SPAM Module Problem + Question

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by newbie2247, Jul 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newbie2247

newbie2247 Registered Member

I have the latest ESET version of v4 and the SPAM module is a lot different and quite annoying so I have a problem and need to pick your wonderful brains as I do not want to turn it off. That's why I bought a suite rather than just the alternatives.

It keeps marking almost everything as SPAM and sending it all to the ESET Antispam folder. It is not "learning" at all like a firewall does if you know what I mean.

Often I end up on a website and rather than bookmark the site for one article, photo or song from YouTube, I will hit FILE, SEND and send the link to myself via email. Then I go to my Inbox and it's not there. I check Send and it shows I sent it. Lastly I check the SPAM and sure enough, it's there. Why does this happen? It NEVER, ever happened until I upgraded.

Problem is with this version 4.0.437 or whatever, there is no "drop down" options to "whitelist" myself or my domain or mark senders as "Trusted" of "Safe". Remember we all had those options before? This is terrible and a HUGE omission on ESET's behalf to not give us that whitelist/blacklist option anymore and the other options we had in the SPAM module as well.

It also happens with other senders besides myself and I cannot "teach" it like I was able to before we all upgraded to this version. They sure made things difficult and ruined the anti-spam module rather than made it EASIER to use IMHO.

How do I resolve this please? Rather, can I resolve it and if so, how? (pls assume I'm a total idiot and no techie speak - it will go right over my pinhead)

Thanks and I hope everyone is enjoying their summer. :)

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Most likely an IP address of a mail server in the header of email assessed as spam is on a blacklist. Check the IPs from such an email here.

3. newbie2247

Thank you. I was hoping that there was a way to fix it somehow using ESET.

I receive email and sent it to others fine but that is different from sending it to myself I guess.

Too bad we cannot "whitelist" on the latest version of ESET. :(

4. Marcos

You can add particular email addresses to the Whitelist. Once whitelisted, it will be delivered even if the spam score is high due to an email server's IP address blacklisted.

5. newbie2247

I used that link and sent an email to the addy it said to in order to obtain my IP address. I don't understand the reply at all except for this one sentence:

"It took 4 seconds for us to get your message."

Everything below that sentence is Greek to me.

Well I tried.

6. newbie2247

How Marcos?

Please, do tell. I am frustrated to death and would LOVE to do that right now.

Thank you for that GREAT news!

7. Marcos

If you're not using MS Outlook, you can view the message source and enter each of the IPs listed in the email's header at the webiste I mentioned before.

8. newbie2247

OK, I found my IP address and entered in that link you gave me. I got a very long list of OK's.

Now, how do I go about "whitelisting" it?

I use Thunderbird (also have Windows Mail) but don't see a "source" anywhere on the emails I've sent to myself on them.

Thank you very, very much Marcos for your time, patience and help in this very frustrating problem of mine. I truly appreciate it. I'd send you a bottle of wine if I could. :)

9. Marcos

Here's an example of a spam email header:
    Received: from intellicast.com (unknown [212.220.119.239])

After entering 212.220.119.239 at the webiste, the following results are displayed:
    BARRACUDA LISTED Detail
    Return codes were: 127.0.0.2 896 31
    CASA-CBL+ LISTED Mail from 212.220.119.239 refused, see Detail
    Return codes were: 127.0.8.6 10796 16
    CASA-CDL LISTED Mail from 212.220.119.239 refused, see Detail
    Return codes were: 127.0.8.4 10796 31
    RATS-NoPtr LISTED SPAMRATS IP Addresses See: Detail
    Return codes were: 127.0.0.37 3595 31
    Spamhaus-ZEN LISTED Return codes were: 127.0.0.11 896 0
    UCEPROTECTL2 LISTED Net 212.220.64.0/18 is UCEPROTECT-Level2 listed because 123 abusers are hosted by USI Uralsviazinform/AS6828 there. See: Detail
    Return codes were: 127.0.0.2 2095 31
    UCEPROTECTL3 LISTED Your ISP USI Uralsviazinform/AS6828 is UCEPROTECT-Level3 listed for hosting a total of 4782 abusers. See: Detail
    Return codes were: 127.0.0.2 2095 16

If you want to whitelist the sender so that the spam score is ignored and emails from that sender are never assessed as spam, right-click the message, select "ESET Smart Security" -> "Add to Whitelist".

10. newbie2247

I don't get anything like that at all on any of my email, sent or received. Never have seen anything like that at all anywhere. Are there steps I need to do in order to see all that info? I primarily use Mozilla's latest version of T-bird. Seldom use the Windows Mail that comes with my Vista Premium.

Also, when I right click on anything in my email, I do not get any options regarding "whitelisting or blacklisting" anything which is a big problem. I manually went into the SPAM module and checked to see if I was whitlisted and I am. So I don't see what is causing all my emails to myself to be tossed into the ESET SPAM folder.

I guess I need to learn how to find all that data you pasted and hope that if and when I do, that when I right click on it, that I will see a whitelist option. (Making the sign of the cross and praying)

What an annoying problem. :ouch:

11. Marcos

Ok, I just realized that Thunderbird has the options in question named differently. In the case of TB, select "ESET Smart Security" -> "Trusted address".

12. newbie2247

Have done that a trillion times.

I have finally found my header on an email I sent myself and ESET tossed into the SPAM folder. I right clicked on it and zeo options from ESET came up. Maybe there's a procedure to it or a special area where and when one does the right click thing.

I can send you the header privately and maybe that will help immensely??

This is so bizarre because T-bird and ESET has me as safe, trusted, not spam and whitelisted. Crazy. o_O

I don't know how to send you a copy privately if you are open to the idea.

Thanks so much. I'm sure there has to be a way to get this resolved. Has to be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.