-up stating that I am transmitting data that can be seen by a 'third party'. Does this mean that hackers can read what I am reading or sending via internet. When I was using Firefox 0.9, it would state the info. that I am reading or sending is encrypted. Is there a certain setting that I need to adjust on my FF 0.8 browser?? Need help with this matter....Thanks..............

BBQ

12. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

BBQ, I am new to Firefox myself, but something you 'quoted' in previous post does not add up.

this bit:

This person reinstalled 0.9.1 AFTER 8.0 but you are running 8.0 itself, correct?

Did you try an install of FF9.1 again. Now, I presume it was install over the top by that other user, but unclear.

Personally I will just wait until SWB 3.2 comes out I think.

Re your question encryption/web pages etc. 90% of the pages are unencrypted anyway, presumably you have to look in options somewhere just to turn off the alert. In FF9 I deliberately left the Alert FOR encrypted pages on, so that when going to sensitive area I want to be able to verify it is encrypted.

I presume you had a good look around in 8.0 [I only had 9.0 myself]

TAS

13. BBQ

BBQ Registered Member

Tassie,

You are right. I only installed FF 0.8. that quote was from another member. I only installed SpyB 3.1 and then FF 0.8. Everything is working out fine..... I will resinstall FF 0.9 when SpyB 3.2 is released.. Thanks for your reply and input.

In regards to my second question, I presume it is safe to continue with my visits to websites and transmitting data via WEB. Any thoughts to reduce the opportunity of 'third' party viewing my info. ..Thanks.......

BBQ

14. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

3.2 is available now. :D ;) here

15. BBQ

BBQ Registered Member

Thanks,

I just installed SpyB 3.2. and FF 0.9. Should I UNinstall FF 0.8 or just keep the two FF browsers....

Thanks.

BBQ

16. Neil Parks

Neil Parks Guest

Spyblaster 3.2 works well with FF 0.9.x . If you don't need FF 0.8 for anything else you should uninstall it.

17. Zyg

Zyg Guest

I'm using FireFox 8.0 and Spyblaster 3.2 and Spyblaster doesn't recognize my FireFox Browser....

can anyone help?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.