split primary partition

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by robzane, Jun 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robzane

robzane Registered Member

I have an hard disk with a primary partition C and 2 logic partitions D E.
    I would like to split C partition to create a new partition but Disk director; taking space from C creates a new partition F moving data in partitions D and E because F becomes last partition on disk. I do not want to move my files because it takes too much time.

How can I do?

thank you

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

robzane:

You could attempt to resize your existing partitions, leaving uncommitted free space. Then create a new partition in the free space. You may have to move data around, depending on where the existing free space is located on the disk; this may be unavoidable.

It would help to see a screen shot of your current disk layout. Could you create one by viewing the disk with Disk Director in manual mode? How big of a partition do you want to create?

3. robzane

robzane Registered Member

thanks

Attached Files:

4. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

OK - that helps a lot. So from your description in the first post, let me see if I understand what you want. You would like to split the first primary partition with label DRV1_VOL1 on what is shown as Disk 2 in your screen shot into two partitions. I can see why you don't want to move any data; the two logical partitions with labels DRV1_VOL2 and DRV1_VOL3 on this disk are almost full. Here is how to do that:

1. Start DD in manual mode.
    2. Right-click on the DRV1_VOL1 partition and choose Resize.
    3. Drag the right border of the graphic to the left to shrink the size of the partition.
    4. Choose Commit (click on the checkered flag) and verify that the partition is smaller and that there is uncommitted free space between this partition and the start of the logical partition DRV1_VOL2.
    5. Right-click on the uncommitted free space and choose Create Partition.
    6. Create a primary partition formatted as FAT32(LBA) that fills the uncommitted space
    7. Choose Commit and verify the result.

Before starting you should defragment the DRV1_VOL1 partition so that there is no data at the end of the partition before you shrink it. Also, I have assumed that since all of your other partitions are FAT32 that you would want this new partition formatted likewise. If not, just choose the desired file system when doing step 6.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.