SPAM attacking me

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by controler, Jun 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

I about fell out of my chair when I saw this on Wednesday:

Hotmail Enlisting Help Of Brightmail

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,105017,00.asp

Bill Gates and Microsoft actually admitting that they need help - and can't go it aloneo_Oo_O For Hotmail users this is great news. I don't use Earthlink, but several I work with do and they say ever since Earthlink signed their deal with Brightmail it's night and day with the spam.

Tell it like it is when Microsoft is wrong - but give them credit when credit is due. This is a good move.

John
    Luv2BSecure

2. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

3. controler

controler Guest

OMG you beat me !!! I been checkin mailwasher page everyday
    and it IS there now :D

http://www.mailwasher.net/

Let's go get um ;)

4. controler

controler Guest

Checking out this version now. Wish I could have been on the Beta team for this one.

In options you have a box for

Check the origin of the e-mail against DNS blacklist servers.

a. Edit blacklist servers tab.

The Spamcop link server started ticking my Lockdown Mail
    and some ligit personal e-mail from AOL .
    If you go to that server http://spamcop.net/
    and type in the ligit address. They tell you it should be fine and not included on the blacklist.
    First bug..

5. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

Hi Controler!

I think the answer to spam for web-based email is to find a web-based mail provider that isn't inundated with spam in the first place.

I posted it in another thread somewhere, but Microsoft announced a million dollar+ deal with Brightmail admitting they have lost the war on Spam with Hotmail and need help. It was a humbling announcement really, and give them credit where credit is due on this one. Earthlink users can tell you how effective Brightmail is. They are REALLY good. So, soon, Hotmail could be better than most in spam thanks to their realizing they needed the help from the pros that have been successful.

Meanwhile, try www.myrealbox.com I NEVER get spam there and you have never seen such a full-featured web-based email than myrealbox. Forwarding, email notification when you get something at your myrealbox account, vacation replies, pop retrieval, and many other little goodies that you would normally pay for with anybody else. It's a project of sorts of Novell Messaging (read about why they exist - it's kinda neat) and helps them with their other systems someway and that's why they operate the site at all. I've had an account for three years - always happy.

John
    Luv2BSecure

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Heya guys, just surfed on this story, spammer gets spammed and with snailmail spam too! Great!
    He even doesn't like it, how about that!@?
    http://www.freep.com/money/tech/mwend6_20021206.htm
    http://www.freep.com/money/tech/mwend22_20021122.htm

7. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

ROFLMAO

Sometimes life is better then fiction :cool:

Pieter

8. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Google a bit on his name, lots of horror stories :) and he doesn't want to stop, see how he bought his expensive house with this business.....

9. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

LMAO ! I wish he will choke on his SPAM :D

-Ari

10. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Imagine people subscribing him collectively on everything they can think of, emails and snailmail, catalogues, telemarketers, you name it. Poor trees.....
    His photo, house address, taxes, aliases, thousands of his domains, everything is on internet.
    He asked for it, for sure! And still doesn't want to stop, even won some lawsuits and made agreements with some ISPs..:(

11. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

One day MSN has got enough for that crap and make the spammers to stop their gross work. Ralsky and others will lose their property and we netizens will have peace & quiet. A fairytale ? I do not think so. If MSN wants something it will get it I´m sure.

-Ari ;)

12. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

For the moment they all make good money from him, what do you think? All that paid bandwidth, advertisers and clicks, all those people's complaints with even more promotions in every email footer, etc. Of course MSN and all those could have brushed up their anti-spam filters, but their own gain is much too high!
    And like verisign (?) made agreements their members mailboxes will not be spammed, that's another good promotion, don't you think? Etc etc etc.... all butter on their heads... poor email users.... If little people are caught for some spamming their boxes are closed, but this guy with his millions of dollars can continue, of course......

13. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

Jooske :)

I have an idea, tell me if it is "worth of spam". We all netizens go and open a new hotmail account everytime we receive spam on them. Just leaving the old accounts living their "spamlife". That would cause extra expensives for msn, or would it ?

-Ari

ps. I wouldn´t allow my children to open hotmail account, if I had any.

14. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Maybe this is why they now in stead of three months ask a monthly visit to keep the accounts active. I read somewhere soon the free accounts are finished and we'll have to pay for them.
    You can try to set them up with all kinds of spam filters we can think of like the xxx sectors in which this person says he is not spamming but more the financial and games areas. Could be.
    Can't imagine your idea is against any TOS or other laws. Remember they joined yahoo time ago, so lots of accounts to make for this. You might like to add an autoresponder or forwarding somehow on their abuse account.
    I'm not telling the terrible user names and autoresponders i created which seem to work more or less for this goal :)

15. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

Jooske,
    if they some day will close free accounts, that would be the day of victory for antispammers :)
    I took a look at google´s links regarding the spammer. I dislike him even more now. But thinking all that money....I can´t say I am jealous for his property, but.....he has not worked for it legally. He has spammed me too, and that is a crime in this country. But I have to also say that he is genius, don´t you agree ?

-Ari

16. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

I would not be really happy if there are no more free accounts because of such spammers maybe in the first place. They filter already part in the junk folders, but still it's a mess, true.
    He found a hole in the market using internet for his gain, true, as he only needs a few heavy computers and bandwidth to make money with, which with snailmail would have been a manyfold in costs and organisation.
    If he indeed is responsible for 90% of the internet spam, imagine what he caused for serious business and communication, the lost communication because of our spam filters and blocking software, etc.
    From 300 emails every few hours i have some 50 worth closer examination and some need an answer, all the other 250 are just spam, forcing me to change the message rules and filters frequently and to look if not too much is filtered out.
    In another thread here was written it's better to reply for unsubscribing from some, but on the other hand there are advices better just delete, so it's hard to know which is best to stop some spammers, so i keep filtering.

You might like "the Story" as an illustration
    http://belps.freewebsites.com/index2.htm

17. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

wow Jooske that is some good stuff at that link!!

hehe

18. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Yes, but see it just as an illustration and not as a manual which ways to walk, as i certainly would not recommend those, even though one can understand the person was brought to that.
    So maybe other spammers better take it as a warning what might happen to them.

19. controler

controler Guest

:D Where did that person get the nude pictures of Rodona?
    She isn't bad looking :D
    see me drooling? :p

Don't let Blaze know of them pictures :rolleyes:

20. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Why are you writing about those then?
    Maybe the webmaster had a hot chat with camera support?

21. controler

controler Guest

LUCKY camera person ;)

I wonder if she is getting compinsation for us viewing her nude pictures?

If she gets paid by the click, I bet she will make a fortune off **** :D

please, no references to members and their private habits in this context and thread ;) - Forum Admin

22. Gnostic

Gnostic Registered Member

Thanks for this link John! I've been looking for a service like this for some time. I am impressed by their site and services and think I will give them a try. Then I can get rid of Hotmail--at least until Brightmail secures them.

Thanks,
    Gnostic

23. Gnostic

John

Unfortunately, myrealbox.com is not accepting any new accounts. Do you know of any other safe free email services?

Thanks,
    Gnostic

24. Gnostic

I hate beating this in the ground! :D I just visited the hushmail.com site and was impressed with what was said about this service. They use encryption based on OpenPGP. In fact the only thing it lacked, in my opinion, was POP3 access. Has anyone heard or used them?? Check them out at https://www.hushmail.com.

I also looked at SAFe mail, but their encryption is proprietary. So I won't be using them.

Gnostic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.