SOS...

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by annie62, May 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annie62

annie62 Registered Member

I have upgraded to 2004 Norton Antivirus and Firewall. Question! Do I need to uninstall all the old firewall and antivirus files before I install the new software?

My browser works just fine as long as the firewall is turned off. I hope upgrading helps.

Thanks!
    annie :'(

Last edited: May 30, 2004
  2. sig

sig Registered Member

Did you currently have problems with your AV or firewall or you have other PC problems and you're upgrading in the hopes that will "cure" the problems? That may not necessarily be the case unless you isolate the cause of any problems to begin with. Since you provide no specific information in your post regarding your problems and the software currently installed (it may be Norton, but it's not clear that it is from your post), I can't help you on that count.

Your browser works as long as the firewall is turned off? Unless your PC is behind a properly configured router surfing the net without a firewall is not a safe practice. But since you haven't asked for help for that in this post, that's a potential problem that may result in other issues.

Especially in the case of AV's and firewalls, completely uninstalling the existing AV and firewall before upgrading to others is highly recommended to avoid conflicts between the old and the new programs. Even when upgrading from Norton products to Norton products, complete uninstalls are not only recommended but usually considered a requirement. Usually Symantec has information on its site regarding installs, upgrades and uninstalling its products. I'd advise checking out the Symantec site and searching for such information especially if you're upgrading their products. Symantec has some tools to assist in the complete removal of its products, since the normal uninstall procedure is "dirty" leaving bits of the program behind on the PC that may cause problems with subsequent installs of other Symantec or other vendor's products.

Last edited: May 30, 2004
  3. annie62

annie62 Registered Member

Thanks, sig. Sorry I gave so little information. This thing *had* me in tears! I have successfully downloaded Norton's Internet Security package. I will probably never use them again but right now I have them for a year and can update for another year (for a price, of course).

I was using Norton 2002 antivirus and firewall, I updated in April and since then browsing the internet has been very unpleasant. It was so slow that it would take an hour just to get to a forum and post a thread. It is "fixed" now, for the time being!
    When I went to Symantic to update I got the message that they no longer supported 2002 software.

I did uninstall the 2002 version, thanks for the advice! I am pretty computer illiterate but anxious to learn.

Thanks again,
    annie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.