[Split/Renamed] Looking for recommendation

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by SEAS, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

There's always the 1 year free trial of Blink Personal Edition. Norman Antivirus with Antispyware detection not a bad AV. Plus much more. Just a suggestion.

2. SEAS

SEAS Registered Member

Re: Good old , New AVG

Hey C.S.J.

I see you added Avast Home Edition to your list. Looking forward to trying that one as well! :thumb:

Can you tell me the difference between the Home (free) and the Pro?

Also... when I installed AVK2007 I accidentally forgot to uninstall DrWeb (oops) :blink:

So after rebooting, my system just look at me with the hour glass and 100% CPU! So I went into Safe Mode and uninstalled AVK2007... then went to bed and called it a night.

This morning when I went to run Dr. Web... it too took up 100% CPU and my system just looked at me as well (another hmmmm). So... I went into Safe Mode again... uninstalled Dr. Web... then went to install AVK2007 and realized it needs SP2 or higher which I only have SP1.

Soooo... I then reinstalled DrWeb and it's currently running a complete scan as I type (25% complete btw). It has so far found some of those trojans that are C:\WINDOWS\system32 etc. It has found Trojan.Virtumod (2 of them) and Trojan.EzulaAd (both it will cure after reboot).

I also wanted to say that my NEXT system will be XP64, Core 2 Duo, ASUS MB, etc.

I'll keep everyone posted and how my system is working and when I find more results. So far (since the other day when I ran NOD32) I haven't had the "Blue Screen of Death" anymore... so hopefully whatever was infecting my ram is gone. :D

SEAS :cool:

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

nothing for security, the free version offers sooooo much.

you lose an advanced GUI layout i think, scheduled scan and a script blocker (which you get if you use Opera or Firefox anyway)

the rest is all there

4. SEAS

SEAS Registered Member

Thanks C.S.J!

I'm using Opera right now instead of IE version 6 (that's where a lot of the popups were coming from) and Opera seems to not have these problems...

I use Live messenger might have similar problems as well. I like Live but I don't like the way it "Hangs" my system so I might just use the messenger that comes stock in explorer.

Currently Sr. Web found a WHOLE lot more doing it's thing. For a while it was "slim pick'ns"... NOW it found like 50 more (mostly Trojans) from the original 4 or 5 when it first started running which is about 2 hours now. ;)

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

holy cr**,

be aware that some might not be viruses, but i very much doubt a scan of your machine that has produced over 50 trojans are all false alarms, some might also be riskware which have to be always judged by the user.

good way to check, select MOVE (they are safe here and cant halm your machine)

then check them at www.virustotal.com and judge for yourself if they are real threats

6. SEAS

SEAS Registered Member

Thanks again C.S.J. I'll check into that sight for sure! :D

Now DrWeb is scanning my D drive which is mostly samples and stuff for my music (as well as projects etc.)

It says it has found some on the D drive. My question is... "Can viruses, etc. install on other drives besides you "C" or operating drive?" o_O

7. SEAS

SEAS Registered Member

This is odd....

DrWeb (trial version) was scanning my D drive (found some) and then my other drives (found none) so I stopped the scan and was going to take C.S.J.'s advice and move some and then WHOLE PROGRAM just went POOF!!! :eek:

Then, the install window (cause DrWeb was scanning during the install) said something like "DrWeb has finished installing... click Finish and reboot" So I did.

Then everything booted fine... but after it rebooted and was loading DrWeb... I got that windows error box thing (you know... the one that asked you if you wanted to send a report) and it said something about "DrWeb has occured some problems and has to shut down" (or whatever).:cautious:

So after that... I ran DrWeb again. Only THIS time it only found the original 3 Trojans (aqugddhw.dll, hggfccy.dll, and pmnli.dll) and at the botton said "Done - Scan Complete".

Does this sound like normal behavior for this program or what? Should it have "POOFED" like that when I stopped it? o_O

Thanks for your help!

SEAS

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

with the remaining 3 infected files, wait till scan is finished.

then click move, and wait for the program to do its buisiness.

it should say 'Moved' then you can close the program, dont close the program unless it does say Moved, as it will still be dong its work.

all moved items go to Program Files> DrWeb > Infected!!!

9. SEAS

SEAS Registered Member

Thanks for the help C.S.J. however before I got your reply to my post... DrWeb deleted those files on reboot... but so far so good! :thumb:

I now unstalled DrWeb but I DID keep the "DrWeb Infection" folder and now I'm going to try Avast (free) and see if there's anything it could get that DrWeb could not.

One of the things I'm trying to get rid of is that "Windows cannot find C:\WINDOWS\system32\msdun.exe." error after booting and also a window that pops up about an "Application" and whether I want to install it or not. No matter if I says "Yes" or "No" I still get that same bloody popup wsindow! :mad:

I'll let you guys know if Avast helps improve things! ;)

10. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Look in your registry's "run type" keys to find the error.

11. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

its nice to know it cleaned your system :)

sometimes, it does require a reboot to fully remove, but im glad this all worked for you :)

12. SEAS

SEAS Registered Member

Question...

If you're NOT on line and you want to exit Avast (free) to save CPU for recording etc., how do you do this?

I've been checking the settings and the manual... so for it's still a bit unclear.

Thanks!

SEAS

13. BILL G

BILL G Registered Member

Right CK the A ball Icon. Left CK on Stop On Access Protection.

Turn back On the same way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.