Spam volumes jump 'with a vengeance'

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by ronjor, Nov 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Story

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Spam Soars, Expect Worse In 2007
    Article

3. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

This has duplicated the amount of spam that I receive each day

4. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

If you use Thunderbird then image spam can easily be automatically treated as Junk by setting up this rule:

http://ossian.myby.co.uk/rule.png

To stop friendly emails being filtered just add any senders that are caught to your personal address book.

The next step is to take the contents of the Junk folder and forward (as attachments) all stock junk to stockjunk-AT-coldrain DOT net and all other spam to knujon at the same domain. Alternatively use the Knujon plugin: http://www.knujon.com/howtosend.html#Thunderbird

I have cut my spam down from about 100 a day to about 5 a day which is a remarkable success. It took time but I am getting there. I did ditch one of my three email addresses but this in no way accounts for the degree of success I have had. The drop off has been in the last week when everyone else seams to be getting swamped. "Stock Junk" is my only kind of spam now (with an occasional pharma-junk message). Try this but don't expect immediate results.

Phasechange

5. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

If this is due to filtering, then whether it can be called a success is questionable. Spammers regard filters as an obstacle to be bypassed, if necessary by sending ten or a hundred times as many emails.

The only real method to cut down on spam is to "discourage" the spammers from sending it, specifically by imposing a cost on them. This can be done by draining bandwidth from their sites using a tool like SpamVampire but a more elegant method is to place fake orders (see New Spam Retaliation Tool for one example) which then cause them problems with their credit card processors.

There is moreover a new tool for simplifying the process of entering fake orders on several online pharmacies (including many of the worst spammers - My Canadian Phamarcy, Legal RX, Premier Pharmacy, FinestRx, ED Choice and others). It requires Firefox with the GreaseMonkey extension - see the Pharma KS FormFiller thread for more details.

6. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

I have reduced my Spam by reporting it to Knujon (after using Spamcop for a while with no noticeable benefit). As I am on various industry forums and am consulted by civil servants on communication policy I don't think it would be wise for me to indulge in retaliation which may be of dubious legality. I am not criticising others for doing so or making a judgement as to whether certain acts are legal or illegal. I just have to walk a cautious line if I am to retain my livelihood.

I am aware of the retaliation tools and was strongly tempted but haven't. It's "academic" now anyway as 95% of my spam is now stock spam which is another problem entirely.

The festive lull saw my spam intake drop to 0 a day on average however things have picked up and I am probably getting about 10 a day now :-( About two emails a week bypass my filters. All spam filtered or not, gmail or not, ends up being reported to Knujon.

Phasechange :ninja:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.