sorry for all the questions, but........

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by INTOXSICKATED, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. INTOXSICKATED

INTOXSICKATED Registered Member

is it safe to say that all the programs listed in my security tab, should be put in my protection tab as well?

2. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi INTOXSICKATED,

For now, I believe, the Protection List is limited to 250 items. I have about 200 items in my Security List, but only 45 in my Protection List. I prefer only to protect security apps and few other processes that autostart and run all the time, or that require special permissions. (That includes the system processes that are added during Learning Mode). I don't think it is necessary to add an app that I rarely run or an installer that runs only once. For those, the hash checking function of the Security List should be sufficient protection/warning against tampering.

Nick

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  3. earth1

earth1 Registered Member

Hi INTOXSICKATED,

I think you probably don't want to protect all the programs listed in your security tab. Giving a program PG's protection could be thought of as saying, "I depend on this program and I trust it, so treat it differently than an ordinary program." By default, it will be authorized to read and modify other PG-protected programs, though you can adjust that as you choose. A malicious program could use "modify protected apps" to alter (and probably kill) most/all of your security programs.

I usually PG-protect programs for the following reasons:
    1) Vital to Windows' security/stability (winlogon, userinit, lsass, csrss, services, svchost, rundll32, etc.)
    2) My security applications: firewall, AV, AT, AS, PG (procguard, pgaccount, dscuserprot), etc.
    3) Internet apps: Browser, Email, IM, Download Mgr, etc. (anything that gets thru your firewall to the internet)
    4) Applications that need special privileges: Legitimate programs that only function correctly when they can install a hook or a driver or access physical memory.
    5) Persitent, unwanted programs: I never run Outlook Express, but you can't be sure it's really gone. I protect it (just in case) but I remove all PG-authorizations.

There is no such thing as a program that I trust "completely". It comes down to a compromise between risk/functionality with PG-protection vs. risk/functionality without PG-protection.

There may be other good reasons to protect applications. For instance, MS-Office is a high-profile program that can be targeted by malware. I don't use it, and I'm not sure about pros/cons of protection for it.

EDIT: Oops, mostly what Nick said (so much more succintly :) ).

4. INTOXSICKATED

INTOXSICKATED Registered Member

thank you both for the response, it's making more and more sense as time goes by.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

As another approach, since my computer is on the internet all day long, I also protect any application that I use for any length of time while online. This does include all of Microsoft Office.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.