Splayer Media Player

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by whitedragon551, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

2. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

I would recommend it, been using it for the last four months. The latest version 3.6 also has a nicer GUI and revamped options dialog. Also there's a portable version offered on the website.
    http://www.splayer.org/index.en.html

3. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

How would you compare it to VLC or KMPlayer?

4. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

the video quality of splayer is phenominal, def superior in quality to VLC (which i was using) or KMplayer which i used to use.

5. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

The video quality is at least better then VLC. Compared to KMPlayer I'm not fully sure if it's better, at least on par I would say.

In overall terms I would suggest how it fits your needs. KMPlayer does have some advantages of it's own, like more localisations and more advanced option dialogs for example. However if you're looking a well codec, fast and no-nonsense video player SPlayer is for you. Like said, they also offer a portable version right from their website.

VLC on Windows can't impress me somehow like it does for me under Linux. There are too many small bugs. KMPlayer has it's best years as well, it's coded in Delphi and the original developer left and development is somewhat stalled. Since 2009 he's working on PotPlayer witch is also coming along nice.

All reason to try out SPlayer I would say, and see how it fits you.

6. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

does anyone know if Splayer supports as many codecs as some of the others such as VLC and KMplayer? it seems to work on all the video files i have now, but im just curious

7. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

Splayer is based upon MPC-HC code IIRC. It probably uses the MPC decoder for DXVA.

It's a nice little player but a little too simple for me. I like to be able to control what filters and such I can use. I've been using PotPlayer recently as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.