Sound Recording

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sfi, May 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sfi

sfi Registered Member

Currently, I have a laptop with a microphone on it. I would like to record some music from my laptop, but I only have a double ended audio cable that does not work so well as the laptop picks up "static" noise from the microphone as well. Is there a program that directly records (no cables) the sounds from the computer and save it?

Thanks,
    SFI

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Record sounds from a computer - in what way?

Sounds on the computer are ... files, already recorded :) So you just need a tool to mix, interleave, sample, etc - Audacity.

BTW, VLC, Audacity and ffmpeg can all read data directly off devices, so if you configure them properly, you can use them to read the data off the sound card, video card etc.

Mrk

3. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

There are a ton of programs that are able to record any sound that goes through your sound card including many/most audio editing programs. A quick google will provide a list. I would mention those which I use but am not able to access my main PC just now so the only program I can recall of the top of my head is WavePad Sound editor which is shareware (its a very good and very easy to learn to use editing program by the way,,,,much easier to learn than any other sound editor I have tried). There are many free programs but the ones I have tried are not very good. No doubt there are good free ones but you will have to find them yourself (or hope someone else will respond to this thread with suggestions). Audacity will probably work but is serious overkill for something like this (and is not at all easy to use in my experience).

4. sfi

sfi Registered Member

Thanks, they are good ideas, I am going to try VLC. :D

5. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

I've been using Total Recorder for about 3 years. It's very good. Like the others said. Theirs a ton of applications out there. Total Recorder

6. sfi

sfi Registered Member

I tried using VLC, but when it saved the streamed file, it was a 35 MB mp3 that had nothing. What is the correct way to get the audio with VLC?

7. bgoodman4

I have never used the program so cannot help you with this. BTW there are so many programs out there that do this sort of thing that a simple one that works well should just be a matter of searching and trying. I have looked at many programs and decided the free ones were free for a reason. There is a free version of WavePad but its a bit of a challenge to find the download. I will see if I can find it for you and post the link if I can.

PS: I think I may have posted about the free version on this forum (but it may have been on another one).

EDIT: that did not take long, here it is

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=233293&highlight=wavepad

If you try this program and need help with it I might be able to accommodate. I am by no means a master of it but between the 2 of us we should be able to work things out. As I said it is a very easy program to learn to use and it outputs excellent results with edited audio files. If memory serves all you need to do to record is hit a button, turn on your audio, edit out the gap at the beginning and end of the audio and then save the file.

8. bgoodman4

OK, I hope you don't mind but I put together a step by step for you (see attached). Remember, you control the recording level by adjusting the PCs volume. For some reason moving the recording vol control in the recorder does nothing.

I hope this works for you.

Attached Files:

9. bgoodman4

last few frames

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.