spam software and firewall software with NOD

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by hasit, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hasit

hasit Registered Member

anyone can suggest an excellent software for firewall and spam software that can work with NOD?

2. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

I think all of the common Firewalls and AntiSpam Soft work well with NOD32. At least i am not aware of trouble. So the choice is yours.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

4. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

I have found NOD32 to be one of the most compatible AV programs I have ever used along with other security software. You can choose any firewall you want but I prefer ZoneAlarm Pro (ZAP) which also includes an OS Firewall and an antispyware scanning engine (using CA PestPatrol based definitions). I used to recommend Spy Sweeper 4.5 but since Webroot released SS 5.0.5 which I would definitely NOT recommend it at this time or at least until they work out the numerous problems and conflicts with the latest SS 5.0.5x release. One of the best active protection antispyware programs I could recommend is Ewido. You can download the latest version for a one month trial and decide if you want to purchase an annual subscription later.

I also like the free SpyBot S&D and Spywareblaster. They both offer simple but effective passive spyware protection but need to be manually updated. Spybot has an Immunize feature that must be enabled and its on demand scanner has a somewhat dated interface but it still works fairly well as a backup to your main antispyware scanner.

I use McAfee Antispyware v2 since it has a history of having good keylogger detection. It does have some OS settings and system file protection similar to ZAP's OS firewall but I think that Ewido is the more complete AS program and using both McAfee and Ewido is probably not necessary if you also are using ZAP.

You could download and install the free MS Windows Defender (beta 2) from the MS site but so far I have found it to be very ineffective compared to the previous MS Antispyware beta program. Even though it uses up only a limited amount of system resources I question whether it is even worth the hassle to install it. I suppose that for people who are not using any other antispyware it is better to have it than to use nothing at all.

5. hasit

hasit Registered Member

any spam application?

6. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

What Mailer are you using, perhaps it is plugin capable.

If not i suggest:
    K9 http://keir.net/k9.html
    Spampal http://www.spampal.org/
    AntiSpamServant http://www.antispamservant.com/

All are freeware; i used these in former times with good good results. My actual Mailer (have a look at my signature) has plugin capability so that i got rid of these programs :)

7. hasit

hasit Registered Member

i use proxy+ for sending/receiving emails (locally), there is an option for NOD in the same.

for the server i use window 2003 official email server with horde as webmail. let me know if this can help.

8. hasit

hasit Registered Member

can the listed spam application work on the server or with proxy+? Please advice. i am looking for a server level scanner and not user level.

9. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

IMHO if i remember well SpamPal and K9 have this capability. You have to configure the ports and paths regarding your server installation in the MUI and Spamsoft.

Spampal has a very good english forum in which you get help http://www.spampalforums.org/phpBB2/

Perhaps it would be a good idea to install a Mail/News server soft like 'Hamster' (Freeware) in which a antispam solution could be easaly integratet.

Hamster Info http://www.elbiah.de/hamster/flavours.htm

Last edited: Jul 26, 2006
  10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

11. hasit

hasit Registered Member

this is a client like outloook, i want any spam that works with P+ or a mailserver.

12. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Outlook has a very powerful Junkmail Filter, simply turn it on and teach your users how to use it.

Cheers :D

13. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

I haven't found many good antispam applications. Many ISPs or mail providers such as Yahoo supply a spam filter with their email service. The only spam filter that I have really used lately is the one that comes built into the ZoneAlarm Security Suite (ZASS). It is actually quite effective and I think it is the same application as Mail Frontier which is now owned by SonicWall. There was a thread in this forum not too long ago where we talked about using ZASS along with NOD32 but you need to be careful installing these together because ZASS has antivirus which must be completely disabled and the IMSecurity feature in ZASS supposedly also needs to be turned off to avoid conflicts with NOD32. ZoneAlarm Pro (ZAP) is the easiest way to go for the firewall since it has no antivirus component but of course ZAP doesn't have the antispam component.

14. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Ok, as i think i know a little bit about Mailer and Spam :) i have to make some comments here regarding Spamfiltering and Spam aplications.

Most Spam aplications you found out there are working on the so called Bayesian method. They have to learn and build up a reference database. The learning takes sometimes weeks in order to reach an efficience up to 90-95%.
    The new generation of antijunk tools or plugins are working with so called (PCRE) Regedit-Rules. These are not as easy to configurate but higly more afficient. Mostly they come with preconfigured rules which have to be set in some cases to the personal circumstances. Some tools combine Bayesian/RegEdit/and DNSBL, others claim to us additionaly a 'pishing' method.

Aplicaction like ZASS are more than useless if you get massive spam. In my eyes a kind of marketing to make a product more atractive. That' all.

In each way don't use Outlook, it allows to view html mails with embadded object. Don't have to tell you about that risk. The spamfilter of outlook is a joke.

For folks which use emails professional, talking about more than 100 emails by day, i suggest - I also personal use it - as a local solution TheBat! with a Regex antispam plugin. I have a bout 200.000 Mails in my database and a spam solution from 99%.

As a network solution i suggest a mail/news server like hamster with spampal, which offers plugins for Bayesian/Regex/DNSBL, etc. very high configurable.

For people who just mail once in a day Thunderbird with his integrated Spamfilter is a good solution. But again, kick Outlook and family out of your PC. If you like to watch images, etc. go to http://www.disney.com :)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2006
  15. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

From my personal experience it works with full & free versions of
    - BitGuard (no longer developed)
    - GhostWall
    - ZoneAlarm
    - Jetico
    - Outpost
    - Sygate (only 5.5 - 5.6 will crash your system no matter what)

And from what I can tell in different threads, it pretty much works with everything (suites excluded of course).

16. EvilDave UK

EvilDave UK Registered Member

I'd personally wait for NOD32 v3.0 which will contain anti-spam and firewall features as well as their award winning anti-virus software.

17. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

You know more than the most :)

18. EvilDave UK

EvilDave UK Registered Member

Well, the last I heard from ESET is that we would see a form, be it Beta or Final, by end of Summer 2006. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.