SpeedFan (And My System Stability)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rasheed187, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

SpeedFan (Strange Results)

Hi,

I´ve installed SpeedFan (SF) and as you can see on the pic, it looks like something is terribly wrong, should I take this seriously? I have to say that the reason why I installed SF was because my system is making a high toned sound, and I wanted to see if everything is OK. I´m not sure yet what the problem exactly is, but I´m going to clean my PC soon.

But this 117C (242F) temp looks a bit scary especially because it also sometimes gives me a normal temp (35C). I´m not sure what "Remote 2" is though.

However, my system doesn´t feel hot or anything, and it´s also very stable. Strangely enough, my system acted a bit unstable before I even heard this strange sound, my system would crash sometimes and Process Explorer could not measure my CPU usage correctly anymore, but these problems disappeared after uninstalling some apps, so I thought it might be a software conflict. :rolleyes:

http://server3.pictiger.com/img/859789/picture-hosting/screenshot-145.php

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

That is your graphics card that is cooking itself. you need to make sure the card fan is running if it has one. did you possibly have on board graphics and have added another graphics card??

Attached Files:

3. Rasheed187

How do you know that it´s my graphic card? And no I have not replaced anything on my system. How could this happen? Just yesterday I got normal temps and now it´s cooking itself again? :ninja:

As you can see on the pic both of my fans are runing at 40% speed, I have to say that even when my CPU is used intensively I never hear my fans running any faster, I always thought this is kind of strange. Btw, I can control both of my fans with SF, so they do seem to be working? :blink:

4. bigc73542

you probably have a CPU fan and a case fan that are being reported you graphics card fan most likely wouldn't be reported just the temp. if it has a graphics card fan you can open the comp case and see if it is running. Speed fan is calling my graphics the same as yours and I also check my comp temp useing Everest http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html you might want to try everest to see if the temps are the same as SF.

aux. is the graphics card.

Attached Files:

5. Rasheed187

Hi,

I opened my PC case but I could not see the damned graphics card fan, what a bummer! I have an ATI Radeon X600 and that is supposed to have fan right? But I didn´t see or smell anything strange. Btw, I ain´t no whizzkid, so what should I do now, should I stop using the system and bring it to a technician? Isn´t there any chance that SpeedFan has got it wrong? :doubt:

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_x800_x600_xt/

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

All the photos show a fan on that card. Not sure why you don't have a fan. Did you have the computer custom built? How old is that computer?

7. Rasheed187

Ronjor, I´m not sure if I have a fan or not, it´s just that I couldn´t see it! It´s probably the way that they installed the damned thing, and no it´s not custom build, it´s a 16 months old HP Pavilion Media Center. Btw, I tried to change the topic title but i couldn´t do it. Only in the first post. :rolleyes:

8. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi Rasheed187,

Try verifying your graphics card temp with ATITool.

Nick

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

If the computer has never been cleaned on the inside, it probably needs it. If you are uncomfortable doing it, I would get in contact with a local shop or person to do it for you.

Dust buildup is a big culprit in high heat in computers. It coats the fans and everything else inside the box.

Fans can quit working and some fans can be lubricated.

You want to keep the computer as cool as is possible.

10. Rasheed187

Thanks for the info, and I will checkout the ATITool. :thumb:

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I hope you dont mind me coming in here,
    here is a picture of the speed fan on my pc and two temps are red.
    hope you can help me identify.
    btw my kitchen is the room next to the room with my computer in and it has an AGA
    thanks
    lodore

Attached Files:

12. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi lodore,

It's not unusual for SpeedFan to display some strange readings. Usually I untick the obviously wrong readings in the Configure dialogue. Note the references to double 127C readings here: http://www.almico.com/forumvotes.php?id=309.

Nick

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks for the link
    quote " Always shows 127C on Asus K8N-E" thats my mobo so at least i now know and can safely untick those in config
    lodore

14. bigc73542

I would still try everest to get a second opinion on the temp. http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html It is free.

15. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

most software monitoring aps pull the basic temp data off the SMBus (System Management Bus)

http://www.smbus.org/
    but that has gotten a bit more compicated recently
    problems arise when they incorrectly identify the various sensor chips employed with a given mobo, the best default solution is to check the temperature status inside the BIOS itself since its reading the same bus and "knows" how to interpret the data
    (but verify your BIOS version has no temperature related updates as well)

there are so many possible combinations of sensors and so many mobos out there its often difficult to get the "automatic" portion of recognition down.
    Alex Van Kaam (author of Motherboard Monitor) Tamas Miklos (author AIDA16 AIDA32 and Everest) and Alfredo Milani Comparetti (Speedfan) have always battled the ever growing list of sensors and configuration issues, and have tried to keep them as automatic as possible, but sometimes there is no substitute for verifying your configuration by searching other forums for others with the same board and the various help sections the author's provide ;)

http://www.almico.com/forumindex.php

16. Rasheed187

Thanks for all the feedback. :thumb:

The latest news: All of a sudden I´m getting normal temps again, so I don´t know if SpeedFan got it wrong, or that I perhaps really had a serious overheating problem. But my system is still running very stable, I can also play video games without any problems, no overheating. I did notice that the high tone sound becomes louder as soon as the CPU usage becomes higher, what can this mean?
    @ bigc73542, I forgot to mention that Everest Free is not able to measure my CPU/Videocard temp, it can only measure my HDD temp.

@ nick s, I thought that the ATITool app could measure my videocard temp, and perhaps even control my fan, but it couldn´t, are there any other tools that can do this?

http://server5.pictiger.com/img/924912/picture-hosting/screenshot-146.php

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  17. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

That sounds like your CPU fan increasing it`s RPMs\rotating speed to keep up with the increased heat output of the CPU usage. If this has just recently started happening then the fix may be as simple as what Ronjor suggested, a cleaning. Probably a good idea anyways. Or the CPU fan may be starting to show some early signs of failure. Replacement is simple and pretty cheap if you are able to do it yourself. If you pull the case\side panel off of your PC and run it a while you should be able to track down the source of the noise. Then you will be able to make a better informed decision.

18. Rasheed187

@ bigc73542, my bad I was using an older version of Everest Home, the latest version provides a lot more info. It´s able to measure my CPU/Motherboard and HDD temp, but SpeedFan also measures 2 other things (Remote 2 and Core), Remote 2 is my videocard (ATI X600) but what is Core?

@ ThunderZ, no I can´t do it myself, I have replaced the HDD, Network card and RAM in other computers, but it looks very crowded in my PC, so I´m afraid I will ruin it. The next time I´m going to buy a much smaller PC like a HP Pavilion Slimline for example. :rolleyes:

But how to clean a PC? I´ve read about using compressed air but isn´t this going to spread the dust even more inside the whole PC? And you also can´t use a normal vacuum cleaner, but you do have specialized pc vacuum cleaners, are they any good?

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

20. nick s

nick s Registered Member

ATITool should be able to display your GPU temp and control your fan speeds if your card has the required sensors. Skimming through some topics at the ATITool forum (http://forums.techpowerup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9), my guess would be that you either have an unsupported or malfunctioning sensor. Might be worth your time to start a topic there.

Nick

21. tommyarmour

tommyarmour Registered Member

My aux is running at 127c. Why is this? This obviously cannot be right.

22. tommyarmour

tommyarmour Registered Member

Why is my Aux at 127c? Please look at my screenshot.

Attached Files:

23. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello, what motherboard do you have?
    this link shows that some motherboards show 127c at all times
    http://www.almico.com/forumvotes.php?id=309
    my asus mobo always shows two 127c all the time in speedfan but its wrong as writen in the link above.
    lodore

24. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

Ive had sensors read as the most wild readings possible
    (-130C CPU for instance :eek: I wish :p)
    and its happened with most aps, sorting it out is sometimes tricky

at one point I was running a 3 inch squirrel cage blower fed AC air with a short duct to the CPU heatsink, whenever the AC would start a new cooling cycle the exhaust from the heatsink would wash over the mobo sensor location and the CPU temperature appear to be lower than the mobo temperature by a degree or so. I relate this to point out that micro-circulation factors can effect what you think is happening system wide and why there are advantages to getting a seperate sensor system like a DigitalDoc (8xthermistors) inorder to "map" the thermal gradient within a case.

The accuracy of all your sensors are debatable even the ones in the CPU socket, and the ones incorporated in the CPU core, while what they are measuring (typically electrical resistance) is a given, the adjustments to those readings to reflect actual temperature of an adjacent component (socket measuring CPU) or portion of a component (core sensor measuring an adjacent portion of the core which doesnt have a uniform thermal gradient) is what those pesky BIOS revisions are often adressing, then you add the additional level of the software reading and interpreting those numbers off a given bus. MBM for instance allows you to even add your own "windage" adjustments to increase accuracy if you have reliable data.

A changing wild reading is generally a misidentification, a static wild reading is generally something trying to be read that isnt there.

25. Rasheed187

Btw, latest update:

I think it´s probably a false positive in SpeedFan, what happens is that after reboot I get extremely high temps, but then I put my system in standby, start it again after 10 seconds, and suddenly I´m getting normal temps. And besides, if my video card has been frying itself for the last month I don´t think it would work anymore. :rolleyes:

@ nick s, I´ve tried both ATITool and ATI Tray Tools and both could not measure the temp or control my fan, a bit of a bummer, and I´m also surprised because the X600 Radeon is quite an old card. I´ve not yet asked about this issue on their forum. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.