SpeedyFox

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
  2. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Thanks for share :) I have used it previously with some speed improvement results.

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

From the SpeedyFox website:

CCleaner defragments FF's databases. . .
    CC.gif

Since I use CC daily, do I need SpeedyFox?

4. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

Nope and if they expand features on build-in vacuum magic of places.sqlite you don't need CCleaner either. On Bugzilla site I have seen requests to deal with all sqlite files but don't know if they have implemented that yet, or even want to. I imagine it will come. Mozillas schedule for this is more like once per month though that could change with 4.

You no longer have control over how much gets in to places, no more up to x days. So expect big fat databases :) Good thing is it runs much faster, many other improvements. In older versions of Firefox sqlite/database handling was hopeless, like if you had many bookmarks, 1000+ perhaps. Very cpu and disk intensive to the point where computer almost seemed locked up when trying to mange them. Then those focused on performance soon figured out that there will always be a "loss" due to sqlite and so vacuuming became a tweak. Smaller files with less internal fragmentation must work faster! Vacuum is not external stuff but simply a feature within sqlite, just not used by Mozilla before version 3.6 I think.

Here is a tweak for the tweak. PlacesCleaner https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/placescleaner/ Lets you delete rarely used sites before vacuuming. Almost like running CCleaner before doing defrag. Optimization of end result without anyone getting hurt in the process. Just common sense. Tested, approved and guaranteed to work? Nope, but I had it running for months when on 3.x Worst that can happen is file becomes corrupts. Never happened to me but 4 is a different program so don't know. From a quick search it is still the only extension for this worth spending time on.

5. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

I am using SpeedyFox for over 8 months, and its like a charm.

6. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

I use Fasterfox Lite for Speeding Firefox and CCleaner for Compacting Firefox Databases.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  7. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

I had this add on forgot about :thumb:

8. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Well, here you are...:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.