Split partition doesn't work

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by bernardd, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bernardd

bernardd Registered Member

I've been unable to split my primary C partition after multiple attempts.
    I'm running Disk Director 10 build 2117 with a new Thinkpad install of Windows XP SP2 with all the latest patches. The C partition is NTFS. I'm doing this under an Administrator account.

Disk Director doesn't give any error. I specify a split of the original 70GB C particion into two. C is to hold 40GB and the rest to the new partion. I do not select any folder to be moved to the new partition. There's lots of space still left in the new C partition for holding all the files pre-split.

I click on the "commit" flag and then select "proceed". Windows reboot a couple of times quickly with Disk Director doing very little but flashing 100% completed messages.

Once rebooted, the C partition is still in its original size. Nothing was done.

As I said, I've tried multiple times with no avail. How can I get this to work?
    I'm not too happy with my purchase of Disk Director so far.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2006
  2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

What does DD show if you run it after the reboot in XP?

As above but from the rescue CD.

Have you formatted the new partition?

If using XP Pro what shows up in disk management?

At boot time do the boot messages show extra drives?

Colin

3. bernardd

It shows the C partition as unchanged (70GB). No new partition was created.

Haven't tried this. I don't see what difference it would make.

In DD, before commit, the new partition is shown as NTFS. Of course, after "Proceed" no new partition is created.

Same as under DD. No new partition was created. C partition is 70GB.

Not that I could see. The messages flash quickly.

Thanks for replying bodgy

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

The CD boot might make a difference as it is in the Linux environment, it is possible that the partition has been created but either XP can't see it or of course the MBR hasn't been updated.

Sometimes XP doesn't recognise a drive until it has been formatted, but I don't think that is the issue here.

If you press CTRL + PAUSE during boot - the screen should freeze - mind you that was back in the old DOS boot days - maybe with much faster computers that keyscan hasn't been updated to take account of warp factor everything 'puters'

5. bernardd

Yes, the splitting worked using an Acronis Boot Disk. So, this seems to be a bug or "feature not working" in the installed version of Disk Director.

Thanks a lot for your help. At least now I can go forward.
    I hope Acronis provides a fix for this in a patch release.

6. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Glad you got it working. :)

I think it might be worth raising a support ticket with Acronis as it would appear you have something on your system that prevents DD from working properly. Quite possible with brand name 'puters and their 'locked' BIOS's and their hidden utilities and partitions.

Certainly DD works in the XP environment, so it might be worthwhile to let Acronis get to the bottom of it, of course without the info they can't provide a patch.

Colin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.