Spy Sweeper bloat?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by sprongs, Aug 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sprongs

sprongs Registered Member

New member. Have been reading Wilders for awhile and decided to join. Have a question about Spy Sweeper. What is meant by it being "bloated"? Was thinking about purchasing it but now I`am having second thoughts after reading different post on this site.
    Using NOD32 and Windows Defender now. Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance for any info.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    bloat eiether means a program contains unneeded features.
    and or slows down the computer loads. this can mean other applications load slower, shutdown times are slower, boot up time slower etc.

3. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

4. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Webroot produces a number of products, some of them are:

Spy Sweeper, plain version or version with antivirus, Webroot desktop firewall.

I've never tried the antivirus version, and would not recommend it.

I use the Spy Sweeper 5.5.7. I've found this version and previous versions not bloated at all. Very light on CPU and RAM. Whether this product is bloated depends on a number of things, your hardware, your software (including, but not limited to your security applications, and the Spy Sweeper can conflict with certain software even if it's not obvious), and the person behind the computer.

As always it's recommended not to use the default installation, this is especially the case here.

They have released their new version 5.8, which I've found to be unacceptable performance wise, and the new 'features', which can be seen if one opts for a customized install, are also unacceptable.

I'm holding on to 5.5.7 for the time being, but it seems it's a sinking ship.
    If you can get hold of version 5.5.7 and use the customized install and opt out of several 'features', you can to some extent preserve your privacy.

But Webroot seems to have joined the ranks of unethical security software vendors. I suppose it's realistic to assume that it will go further downhill from here.

I don't know if Windows Defender is any good.

I once tried it and decided it was junk.

Does NOD32 have antispyware features ? If not, you could try
    Counterspy 2.5.1043, it comes as a fully featured 15 days free trial.
    But I don't know if it would conflict with NOD32, or if you would have to make adjustments/customize.

5. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Yes. SUPERAntiSpyware. AVG/Ewido Anti Spyware(as long as they continue to update). MalwareBytes Anti Malware(but be careful of false positives)

6. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I could be wrong, but I think I've read that AVG is now a combined antivirus plus antispyware. But maybe I'm wrong.

Two different antivirus products on your computer can cause problems.

7. emperordarius

I mean the old AVG Anti spyware.

8. Fly

Fly Registered Member

If I´m not mistaken, the seperate AVG antivirus and antispyware products are no longer available, not on the oficial site anyway ?

9. emperordarius

True but can be got by using other websites, such as FileHippo, which stores old versions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.