Spam Filters

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by octogen, Jul 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. octogen

octogen Registered Member

Don't know if this is the right forum, but here goes...Which spam filter do you use/recommend? Thanks in advance.

2. claire

claire Guest

3. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

I've been in touch wth the author and functionality for web-based email should happen very soon. I'm looking forward to that!

4. octogen

Thanks for the info, Claire and Checkout. I'll give Mailwasher a try.

5. octogen

Just downloaded Mialwasher I am now using it. It's a winner and it works fine for me, since I only use a POP server for e-mail. It is truly an outstanding program that is easy to use. I will gladly give a donation to the author. Thanks for the advice, Claire.

It is also nice to know that it will soon work for web-based e-mail. Thanks for that piece of info, Checkout.

6. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

Howdy

I keep on receiving nasty SPAM on my POP account. Some day I get 1 - 3. Yesterday 10 pieces, today 50 pieces one and same spam mail: "Russian girls seeking men". 1.8 kb each. I bounche them everytime using MailWasher. That´s pretty feature :). But one question I have. Do the spammers know if their spam was bounched purpously? And they try to punish me because of bounching?

-Ari

I think I already have reported for that one particular spammer

Now minutes later a few more ......

7. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Don´t get mad, get even :D

http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/harvest_project/

Regards,

Pieter

8. snowy

snowy Guest

KRUSTY

great question......although I never took the time to personally verify.....however, well over a year ago a person that I am awear of and who knows his way around stated that the "HEADS" could id the bounce.
    what I cam personally verify after using mailwasher to Bounce..was an enormous surg in spam.
    after my last re-format....an new service provider....once again installed mailwasher........BUT WILL USE IT ONLY TO READ MAIL ON THE SERVER.........no bouncing.
    By the way...EMC is not bad...

snowman

9. snowy

snowy Guest

TYPO CORRECTION

should read: That the Bounced headers could be read and id the bouncer.

10. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

Krusty,

I found this in MailWasher's FAQ:

How does MailWasher bounce messages?
    A. MailWasher uses an algorithm to determine the best route to send the bounced message back (from, reply to, return path) and actually sends the bounce back via your ISP's postmaster, so it looks exactly like it has come from your ISP and not from you at your address. If the spammer has used a fake address, then your bounce message will itself be bounced back to the postmaster and you won't receive the bounced bounce email.

Q. What does the bounced message look like?
    A. Send yourself an email, then bounce it. The message will be bounced back to the sender and they will receive an email similar to a returned mail message you would receive if you sent an email to a wrong address.

Will the spammers know I am bouncing emails?
    A. No, the bounced messages look exactly like a returned mail message you would receive if you sent an email off to a wrong address. There is no way the spammers can tell it is not genuine

http://www.mailwasher.net/faq.php#_Q._advancedbounce

11. claire

claire Guest

Hi,
    Here is the url for the official Mailwasher support Forum
    if this can help you

http://www.computercops.biz/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=50

12. JacK

JacK Registered Member

Hello,

AFM I don't use a spamkille, just Magic Mail Monitor, a little exe (60 Ko) to view the msgs on the servers and delete unwanted mails before opening my mail client.

I am not sure bouncing spam is a good thing to do : some people do think the robots are so stupid that they take it as an answer and you get more spam :)

AFM I never answer ( never use the unsuscribe link : that's a proof you read the post :)) or bounce any spam.
    Rgds,

JacK

13. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

Hey guys

Thank you very much for your great answers. I´ll study more this antispam project. It might be never ending battle but what else you can do. I´ll read all of harvest project , thanx for the link Jack. I really used to unsubscribe news letters I accidently subscribed, but I stopped that time wasting when I noticed there are more crap coming in than going out. By the way, atleast finnish law criminalize all incoming emails which were never subscribed lol, that helps me alot :D(not).
    I have them both, MailWasher and EmC, goodwares....
    Marianna, Good info !!! Claire, thanx.
    grateful thanx
    - Ari

And I received 20 spam more, always the same sender, the same subject: "Russian girls seeking men" damn it seems there are no men in Russia....

14. Scotcov

Scotcov Guest

Does Wilders use the harvester project? Looks pretty good to me. ;)

15. Pieter_Arntz

Hi scotcov,

You can find the participating websites at the bottom of the page I linked to.
    Guess which one is mine? :D

Regards,

Pieter

16. Scotcov

Scotcov Guest

Hi Pieter,
    After long, hard thought, I figured out which was your webpage! :D
    I had to use Babel, though.
    Scotcov

17. Pieter_Arntz

LOL. I knew you'd figure it out.
    But, we're going off-topic here (and that's my fault :oops:)
    Although Mailwasher is great, it must have some competition.
    Nobody using something else?

Regards,

Pieter

18. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

Hey

Pieter, many thanx for the advice. I built fake sites up as http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/harvest_project/ tells me to do. I linked them on my own site. :D Let them taste their own medicine.
    But meantime, I still keep on receiving the one and same spam. The same sender, the same email. A friend of mine told he is receiving some other emails copies all the time and we have the same ISP. He asked the ISP if they knew something about the phenomena but answer was no. Could it be a virus on POP account o_O? Cloning emails shitloads.....oh man.

-Ari

19. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

Howdy again

It seems I won this match against my "private" spammer.(for now) I thank MailWasher and it´s bounching option. :cool:. Today I bounched approximately 150 emails, go figure. Now spamming stopped from one single email address. Available mailwasher.net

grateful regards -Ari

20. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Pieter,

Have for example a look at MailCall2:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,353,00.asp

21. Pieter_Arntz

Thnx FanJ,

I like this part : For example, you can have your computer announce "Message from mom" or "You've got spam!"
    But unfortunately I don't see my OS here: The program runs under Windows 95, 98, Me, NT 4.0, and 2000.

Regards,

Pieter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.