SP Restore Optons and Upgrading HDD

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by huntnyc, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Will be upgrading laptop hard drive today hopefully but I am wondering, what would you recommend I choose in Shadow Protect 3.5.2 image restore options as I restore each partition to a new unformatted hard drive? I will be restoring six paritions with the Lenovo boot paritition and Lenovo recovery paritition with factory image along with system and data partitions. Should I restore the MBR from image, First Track, Disk Signature from the old hard drive image restoring to the new hard drive and thanks.

I am running vista business 32bit OS.

Gary

2. huntnyc

Sorry to reply to my own post but I urgently need your help guys. I am trying to move my sytem from a 320GB HDD t 500 GB HDD. As mentoioned I use SP 3.5.2 and I made an image of all partitions that include two Lenovo partitions for my Thinkpad - One at beginning of disk, preboot and the other at the end - factory image - necarry to keep their drive letters S for first one and Q for last one and then in between are my partitions - system and programs on C and then 4 data partitions in an extended partition.

Have tried to restore all partitions to new disk and it boots fine but the drive letter of the System Active Preboot partiton that should be S gets changed to another letter that I need for my data partition. I cannot change it because Windwos Vista Business will not allow me to do so. Can you advice what I should do to get my system and data to my new hard drive. I guess I could dump these Lenovo paritions but don't know if I will suffer any ill effects. I just did not want to have to reinstall everything. Thanks much.

Gary

3. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Gary,

I have not used SP in a while but why not image the entire old hard drive and then restore that image to the new raw (un-partitioned/unformatted) drive. Your new drive will be an exact replica of the old one, except that you will get some unformatted space at the end of your new drive (assuming your new drive is bigger than the old one) and when you boot into the OS from your new drive, you can format that into a new partition.

Also, restore the MBR from the image, the other options are optional.

4. huntnyc

Thanks for help. It was not pretty and I am keeping my old HDD as is just in case but I am writing from my new HDD with my various partitons and Lenovo factory partitions supposedly intact. I used Lenovo Factory Restore DVDs to restore the system to factory setting on new HDD. Then, went into SP CD and restored my partitions including my C drive (even twice with MBR from image, first track and disk sig) and finally it worked without changing Boot loading partition's drive letter from S - did have to reset the Lenovo Recovery partition to Q but no big deal. What a trial and error and still will keep old HDD ready just in case. Thanks again to all and hope this helps someone down the road.

Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.