sp2 how can i delete it?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by frank47, Aug 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frank47

frank47 Registered Member

since i downloaded sp2 boot time increased to 2 1/2 mins.Dont like it.want to get rid of it.Restored pc to earlier date,and it was gone,but it still was heavy mbs on system,so i deleted it from add & remove.And my system went crazy,so i restored again.Now its back on and i would like to get rid of it.Im a novice.so any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

2. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

HI frank..I tried to uninstall it in safe mode but it said, some programs might not work duh!! thats 80% of them since i installed it after a reformatt ! but then i figured theyle fix any bugs soon anyhow..and its ok i dont find it anoying anyhow.. I think i panicked a bit after the install...anyhow my boot time is fine? if anything the same u sure its sp2o_O regards maddawgz :eek:

3. frank47

Thanks Maddy I got the same messages in regular mode.I guess i`ll live with it

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am making a guess here but I installed sp2 then did a restore and reinstall of sp2 and it took a few gb's off my drive. I am thinking that all of the disc space it takes even after a restore is back up files. If I figure out how to get rid of the backups this leaves I will post it back here.

5. frank47

Thanks BigC. I`ll be waiting

6. bigc73542

I cleared the restore and I regained 18gbs on the Hdd. having to reinstall sp2 caused it to completely back up my os twice plus what was already on the restore partition. Frank47 you can get the lost gb's back by clearing the restore. you just wont be able to restore to before sp2. Sorry it took so long to post back.

bigc

7. frank47

Thanks BigC.I decided to live with it.Rather than risking screwing up my os again.

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

9. bigc73542

Clearing the restore won't hurt your system, it just deletes the restore points that are on there now. it will replace them with new ones as you use the comp. But the final decesion is yours, I just wanted to let you know that it won't hurt you pc to do it. I clear all of my restore points once a month.

:) surf safe :)

bigc

10. bigc73542

If you remove sp2 with add/remove you will have to reinstall all of the windows updates. If possible use your restore to go back before sp2. I read the info on having to reinstall all of the win updates on one of the microsoft info pages. don't remember just now which one when I remember I will post the url here.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2004
  11. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Uninstall SP2 like this.

Attached Files:

12. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

if u delte sp2 uninstall it wont it affect programs working? i put sp2 on then most of my programs or what happens? regards maddawgz

13. frank47

NadirahThanks for your response,but i did that and received all kinds of warnings that deleting this will make other programs inoperable.Every
    time i tweaked ok,got another warning etc.Until at the end of deletion,Ididnt recognize my desktop,and kept getting prompt to fix my colors on monitor.Plus a balloon popping up for every program on pc stating new program found.At this point i panicked went to system restore.Everything went back to normal with sp2 installed,and i have resigned myself that i will live with it.

14. frank47

To all you nice guys answering me,i have some more interesting news to add.Went to add& remove pressed remove for sp2.Message is Must be some mistake sp2 has been removed.do you want to remove it from your add and remove list? But it is still on my system(i think) because i have the firewall etc.No problems though except long boot time. o_O Must have something to do when i restored o_O

15. frank47

Ronjor,That was great website you suggested .Free chat with MS tech.Thank you.

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thanks for the feedback frank47! :)

17. iwod

iwod Registered Member

how many people do upgrade instead of Clean Install. ...

18. frank47

TO ALL YOU GREAT PEOPLE WHO RESPONDED TO MY ISSUE,I SAY THANK YOU .NOW I OWE TELLING YOU WHERE IM AT.MY NORTON FOR WHAT EVER REASON KEPT SHOWING DISABLED DURING BOOTUP.I COULDNT CHANGE IT.SO NOT CARING WHAT HAPPENED I WENT BACK TO THE 1 RESTORE DATE AVAILABLE,AND LOW AND BEHOLD SP2 WAS GONE, NORTON NORMAL,ALL MY WINDOWS UPDATES RETURNED TO MY ADD & REMOVE LIST.AND IM HAPPY AS J BIRD.THANKS AGAIN. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.