Spy Sweeper Shields Problem

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Simon6776, Oct 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon6776

Simon6776 Registered Member

In my ongoing pursuit of the perfect anti-spyware set up, I have just installed SpySweeper, and each time I start my PC, I get an alert saying there is an error. When I go into SS options, the Spy Communications shield is switched off, and each time I try to enable it, I get the error message again, and the shield doesn't start. I have done a complete scan, and it found about half a dozen ad-ware items, but nothing too serious. I have also uninstalled, and reinstalled a number of times. I have Kaspersky Internet Security installed, which I switched off before installing SS, but no other permanently active spyware / virus scanners. This is a new installation with a valid subscription, and the definitions have been updated. How can I get the Spy Communications shield to start?

2. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

~~ removed quote ~~ no need to quote an entire post when it's just above. ;) Bubba ~

Hi Simon6776,

What exactly is the error message? Which version of Spy Sweeper are you using? 5.0.7.1608?

The next time when you get the same error, in Spy Sweeper, click on the Options button, View Session Log. See if the log has anything that may give you a clue.

You may also try the following steps:

In Spy Sweeper, click on the Options button, Program tab, uncheck the "Load Spy Sweeper on Windows startup", then reboot.

After reboot, before you start Spy Sweeper manually, in Kaspersky Internet Security, go to Settings, Protection, Trusted Zone, Trusted Applications tab, and add SpySweeper.exe, SpySweeperUI.exe and ssu.exe (in C:\Program Files\Webroot\SpySweeper) to the trusted application list, choosing "Do not scan opened files", "Do not control application activity", "Do not control registry access" and "Do not scan network traffic". After adding the 3 files to the trusted application list, press "OK", then "Apply".

Also, in the Trusted Zone, Exclusion Mask, add the path C:\Program Files\Webroot\SpySweeper to the list, choosing "Include Sub-folders" and choosing selected task "File AntiVirus", then press "OK" and "Apply".

Then start Spy Sweeper manually and see if you still get the same error. This helps to check if KIS is causing the error in Spy Sweeper.

If the problem still persists, I would suggest that you submit a ticket here:

http://support.webroot.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=776

and attach a screenshot of the error message, the session log and the System Info in .nfo format.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2006
  3. Simon6776

Thanks for those ideas. I did actually run SS for a while, with KIS not loaded (trusting my router firewall), and the problem remained, but I will try your suggestions over the weekend. :thumb:

4. Simon6776

OK, I decided to have another look at it, and found this in the View Session Log:-

23:10: Error: Failed to set action in SSIDRV driver. Incorrect function.

Does that mean anything to anyone? :doubt:

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well ssidrv is the spysweeper interdiction driver according to autoruns.

6. Simon6776

Well, I've done everything suggested in KIS, and the problem remains, so I guess KIS isn't to blame.

7. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Hi Simon6776,

It seems the problem is with Spy Sweeper itself or maybe a conflict with something else, according to lodore's explanation. There is no reference to the SSIDRV driver in the Spy Sweeper online FAQ.

So I would suggest that you submit a ticket with (1) a copy of the session log (you can save the session log in txt format), (2) a screenshot of the error, and (3) a nfo file so that the support staff can investigate what caused the problem.

You can go to Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information. Then on the menu, File -> Save and save the system info as a .nfo file, or File -> Export and export the file as a txt file. These are the standard information that the technical staff at Webroot would like to have for investigation. ;)

8. Simon6776

According to System Information, ssidrv.sys starts with boot, is running and is OK. I have already submitted a support ticket to Webroot, so rather than submit a second one, I'll hang on and see what they ask for, but at least I now know where to find it!

http://www.avfu59.dsl.pipex.com/smileys/01-cheers-sig.gif

9. Cleatus

Cleatus Registered Member

I'm using KIS and SS without any issue.I think problem is from a different place

10. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

SS was part of the wall here until V5+, but Could not get SS to cohabit with LOTS of stuff, hosts, Av, firewall....
    All those "Shields"
    CPU issues etc etc
    Wasn't finding anything
    Ditched it as a start-up.
    Occasionally run scans for fun
    The anti rootkit might not be up to much, cerainly as I understand it nada compared to KIS.
    Here might be a good place to start: http://www.castlecops.com/f163-Spysweeper.html
    Many peeples unhappy
    Many v.happy
    o_O
    It's always a pain if you have the license and it aint working.

11. Simon6776

This is the trouble when full trial versions are not available. The problem probably isn't a fault with SS, but an incompatibility with something else on my system, so if this is the case, if I were a software vendor, I would be saying there's nothing wrong with my product, so sorry, no refund. The fact that I didn't pay full price for it (eBay, but it IS legitimately licensed) softens the blow somewhat, and I have better things to do with my life than pursue this to the end of the earth, so for now, it's uninstalled until such time as Webroot honour me with a reply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.