Space Issues

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by beethoven, Nov 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Seems that I did not consider the realistic need for space when using ISR.

I have done my first snapshot but basically have not enough space available on my HD to do further snapshots. My second harddrive does not hold the capacity either and using the network to go further is extremely slow.
    I am not even talking about super huge files (only approx 13 GB)

Any options apart from upgrading my system? For the moment I guess one secondary Snapshot may already save me but obviously this would not really take advantage of FD-ISR.

2. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

There no options other then the obvious ones, like trim your drives or buy yourself bigger ones.For sure external archives are the things were FDISR really shines.

3. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I assume that you have only one partition? if you repartition so that C: has only your operation system and programs and D: has your data you may find that C: is 5 gig or less and you will then get smaller snapshots.

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

My system partition[C:] = 10gb and contains 2 snapshots constantly.
    My data partition[D:] = 48gb and contains nothing but folders and data.
    Each partition is another harddisk and I have an external harddisk[E:] for backup.

Each snapshot contains Windows + Applications, but no data.
    One off-line snapshot, which is my main work snapshot and also my boot haven.
    One frozen on-line snapshot for internet, testing, ... a real garbage snapshot.

5. beethoven

I have read so many threads over the last few days re FirstDefense_ISR, Imaging Software and now Partitioning that I am all confused.

When designing my new build and partitioning the harddrive, where are the "normal" snapshots being saved?
    Do I only allow for space on the harddrive or do they have to go into the OS partition? In this case I would allow for more room for this partition.

I assume an external drive can only hold archives?

6. beethoven

I have read so many threads over the last few days re FirstDefense_ISR, Imaging Software and now Partitioning that I am all confused.

When designing my new build and partitioning the harddrive, where are the "normal" snapshots being saved?
    Do I only allow for space on the harddrive (in general) or do they have to go into the partition used for the Os so that I can boot? In this case I would allow for more room for this partition.

I assume an external drive can only hold archives?

7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Correct, Archived Snapshots can be stored anywhere including external drives. Bootable Snapshots can only be stored on your c:drive. FirstDefense took me a while to figure out also, sent at least 4 emails to tech support because this Wilders FirstDefense forum did not even exist then. But once I finally mastered it, I was in pc Heaven, so keep hanging in there! :cool:

Acadia

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Acadia is right.
    If you click on Tools/Options and the tabs Archives or Freeze, you can instruct FDISR to store archives and freeze storage on a specific harddisk other than "C", which can be a second or an external harddisk.

The freeze storage is better stored on a second harddisk or on "C", otherwise you have to keep your external harddisk ON and that's not good.
    A frozen snapshot uses the freeze storage during reboot, if it is stored on a turned OFF external harddisk, this might cause problems or no problems, never tested this. My assumption is that FDISR will automatically create a new freeze storage on "C" to get the boot done properly or simply change the frozen snapshot into a normal snapshot, in case the freeze storage is missing.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  9. beethoven

Just to clarify

Does c:drive refer to the partition containing the OS or could it be any other partition on the the same drive?

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yes. FDISR only covers the OS partition. I keep things simple, only one partition, data and all. FDISR protects everything. I do also protect data separately, but basically no matter what my problem, everything is protected.

Note, I don't store huge video files or gobs of photos's as part of my "data"

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.