SP1 with OA or Comodo

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by NormanN, Mar 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NormanN

NormanN Registered Member

Just checking to see if it is a problem with my system, or the programs.

I just installed W7 and then SP1 immediately after. When I went to install OA Free, upon restart, the system semi-freezes (I can move the mouse, but the tray icons freeze and the OA shield never appears...restart doesn't work, have to hard reset). When I tried Comodo Firewall w/Defense + (did not install AV), I get a BSOD on restart. When it starts again, everything loads and seems to work, but I get random BSODs after that. The only BSODs I've seen were after Comodo, so I doubt it's my system.

Thanks,

NN

2. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

No issues with Comodo with SP1 here.
    You can post a bug report at forums.comodo.com to take devs look into the issue.

3. sded

sded Registered Member

I use OA++ with SP1 with no issues. Another place to post, but haven't seen the problem surfaced there. What were you using before you installed OA Free and then Comodo? What is your other security software?

4. NormanN

My preferred setup, that I have running great on 2 other non-SP1 boxes, is Avast 6, Prevx Facebook Version, and OA Free. I had Avast and Prevx loaded and working fine, and then tried OA Free. When that didn't work, I uninstalled, rebooted twice, and tried Comodo.

NN

5. sded

sded Registered Member

Have seen some OA conflicts with Avast! 6 that were resolved by excluding c:/program files/avast software under options/exclusions in OA. You could try adding the exclusion as you install OA Free (Wizard). Might make sense to install your firewall first, then avast! 6 though. Remove avast! with the removal tool at http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear6.exe. Then install OA free and add the avast! exclusion, reinstall avast!. Don't know whether Comodo has seen any similar problems; not a user.

6. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

Isn't it a good practice to exclude one security product from another and vice versa? thus eliminating potential conflicts...

Thanks,
    Harsha.

7. sded

sded Registered Member

I exclude other security software from firewall/HIPS where I can. In particular, with SP1, any firewall/HIPS is now learning about a whole lot of new programs, plus a bunch with the same names but different hashes/signatures. With OA, at least, you can install and trust what is there with SP1 before you try to also install /use other security software. Avast! 6 made it just a bit more complicated because they changed their name from "alwil software" to "avast software" for the folder you want to exclude.

8. NormanN

I'll try uninstalling Avast and Prevx and then re-installing OA. The thing that caught me out was on my other 2 boxes, I didn't follow any order...but I also can't remember what the order was. Back soon...

NN

9. sded

sded Registered Member

I haven't had any problems with Prevx. They claim to coexist well with other security software, and seem to do it. Also, the ++ part of OA++ has not conflicted with the other AVs. But things happen with Firewall/HIPS programs before the GUI gets loaded that can cause you problems-like invisible block by defaults-so be sure to do the exclusion. I have also installed OA with avast! already there using the exclusion. And sometimes it does or doesn't work for unknown reasons. :)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  10. NormanN

Success. I uninstalled AVAST and then ran the cleaner (thanks for the link). Then uninstalled Prevx. I downloaded the latest OA (same as what I had, but to be sure) and installed. The only thing I did different was I chose "Trust Everything On Computer", where before I had OA go through the check. I rebooted and got the "Learning" screen...never got that twice previously. All seems well with OA. Now to do AVAST...

NN

11. sded

sded Registered Member

Again, don't forget to exlude Avast! from OA first. :) When I forget I sometimes get a summary of the stuff that OA invisibly blocked at reboot.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  12. NormanN

I did, thanks. Made a folder called "AVAST Software", and excluded it. Got everything up and running.

The one thing that drives me nuts, is that when designating Firefox as "Run Safer"...it opened with the green border the first time, but now doesn't when double clicking the shortcut or clicking the task bar icon. If I chosse it from OA's Program List, it opens green. Drives me nuts....Sometimes it's green, sometimes not. Oh well, I'll assume it's still run with limited rights.

Thanks again!

NN

13. sded

sded Registered Member

14. pykko

pykko Registered Member

I have Windows 7 SP1 with Comodo firewall here. Everything runs well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.