Spy Sweeper new build 5.0.7.1608 now available

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Chubb, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Spy Sweeper new build 5.0.7.1608 now available

But changelog is not yet available.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2006
  2. pykko

pykko Registered Member

thx for info Chubb! Do they give free-licenses? :D :D

3. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

They won't give free licenses, I think :p but you can get USD10 off by using the discount code ISCSPY for new purchases :D :

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=124500

The discount code is still valid as of today. But people maybe afraid of using SS even if it is free now, after experiencing the freezes and lockups in the initial 5.0 release. So far, I don't have freezes and lockups in using 5.0.

4. pykko

pykko Registered Member

thx for the tip Chubb! I'll try the trial first. :)

5. Metting

Metting Registered Member

What' new?

Webroot always ignore these magic words "What's new" !!

Did they change their happit this time? I couldn't find any magic words in their website.

6. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

I submitted a ticket last week suggesting that they create a changelog for the coming new build, similar to the release notes for the beta. They thank me for the input and told me that they will inform me when the new build is available. However, I didn't receive any further reply as of today. I think it is their general practice not to disclose changes between new builds.

7. Metting

What a lucky man ,WOW you got a reply and thank you from Webroot customer support, I guess you got a reply because you didn't ask any technical question.

Others have asked technical questions since spysweeper 2 and still waiting for a solution or even a reply o_O

8. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

I usually get quick replies, even for technical questions, for the 4.X series and for the 5.0 beta, but I think the the volume of tickets they receive have increased tremendously following the release of 5.0 final and I started to get slower reply now.

9. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

a) RE new build: lest I do this wrong, can one just install new build on old one or, worse yet, do you have to uninstall current ver? I really like the apps that just let you slap new over old, and get on with it.

b) And maybe I did something wrong here, but with current ver of SS isn't it supposed to start, minimized to Tray, I think? SS alone pops up big/ugly, full open each time. (The GUI's ugly, with lots of wasted white space etc., IMO).

Thanks, SG1 (Pat)

10. lagerstedt

lagerstedt Registered Member

I have a license for Spy Sweeper 5 and I just tried to download it using the built in function. All that happened was that my computer froze, CPU usage 100 per cent and nothing happened. And that infuriating browser window did not show the new version. All i did was blocking the view.

This is the final straw. I am removing version 5 going back to 4.5 while I look for a replacement. My licens does not lapse until March 2007, but I have had enough now.

11. Metting

A- If you have any version before 5 you should uninstall it first then reboot then install the latest version, otherwise you'll face a lot of problems.

If you have ver 5 you can go to install on the old build, the new build will close the old one for you and install it self over it.

B- If you meant the first version of 5 when said "current version" you can expect all kinds of errors, hangups, BSD's, minimized starting, maximized starting and every kind of errors you may imagine. no one know how to resolve or even why those wired things happen. It is the secret formula of webroot.

12. as1m

as1m Registered Member

Just a question.

In this new build, is there a shield which has been ommited? The reason I say is 'cause in the 5.0.5 it showed "13 of 13 recommended shields are on", and after I installed this new build it says "12 of 12 recommended shields are on".

I may be wrong so please forgive my ignorance.

13. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I got tired of these buggy and resource heavy spyware programs and went to Online Armor. I have never looked back. Never had a bit of spyware/malware install since. I am trialing there version with built in antivirus using the KAV engine right now. Online Armor basic will secure your computer very-very well. Give them a look & see, their support is second to none...www.tallemu.com

14. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

yes there was 13 of 13 shields...one is gone

15. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

I'm afraid to say this is a buggy app.
    The V5 series are screwing users left right and centre:

Multiple conflicts with multiple AV and Firewalls
    System slow downs
    BSOD

There arethousands of posts all over theplace about V5
    Many of these bugs were reported in the beta test phase and just not corrected.
    Webroot has caused a lot of ill will for itself.
    You know how hard it is to go back to any software which has burned you>

Be careful, dont delete your V4.5exe yet.
    Regards.

16. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

And speaking of stupid app tricks... seems the new ver of SS will not start and min. to SysTray as the parameter for it states; the app opens, big and ugly as usual. Stays there, 'til I have to hit upper left X on the app.

And how many of us will be renewing SS?

Along with Longboard, and others, I'm thinking it may be time to look for a replacement app for this one. Doh.

17. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

My new version does not do this, it behaves like the old version did: minimizes to the tray. o_O

Acadia

18. as1m

as1m Registered Member

Hi.

To be fair to webroot I never really had a problem with version 5, even the old 5.0.5 build. The only issue I had with the previous 5 build was the deletion of Azureus.exe. For some reason Spysweeper did not want that on the machine. Even when I restored it from quarantine, on the next reboot, spysweeper was deleting it before even windows was loaded (early sweep function). Nothing else was a problem.

This is fixed in the latest build and I can now keep azureus on my machine.

Also I worked out what the missing shield was. There isnt a missing shield. The keylogger shield is now not a "recomended" shield and so if it is causing problems, u can disable it. By it being not recomended, users will not feel they are missing something, whereas previousley the user might feel a bit disgruntled that a recommended shield does not work or has to be disabled.

Thanks.

19. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Anyone noticed any scanning SLOWDOWN with this latest version?

Previously it took about 25 minutes to scan my processes, registry + files/folders. The SAME EXACT scan now takes well over an hour with this last build. :thumbd:

20. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

Just updated Spysweeper 5.05 to 5.07, or should I say TRIED. Froze in the middle. Had to reboot. Now, can't launch 5.05, popup says, reinstall, but can't because I can't uninstall due to the uninstall file corrupted. Emailed webroot support. We'll see.

21. Ranger Bob

Ranger Bob Registered Member

Yes. It took me over 3 hours to do my last scan. The same scan in 4.5 took about 1 1/2 hours.

22. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

For me it's the opposite, a scan with 4.5 used to take a longtime, even longer than any AV, with 5.0 it only takes a few minutes with all scan options on.

23. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Scanning time also shorter for me. I only do the Smart Scan, and it went from 8 minutes down to 2.

Acadia

24. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

Spy Sweeper helped resolve my 5.05 to 5.07 freezing issue.

1. Gave me a SS cleanup utility
    http://support.webroot.com/ics/supp...74876e12ddcba1cff0b7&accountID=693&deptID=776

2. Then I had to reinstall 5.07. Worked fine.

3. I'm noticing it is making my system nearly as sluggish. My first sweep scan with all options on took:

Desktop: 33 minutes (using 40GB of my 80GB drive)
    Items Inspected:
    Memory: 1533
    Registry: 97,975
    Cookies: 52
    Files/Folders: 138,878

Laptop: 26 minutes
    Items Inspected:
    Memory: 1823
    Registry: 83,218
    Cookies: 35
    Files/Folders: 67,031

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.