SpIDerGuard v4.33 fixed?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Blackcat, Oct 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Hello Putin,

I just wanted to let you know that I agree with every word in your last posting; your points of view are well taken and understood. If I hadn't just renewed my Dr. Web subscription last month, I believe that I would have switched to either BitDefender V9 (which I use on two other machines) or Nod32 (which I have only dabbled with).

And you are right, of course: I am simply trying to make using Dr. Web less "painful" by excluding my primary Internet download directory from the grasp of SpiderNT. I simply suggested this concept in case anyone else could benefit by doing the same thing. I keep hoping that the fine folks (o_O) that produce Dr. Web can fix the slowdown problem soon (always remember, soon is a relative thing)...

KDCDQ

2. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

I know what you mean and it's a pitty about your recent renewal and let's hope things will change soon.......as it sure is relative!

Good luck! ;)
    Putin

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

If you consider carefully the new features in version 4.33, the security level has been greatly improved compared to earlier versions even with archive/packed scanning disabled in SpiderGuard!!!

1. Previously, the big potential hole in SG's real-time protection was "Smart-mode". Regular on-demand scanning was one way around this but this default setting was still less secure than the other on-access scan modes. Unfortunately, these other scan modes could not be used because of their huge performance hit on most systems.

However, the new "enhanced protection mode" allows the Smart SpiderGuard to scan files that are being modified or created while queuing other files in the background.

2. Not all RTM's of AV's can scan archives. Command, Dr Web, McAfee Enterprise, BitDefender are some of the ones that offer the choice of archive scanning, but this is not a default setting.

But a number of others do not e.g. AMON and KAV 5. The last two AV vendors are no slouch in detection rates but at the present time they do not offer this scanning choice. The main reason being that it may slow down the performance considerably and/or malware can be picked up in the archive when it is extracted, then the RTM jumps in. So most AV companies leave archive scanning to the on-demand scanner.

CSAV, for example has a good choice in the latest version of it's RTM; Dynamic Virus Protection, where there are 5 levels to choose for archive scanning if required. But even given this choice I have not selected this scanning option.

3. Even fewer RTM's can scan packed files on the fly. There is a new unpacking engine in Dr Web and therefore the number of files that can be unpacked has greatly improved. However, disabling this option in the new version does not reduce its protection level compared to v.4.32. Again most other AV's leave the unpacking of these files to the on-demand scanner.

Overall, since Smart-mode has been improved, and the on-demand scanner can deal with archived/packed files checking in new installs and downloads, I cannot see how disabling archive/packed file scanning in SpiderGuard has reduced the level of protection in the new version compared to previous ones.

Ideally for full protection we would select;

In SpiderGuard's settings;

Scan Options; OTHER; Run and open file + create and write
    File Types; All +Archives+E-mail files

In Dr Web ini file; CHECKPACKFILES=YES

BUT I would like to use my machine as intended with as little effect on performance as possible. Using ALL AntiVirus Guards is always a balance between performance and protection, SpiderGuard is no different in this respect to all other RTM's.

I am sorry that some users are having problems and agree with them that if they are not happy with Dr Web in its present state then they should switch to another AV. I must be lucky; apart from some high CPU usage in the early stages of this version, my only slight problem has been some very large Media files on one of my computers which took a very long time to check with the on-demand scanner. I have only seen a slight delay (a few seconds) with some packed files but nothing to worry about as yet. But if this became a problem I would simply turn off the checking of these files.

BUT IMO, even now it is the best Dr Web version I have used.

*It has improved its security level, with a better Smart-mode, improved heuristics and unpacking engine.

*SpiderGuard is as light as before (on my computer), as it still has no visible detrimental effects on system performance on any of my machines.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2005
  4. shorty1

shorty1 Registered Member

Agreed. Good post Blackcat.

5. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Good post Blackcat!

tD

6. Benvan45

Now it seems that some users, not having a slowdown at all, are changing the configuration in order to sail around 'the slowdown' at forehand.

I am too much of a novice to understand all these changes maybe needed to enable a proper use of Dr. Web after the upgrade.
    I have always looked for a good product with easy configurations as I don't think it's right, that one has to study a complex manual or whatever, before being certain of a sufficient protection. Most AV scanners are marketed as no nonsense products and I really believe, that's the way it should be...............
    I am thinking of the average pc user (which I am.....), looking for a good and solid and easy to configure AV scanner. I have recommended Dr. Web many times to friends and neighbours, because of the speed, automatic updates, e-mailscanning and configuration.
    But now it seems needed for those people, to jump into ini files etc. in order to get a smooth running product.

It beats me all together and this winds it up for me. I feel very happy with 'the other' scanner, without frigging around in the ini files.

;) Good luck!

Putin

7. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Completely agree, putin ;)

I have suggested that "scanning packed files" should not be enabled as default with SpiderGuard but be a selection choice in SG Settings, similar to archives or email files. This is because newbies, in particular would simply stick to the default settings of SG and at the present time with version 4.33, this may very well not be the best settings for performance.

My post above was only to highlight that this present version does offer greater and not less protection than before and only some slight tweaking of the settings is needed for most people to achieve the best balance between performance and protection for SpiderGuard.

8. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To be honest, DrWeb may not be the best alternative to an average user. But if you want the best value for money and an ELITE GUARD protection against NEW threats (sorry, I just noticed that my keyboard was in FireFighter Mode), full coverage protection to ALL files that are in your puter and finally a low impact to your resources, my first candidate is the Old Good Doctor, DrWeb 4.33. :D

As a typical Russian product, you may have ONCE need some add adjustments, but after that they are awesome. ;)

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

9. Benvan45

Agreed, but who on earth is going to do the 'odd' adjustments, if they don't usually know what an ini file is? The old version was a lot easier, wasn't it?

Take care! ;)
    Putin

10. Firefighter

I have made my changes to here, it's the file in the middle. Unfortunately my WinXP is a Finnish version. 7 kt is the same as 7 kb I think.

Best regars,
    Firefighter!

Attached Files:

11. Benvan45

Yes, I know where to make the changes, but I meant 'the average user' wouldn't know where and how.

Good luck! ;)
    Putin

12. Firefighter

That's why I don't recommend DrWeb to an average user, even though I'm only a father of 3 kids. :D

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

13. Benvan45

3 kids.?.....you have been playing around more with your girl than with Dr. Web!!!
    :D

Take care! ;)

Putin

14. Firefighter

Actually they are all between 17...20 years old and this laptop is my oldest 20 years old son's, who is in the obligatory military service now. :D

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

15. Benvan45

Nice ages, beginning to know more than Daddy, usually!! Enjoy them, time is tight!

;) Putin

16. Firefighter

I think that this time has passed away many years ago. :D Today they are calling me as a moron and a fossil!

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

17. Benvan45

Usually it starts at a very young age nowadays, you're right! :D

;) Putin

18. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Great posts by BC, as always.

To *enjoy* a REAL slowdown, try re-formating a hopelessly infected hard drive, then reinstalling all your programs, & then re-downloading all the updates thereto. Now THAT's a slowdown. :eek:

As for me & my house, we shall keep DrWeb on FULL alert.

19. Firefighter

Btw, my youngest child, a 17 years old girl, is afflicted with arakhnofobia, is that the reason why she can't use this puter?

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

20. Benvan45

That must be it! Just remove the bugger and your daughter will be very happy!

:D Putin

21. Firefighter

Do you think I'm mad? With what I'm playing with after that, when I already have 3 kids! :D

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

22. Benvan45

There are ways to avoid all that! But if you rather play with the doctor, it's up to you. I would go for the other option if I would would live in the Icelandic environment, a cosy Iglo, a bearskin around my waist, a pretty woman stirring in a black pot on a fire and a very large mattress on a haystack!

:D Putin

23. Firefighter

It's not always so Icelandic environment here in Finland. :D

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Attached Files:

24. Benvan45

Sorry, I meant Finnish environment, what a mistake!
    What a beauty, is that your Castle? I would swap with you any time, just let me know.

;) Putin

25. Firefighter

No, I'm not that rich. :D Actually it's one of our national treasures, where lived about 250 soldiers and their families on the 1600's.

Btw, that 250 was almost 1 ‰ from the whole population in Finland in that time.
    :D

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.