Spy Sweeper with AntiVirus is now Webroot AntiVirus with AntiSpyware & Firewall.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Chubb, Oct 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

2. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

3. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

You missed the part about +IAC toolbar by default unless desselected during installation:gack:

4. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

Is an internal developped fwl? "http://www.webroot.com/consumer/products/desktopfirewall/index.html?WRSID=9a4e4330c0a1135130e0b86b30f573fc"

Mike

5. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

All I will tell this thread, is that I had the Webroot's FW as a standalone package with SS + AV.

My system became unstable the FW was ineffective and I returned the package to the store and got my $ back.:D

6. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I also saw a promo at a local office supply store that offered a full refund for buying the Webroot FW package. I thought for one second about buying it, but then recalled that I never heard of that firewall software mentioned in any reviews. So I passed on it. :)

7. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Thanks for the tip.

Webroot....Sigh....:isay:

8. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Spy Sweeper is now updated to 5.5.7.103.

9. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Spysweeper at least has a corporate fan in Canada, Future Shop( I assume all stores) are geared up to prompt it and install it for a fee. yes at computer service counter. Do these people know something that we at Wilders do not , or else? Let me wonder that money does talk and talks very loudly. :D

10. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

Webroot is past their prime. They capitalized on the Spyware craze. Now that has subsided and all the stalwarts like Norton hav reasserted their dominant market position, Webroot is looking to make another bang.

11. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I agree. IMO, their days are numbered...

12. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

I have SS 5.5.7.x AS version w/o the optional AV installed on secondary machine and when I downloaded and installed the latest update NOD32 AV detected a type of "browser adware/toolbar". I wonder if that is what you are referring to as the "+IAC toobar". I am pretty sure that it came from the SS installation because the NOD32 detection happened immediately after installing the SS update and immediately after rebooting the machine. I had problems with the latest SS 5.5.7.x update causing extremely slow boot time and appeared to lock up the system. The SS update could also be conflicting with other security software like NOD32. Neverless, I had to pull the power chord, restart the machine, reboot in safe mode and uncheck the SS program's auto startup option. The slow boot and lockup problems went away after I disabled SS. I certainly hope there are some rational explanations from WR for these issues with their latest SS update. The one positive is that I have a continued confidence in NOD32's detection abilities including its PUP detections.

IMPORTANT UPDATE NOTE: I just reviewed some of the previous posts and YES it is the "ASK TOOLBAR" that NOD32 detected! One of the several files in question was called "askBarSetup.exe". It was submitted to ESET for analysis. I think it deserves to remain as a PUP detection and not a FP detection! I hope all the other malware programs keep flagging it for what it is...a "browser adware/toolbar". Hmmm....What is going on with WR and SS? A browser adware/toolbar is installed by default? Thankfully I have had SS disabled on my main system for a while but now it might be time to do a complete uninstall of SS.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  13. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

My SysAdmin at work gave me an extra copy of SS (he had ordered too many) earlier this year. It didn't stay on my computer but just a couple of days because of the sluggishness. You are better off with SAS than this.

Unfortunately even Symantec has joined the toolbar bandwagon. I was surprised when I was installing NIS '08 that it was offering a Yahoo/Symantec toolbar :(

14. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

SAS looks like the way to go. I had been hoping that the problems would get ironed out in the later SS 5.x versions but the issues now seem to be getting worse instead of better. It's too bad because SS was once at the top of its class for ASW programs.

15. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.