Spoofing Reputation - how would someone do this?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Hungry Man, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

In a system that uses purely reputation (let's negate all heuristic functions of such systems for now) I assume that it takes a tally of how many people have downloaded/ run a particular file. The more people the higher reputation.

How do systems like this protect themselves from someone simply moving that file through multiple machines or virtual machines?

If a reputation system factors into or overrides heuristics and spoofing were possible it could be a big issue.

I know SmartScreen uses reputation. I think Norton does as well and multiple other systems. I'm looking for insight as to how they manage to deal with this issue.

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Maybe checking the system's activity like browsing data, recent tasks, etc., but that's spyware behaviour. That's why reputation can't be solely dependent.

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

But even when it's factored into heuristics it can have a large effect if an application has high reputation.

I assume MS and other vendors have already thought of this and come up with some way to mitigate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.