Spy Sweeper and PG 3 Final

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by siliconman01, Nov 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

If I apply Secure Message Handling to Spy Sweeper 3.2, SS will not load and reports an error requiring it to be terminated. This has been a problem in the two Beta versions as well.

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi siliconeman01, I can confirm your findings regarding SS. Ihe only way to enable CMH on it is to disable processguard first. Then start it and all is well. Not the ideal solution.
    I had not tested SS with CMH as it already has good protection built in like KAV & ZA but I do add them to the prot list to cover all other eventuallities.
    I cannot find a way of turning off SS's protection. I did write to KAV about their protection but they will not implement a switch because they don't trust anyone else to protect their program whereas ZA do.
    I am sure there will be other such anomalies as time goes by.

BTW using SS's password protection will increase it's guard even further. :)

HTH Pilli

3. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

Gotcha and no significant problem...certainly can live with it. :rolleyes:

4. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

Spysweeper.exe was blocked from terminating smss.exeo_O

Do I give permission as this happens everytime I open SS?

Dave

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Dave I ignore it, SpySweeper still works fine, sometimes programs try things like terminate modify etc when they start up but have no intention of using them.
    You will also see SS trying to load a driver occassionally, I have found it is best to give SS the install/driverservice allow as it reduces SS's CPU usage, something to do with it's registry polling I think.

HTH Pilli

6. worldcitizen

Thanks Pilli. Had something strange happen for a while after installing PG.

Log off took a very long time and seemed to get stuck at the saving settings screen for eternity. That was just after I installed Giant AS. So I uninstalled Giant and even disabled PG but the problem still persisted until I had rebooted a couple of times. (extra reboots other than the normal 2 after PG 1st install)

It seems ok now so I'll just wait and see.

Also Incredimail always wants to create a global mouse hook. Should I give it permission?

Thanks for all your help and for helping to really improve PG. I hope this time I can use it indefinitely but one never knows.

Dave

7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Dave, The Giant problem should have been solved, not sure what your PC & OS spec are but I think there was one report of a slow shutdown on a hyperthreading CPU machine which apparently resolved itself after a few reboots.
    Watch the alerts as there maybe something that needs an extra allow. :)
    Should be fine giving the global hook allow to Incredimail as long as it is on the protected list.

HTH Pilli

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Giant and PG are playing fine here. Install of the v.3 release went normally.

Pete

9. worldcitizen

Hi Pilli,

Yes, I'm using Hyper-Threading. I noticed the slowdown just not long after installing PG. Took ages to log off and then took ages to 'save settings' but after about 3 reboots the problem had disappeared.

Dave

10. worldcitizen

Pilli,

I just re-installed Giant As and I'm not getting the slow shut-downs so it might have been as you said the hyper-threading.

Dave

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Dave

I saw slow shutdowns twice with the private beta's but when I did the install of the release version everything was normal. I have Hyperthreading enabled on my machine so I am not sure if it has any bearing. At this point I haven't much of an idea of what was going on. I have had Giant AS install ed thru out.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.