split:Differences between...

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by ronny, Jun 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronny

ronny Registered Member

Can you tell me what the differences are between :
    SpywareBlocker7.4
    SpywareStopper5.6
    SpyStopper3.0
    Are these all useful programs?

2. OPTIMIZER

OPTIMIZER Guest

HI you all, I am a bit related to these programs. they are all from the same author. spyblocker and spystopper sits on our port 80 blocking all spyware, worms, popups, tracking cookies,scripts, style sheets, they have a pacfile and a huge host for anti spyware.. it is a real blocker. no on demand more on access. spystopper is used for companies and servers and spyblocker is workstation based.

spywarestopper is a cookie manager, spyware active x blocker, they block IP's from advert companies, portmapping (not as portexplorer but ok),
    hostfile editor, a cleaner, and a very very very good homepage protector on all level hence hjt logs bho blocker.

you can give it a try here
    http://spyblocker-software.com/spyblocker/sb.htm

http://spyware-stopper.com/

3. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I have searched this forum and find quite a few older posts about Spyblocker as I really am curious as to whether it is a useful addition to the layers of protection. I have just installed the trial (v7) on my laptop to see how it works before trying it on my main PC.

I have noticed the amount of ads it cleared from several forums plus script blocking and a few web bugs. Considering I have Javacool's software (SpywareGuard/Blaster/MRU Blaster) plus Spybot and Ad-aware will I benefit from having SpyBlocker also. I also have my browser configured to accept/reject cookies so I know which ones I have etc

I know they have their own forum but I am not sure that this sort of question could be answered in an unbiased way. I know I have only just started to use it and everything seemed to work fine for me but would really appreciate an update report form anyone who does use it here and can fully recommend it as being beneficial to my computer setup. I was pleased with the firt run I had but do not want to purchase to find it is obselete to me after a while. I hope this makes sense. Thank you in advance.

4. ronny

ronny Registered Member

Thankx Robyn , you formulated exactly what i wanted to ask :)
    (I have installed the trial versions of both programs and yes they seem to do a good job but as you perfectly said...)

5. starlite

starlite Guest

I posted a question on their forums, about a month ago, on the topic of SpywareBlaster compaired to one of their products (spyblocker, i think), and they just deleted it! That says alot about them to me. And makes me wonder if they are really a trustworthy company or not.

6. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I am trying to make my mind up before it gets too deep rooted my computer as I would much prefer to uninstall at this stage than when too many settings are changed. I have been searching and am concerned with the fact of port 80 as I run Sygate which has loopback issues. This does not really matter as my router firewall stealth blocks my ports (Sygate is used to monitor my outgoing traffic) but I now wonder it this would compromise Sygate in any way o_O

Opinions are hard to find and the fact it is blocking ads and script bugs does look good but not at risk to my firewall and other applications. As far as I know the company is fine but I really would like to know if the software is superfluous to my needs and only adding to resources o_O I have just been uisng my LT this evening and the logs show 31 ads 5 bugs and 3 scripts the rest of the blocks have nothing listed.

7. OPTIMIZER

OPTIMIZER Guest

Hi , there are no known issues regarding sygate and spyblocker. spyblocker needs to inspect the port 80 to filter nasties, but your ports remain stealthed.
    at least with my zonealarm and outpost now both stealthed.

but hey , please do ask on the forum, we will all try to help you,

I use Outpost pro, I have never had any inconveniences with spyblocker, I didn't had one single false positive.

I cannot go on the net anymore without it, it is my one of my first level of protection and forum is great, not as big as here but always willing to help.

it blocks a huge amount of things when surfing and I do not have to comromise a bit.

bye

8. OPTIMIZER

OPTIMIZER Guest

"I posted a question on their forums, about a month ago, on the topic of SpywareBlaster compaired to one of their products (spyblocker, i think), and they just deleted it! That says alot about them to me. And makes me wonder if they are really a trustworthy company or not"

there has been a lot of changes on the forum, that is correct, but I very much doubt that this is done on purpose , there is even a link for spywareblaster in our safesurfing area, which you can download from there too, so why would any of the moderators delete a very normal question, regarding a issue who is also normal hence the similarities of the apps, but you can try spywarestopper, and I love to have your opinion. there is no way you can compare the two. but a freebie is more convenient for the others , I have spywareblaster myself too and spyware stopper, but spywarestopper is starting up and acting like a cookiemanager too, a host file manager, and a homepage protector for 13 different homepages. that is why it is starting up.

I do not mean to bash on spywareblaster or on you but I just wanted to clear this one. and I hope you have your answer regarding the differences between the two...

do not take this the wrong way, please

bye

9. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Many thanks for your reply and welcome to SpyBlocker forum. I think I will have to join to alleviate my concerns about Sygate who do admit their firewall as it stands today does have loopback issues with software such as SB / Mailwasher / Adsubtract. Unfortunately this was not addressed in their latest upgrade as it is a core issue and needs to be fully addressed not just by a patch :'( the good thing for me is that I use a router and just hope that letting SB ask if it needs access it will not allow full access to any other software on my computer.

I will visit the actual forum later although I did see a question about Port 80 but I really do need re-assurance myself. The best thing for me is to ask on the actual forum. I have asked at Sygate but this is when the confirmation came about this type of software to dishearten me.

10. OPTIMIZER

OPTIMIZER Guest

No prob, you are welcome, like I said, SB doesn't affect any ussage with your firewall,

see ya later

bye

11. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

hi

are you sure your post was deleted ?? it may have just been moved and the person forgot to leave a link to its new location

either way this sounds very strange to me we arnt in the habbit of just deleating peoples posts unless thay brake the boards rules.

if you can remember what the name of the post was and what user name you used when posting

i will investigate and see if i can find out what happened to your post

i know that you posted quite a log time ago but your post shouldnt take long to find if its there

either way i just ran a key word search for SpywareBlaster and here is what it turned up

http://spyblocker-software.com/IPB/...ts&result_type=topics&highlite=spywareblaster

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
  12. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Robyn - I've used SpyBlocker here just about since its' inception, too (hmm, I'm starting to feel really old all of a sudden! <g>).

I like it/use it every day myself. Haven't a clue as to whether your firewall will present/have problems with it or not (I don't use Sygate), but I don't think it will.

To the best of my knowledge and experience with the program you shouldn't suffer any problems with the "that letting SB ask if it needs access it will not allow full access to any other software on my computer." thing. (I certainly haven't experienced any such problems here in years of use, and I still come up "Stealthed" on all ports when doing a GRC - and other - scans).

One word of advice if you do decide to purchase the program - by all means, get the lifetime license (not the "per version" one). It's worth the extra money since it'll ensure that you'll get all future versions without having to pay anymore. HTH Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.