Speed or best protection?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mvdu, Oct 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Without mentioning AVs to compare, which do you think is most important: detection or speed in an AV? (by speed I mean web browsing, load times, etc.) I'd like to have both, but haven't found that yet.

2. sfi

sfi Registered Member

To me, I would like detection over speed. If you don't get the virus first, speed might take a drop.

3. Medank

Medank Registered Member

hm, why not both of them :) ?
    Avira offers both speed and best protection, "My opinion":)

4. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Thing is, I prefer using the web guard in Avira, and that slows my browsing down. Maybe the next version will be different.

5. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

I'm for detection too, but don't want something too heavy.

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I answer your question: detection. Otherwise, for max speed, use no AV at all. That will work just fine -- until...

OP said "Without mentioning AVs to compare..." If folks start naming AV apps, as Merdank has done, this thread might get closed (see HERE, young man).

7. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

When cure gets worse than the disease, it becomes useless... (No need to name anyone I guess :p)

8. Boost

Boost Registered Member

:cool: nuff' said!

9. thathagat

thathagat Guest

well.....sadly when av has speed the worry is security...when av is super secure...craving is for speed...till date both together remain a pipe dream....wishful thinking.....but do i wish to have them both........YES !

10. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I guess i'm the odd one out, i'd take a speed over protection.

11. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Speed always.All the data that i consider important on the pc is multiple times back-up just in case.

12. edd3800

edd3800 Registered Member

I want both and I get it. If I put a security program on my system and it slows it down it's uninstall time. The bottom line is speed. That' the first thing I look for. If the program slows down my computer or internet, I don't care if it scores
    100% on av tests. I'm not going to use it.

13. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Amazing........so many answers for this silly question.

14. icr

icr Registered Member

Same here i always tak backup on my external.

15. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

And what does backing up have to do with AV scanning? It should be clean before backing it up.

16. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I won't mention the name of my av as requested but I will say that the 2009 version of my internet security suite gives me both protection and speed with no noticeable slow down at all with all options at full. so it is possible to have both.

bigc

17. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

100% agree. I have backups and images- the ultimate protection. They don't like that here- many here want to sell AVs to a lot of paranoid users. If you get infected (I never have) who cares? Just restore with an image and you are ready to go.

18. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

Speed or best protection? both... try Norton 2009...

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

totally agree Buck. I now keep a backed-up image in a external hard drive and use my sig and nothing else. I get the best of both worlds.;)

20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ive pretty much got both. a slight slowdown but the best protection.

21. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

If speed is related to how much the OS is affected by the AV, then the logical thing to do is to try another AV, but I agree, detection is the most important feature of any antivirus.

If anybody is concerned about speed primarily, they should consider a defense strategy without an AV, nowadays a viable possibility. It is true that a pristine image of the OS can at any time recover any infected system, but that involves having the OS alone in a single partition. I backup everything in (C) which means I have to make sure to have a clean system (a good AV + a Virtualizer can be quite bullet proof).

22. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Well, due to consumer demand, both seem to be developing. We have the Norton 2009 line, Avira's products, and also Kaspersky's all providing much faster versions with superior detection. But to answer your question, detection has to prevail over speed.

23. gery

gery Registered Member

Detection is the first job of AV 's then comes speed and other tool. You can find both of these qualities in some suites

24. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I know a lot of you say you can get both, but for me I have not found both "best detection" and "fast browsing." I'm leaning towards speed since I have a fast connection, and most of the main AVs provide a decent level of protection.

25. Murderlove

Murderlove Registered Member

I personally would say detection. I never really cared about speed. But of course, nowadays both are being developed, but one 'better/faster' than the other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.