Spammers using images to evade detection

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by ronjor, Jun 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Article

2. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Received those already in my Junk mail folder. :D
    Even pieces of images which make one message when viewing.
    Thanks for the info. ;)

3. TNT

TNT Registered Member

Identifying text written in images can be done, easily, so the next step of antispam will go in that direction. So the next step by spammers will be distorting them like captchas. :rolleyes:

Why don't people start using disposable e-mail addresses and give their true addresses only to trusted people? I understand sites that have to leave their e-mail as a reference contact getting spam, but why do people insist on using their true address everywhere? I've been using sneakemail for a long time (since the days spam was not the MAJOR problem it is today) and I haven't got a piece of spam in years.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I'm not sure businesses can or do use sneakemail. :)

5. TNT

TNT Registered Member

Well, yes, but spam is hardly exclusively the problem of just businesses. In fact, most of the spam comes from poor practices of keeping the e-mail address "secret", and people tend to do be much more careful with e-mail address of their own company. Plus yes, there are addresses that are pubished on websites, but they are almost always only a small percentage of the company's address.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Very true. Once again, education is the key. The average user fires up their computer to send emails, and most probably surf the internet, and are not aware that they are targets for spam or worse.

7. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Yeah, I recive those at my gmail trash can (cant figure out how the spammers got hold of that adress tho)
    But gmail takes care of all image based spam without any problems. I am really impressed by gmails spamdetector.

8. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Will "send and recieve as text only" stop this attempted exploit or should any preview pane be closed anyway?

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

If you read in text only, the images are disabled and harmless.
    My preview pane is always closed in Thunderbird, because I'm not interested in spam-emails even when they have a very curious subject line.
    A smart spammer always writes seducing subject lines and another simple trick is a blank subject line. Make the receivers curious enough and they will fall in the trap. Nothing but pure psychology.

10. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Mine is always enabled, because I like to see what they are up too. :D
    External images are blocked, so there's no danger.
    Sometimes it's really funny which tricks they use to sell their products or to scam a person.
    Blank subject lines won't even make it into my Inbox, because they are removed automatically on the server when downloading messages. (= filter)
    My family and friends are warned in advance that I don't accept those messages. :thumbd:

11. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

*Looks at spam collection*

lets do it Kelley
    onto
    circumstantial
    WINNING NOTIFICATION!!!
    FINAL WINNING NOTIFICATION!!!
    Dewey
    Dewey
    autonomous

Guess you're right - most spammers are morons. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.