Spoke too soon, major problem.

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Acadia, Jul 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Oops, spoke too soon. A problem has arisen that unless corrected, will cause me to start looking for another scanner. I hope not because I LOVE this product otherwise but this is rather major. About half the time that I log off of IE, that is, log off of the Internet, I get an error message saying: "Ieplore This program has preformed an illegal operation and will be shut down." Upon looking at the "Details" I see this:

IEXPLORE caused an invalid page fault in
    module KERNEL32.DLL at 016f:bff766bc.
    Registers:
    EAX=049e003c CS=016f EIP=bff766bc EFLGS=00010202
    EBX=00000000 SS=0177 ESP=049e0000 EBP=049e0010
    ECX=00000000 DS=0177 ESI=049e0108 FS=4fa7
    EDX=bff76855 ES=0177 EDI=81b88efc GS=0000
    Bytes at CS:EIP:
    e8 13 ad ff ff 8b 55 08 8f 82 b0 00 00 00 8b 4d
    Stack dump:
    002a0014 00000000 049e003c 049e003c 049e0024 bff766fd 049e003c 049e01b4 00000000 049e01b4 bff883ed 049e003c bff79060 00000000 04adffec ffffffff

My system freezes and I cannot do anything, not even Ctrl-Alt-Del. I have no choice but to kill my entire system and start over, blue screen checking my system and all. It must be the new NOD that is doing this since I have made no other changes in my system (in months). Hope we can fix this, I obviously cannot live with constantly having to reboot my system. Thanks.

2. martindijk

martindijk Registered Member

Hi Acadia,

Can you try and reinstall IE with a fresh copy, my wife had the same prob.

Final i ran out of choices and decided to reinstall IE, for my wife's pc it worked, maybe you can give it a go.

rgds,
    Martin

3. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Ok, I may, I repeat MAY, have found a work around, at least I have been able to log off now four times in a row without having to reboot. What I do when I’m ready to log off is first navigate to my home page where I know it’s safe, no baddies to get me. Then I kill NOD completely, turn it off. Then I simply close IE like I always do. No need to worry about forgetting to turn it back on before logging back on to the Internet. I’ve created a macro that does not let me get onto the Internet unless all my security software is activated. Between my virus scanner, Trojan scanner, firewall, Spyware software, I was many times forgetting to turn something on. So I created a macro that upon receiving my request to log onto the Internet, first checks to see that all my programs are up and running. If it finds even just one not activated, it aborts my attempt to logon, then I need to figure out which one I forgot. Anyway, I’ll keep turning off my NOD and see if this continues to work. I know that this is an inconvenience but this is a very minor one and if there is one thing I've learned from four years of computing, its patience, thanks.

Acadia.

5. martindijk

Hi Acadia,

Can you try Pieter's link, maybe it will worko_O?

rgds,
    Martin

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Just want to say thanks to Pieter and Martin, Pieter for supplying the link and Marin for really suggesting that I try it. Even though my work-around was working just fine, there is nothing quite like a system that you know for sure is working correctly. I went to that site and did what Microsoft suggested and that did indeed seem to fix the problem. I’ve logged off about 10-12 times now and everything seems to be fine. Now hopefully, unlike last time, I won’t be speaking too soon. Thanks again Pieter and Martin.

Acadia

7. martindijk

Glad it worked out Arcadia. ;)

rgds,
    Martin

8. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Well, it appears that I "spoke too soon" again. Still giving me problems but not quite as often, still, having to reboot every 8-10 times is frustrating. Actually thinking of using GoBack to take me back to version 1. I know I could only use it for a month or two, then I'd have to look for another product. Does NOD have any kind of official tech support besides this forum? Thanks (again).

9. martindijk

Acadia,

Can you tell me what kind of probs.

rgds,
    Martin

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

When logging off of Internet Explorer, I get the error message that I posted in the first post of this thread. My system freezes, cannot do a thing, have to reboot. I have IE6 on a Win98 system. This NEVER happened before, only started immediately upon downloading NOD version 2. Thanks (for the zillionth time).

EDIT: I tried the suggestion given on the MS site.

11. martindijk

12. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Martin, I just don’t see how IE could be the problem. It has always worked fine for me until the installation of version 2. I just contacted NOD tech support and will wait for them to respond. If they can’t help (or won’t) I think I’m going to head to Staples and purchase NAV. If I can’t have the best, I’ll settle for second best (that’s just my opinion folks)

Acadia

13. martindijk

Hi Acadia,

IE isn't the prob, but because you installed NOD on a later bases, i could be that NOD has overwritten some files, that's why a clean reinstall of IE might do the trick, it is worth a go ;)

rgds,
    Martin

14. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I used GoBack to remove version 2 so if NOD did indeed do something, it's been COMPLETELY undone. I just heard back from NOD tech support and their answer was absurd! They referred me to this Microsoft article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b276459

This article tells me to stop using MCAFEE while surfing. I don't even have Mcafee on my system, I have (or should I say I "had") NOD! Anyway, if Mcafee antivirus can cause this, then maybe NOD can too, anyway at this moment there is absolutely no antivirus on my system. When my wife gets back from the doctors I heading over to Staples and get NAV. Like I said somewhere (was it this thread?, I don't remember anymore, this is driving me crazy!) if I can't use the best, I'll settle for second best. The fact that NOD would rush a buggy program to market, asking us to be "patient" while they fix things (my excludes also weren't working) and then give useless tech support concerns me (why oh why won't they let us keep version 1?!). But these problems in no way reflect on the help that I have received from this forum, you guys have been FANTASTIC. Hopefully someday I'll be back (maybe soon!) but I'll only be leaving the NOD portion of Wilders, not the rest of this excellent group. Everyone, take care.

Acadia

Added URL tags

15. martindijk

Hi Acadia,

To bad your leaving the Nod, but i can understand your motive, it is that i could solve the msvcrt.dll issue, otherwise i had to leave too, allthough Nod doesn't work either at work, still running v1 there.

I just have to wait till things are fixed, so in the meantime still using v1 at work.

Hope to see you again sometime when all bugs are cleared,

Nice meeting you Acadia, see ya.

rgds,
    Martin

16. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Funny, I actually had to laugh outloud. I replied to the absurd tech support email and they apologized for "not realizing" that the MS article was about Mcafee. So they referred me to an article in this forum for some help: IT WAS THIS THREAD!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!

17. martindijk

Can they actual read at Microsoft :rolleyes:

18. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Acadia,

While I do understand your frustration, let's put things in perspective; hundreds of thousands v2 users don't encounter problems. Apart from that, it's quite common a newly designed software can in fact include some bugs - happens to fairly all of them.

This forum is part of Official Eset Support, for the record ;); that's the reason for:

Although I'm sorry to hear it did not work out for you, all fits as for Eset Support.

regards.

paul

19. Madsen DK

Madsen DK Registered Member

Sorry you having probs Acadia.
    This just shows, that no system is the same, and no software will run, without a single problem, on all boxes.
    Nod v.2 is actually the only av, ive never had any problems with. "knock knock" :cool:
    Hope your probs. get solved soon.
    Regards
    Ole :)

20. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Thanks, actually it's been a lot of fun, no regrets.
    Ain't that for sure. I just downloaded Etrust. Missing some of the features that I've come to appreciate with NOD but it is light on the System Resources just like NOD was. I'm planning on using this antiquated system of mine for one more year at the most. When I finally get a brand spanking new, modern pc, guess what's the very first antivirus that I'm going to try?! Take care.

21. martindijk

See ya, Arcadia.

rgds,
    Martin

22. Madsen DK

Madsen DK Registered Member

Ooops i have to correct myself. :oops:
    Etrust, the av ,this box was born with never troubled me either.
    Stopped using it after it expired.
    Regards
    Ole

23. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hi, Madsen. Yeah, after using eTrust for 24 hours I am semi-impressed with it. It just doesn’t have all the features that NOD did and, of course even though it does OK in the virus testing, it doesn’t do as well as NOD (what does?). But one thing is interesting, eTrust is actually EASIER on my System Resources and that is saying something. On my old system this counts for something. When I switched from Pc-Cillin to NOD I noticed a big increase in speed due to NOD’s light footprint. Well, I’ve noticed the same increase switching from NOD to eTrust, and I was shocked, not expecting this. eTrust also has a reputation, if you search usenet, for being very reliable/stable. But I would probably give up this increase in speed to have the high detection rate of NOD back. Still hoping they can fix version 2. I know they are busy right now but if version 1 was perfectly stable on my system I don’t see why version 2 couldn’t be. Thanks for your input.

Acadia.

24. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

Strange thing Arcadia - i am using a very old system PII 233 with 160 MB Ram (my only joy) and never had any trouble with Nod - somehow I believe there is something else mixed up there. Any chance of getting you doing a complete new setup??

Or

Do you run a protocol programm while installing (like inctrl5) taht would give a hint about where the truoble might come from??

Ruben

25. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Actually version 1 worked just fine for me, having installed it last November. It was version 2 that caused all the trouble, well actually just one thing but it was enough to make NOD undesirable for anyone. I read in a usenet group (was it alt.comp.virus?) that this is a known issue. Some users who have Win98 and have upgraded from IE5 to IE6 are having this problem. And guess what? I have Win98 and upgraded from IE5 to IE6! I’ll be perfectly honest about this, I don’t expect NOD to spend a lot of time fixing this particular issue, after all, how many people purchasing NOD from now on are going to be putting in onto Win98? No big deal, I’m just going to use another scanner for 10-12 months and then, like I said earlier in this thread, once I get a new system I’m going to make a beeline back to NOD.

Thanks for posting, Acadia (not Arcadia).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.