Sorry, Facebook haters: It's not going anywhere

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, May 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgell

tgell Registered Member

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

A few comments and I'm done :)

Successful shareholder activism is the exception and not the rule. Pressure can be brought to bear on promoters only after they've blundered; otherwise, they maintain an air of infallibility.

3. Tomwa

Tomwa Registered Member

Is it bad that all I really want is for Facebook to crash and burn?

I'm just so sick of the whole stupid thing.

4. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Something so easy to hate,and so easy not to be a part of.

5. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I said I'm done but I lied. Must share this:
    ""Facebook stock will continue to be volatile, but before long, there will be a 50-50 chance it will be up or down on a given day," Ritter says."

6. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Not necessarily so easy not to be a part of; check out this link previously posted by dw426.

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Very nice summary of Facebook as a whole. Lots of time though is spent pointing fingers at others when we should be pointing at ourselves. We're the ones who continue to use these services after the "oh my god, what the hell are they doing?!" stories break. We're the ones who, after reading stories like the one you linked, get freaked out for all of 3 seconds, then click our Facebook bookmark and start posting status updates.

Sure, like Eric Schmidt, Mark is an arse who frankly doesn't give a damn about his users, so long as they continue to use the services. However, he's only an arse for as long as we continue to let him be.

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Yeah, I'm seeing more sites every day that won't work properly if you block any of the social media links/buttons or the trackers.

10. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I don't like Facebook because i'm not really into social media BUT i wouldn't like it to disappear, it's a great website and very handy. :D :thumb:

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I don't get it, lol. If you don't like it and don't use it, how again is it a "great website and very handy"? :D It's only handy if the following apply:

1. A person can't use a phone

2. Can't use email.

3. Can't use IM

4. Is forced to use it by an employer.

I get the "long lost friends" thing for using FB..but I have to say, if either friend (or relative) is not up to using one of the previous methods...perhaps contact isn't as welcome as thought? When you take away all other forms of communication, you're left with a service that allows people to be nosy and to be used for profit by people they don't even know. Not to mention it's a "great website and very handy" for stalkers, a PI, government intrusion, LEA, and..well, you get my point.

12. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

If blocking those "like" buttons and other similar garbage breaks a site, then that's not a site I want to see anyway.

13. guest

guest Guest

People use it to share jokes, photos, comments, works, etc, with a larger audience and many friends at the same time. There are also groups of discussions, group chats etc.

14. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well, though full breakage isn't the norm yet, it's getting there. Also, as spoken about earlier, if any of these services go down or have some sort of site issues, any affiliated links/buttons on a different website can be affected as well. The more websites that use Facebook and such for tracking and such, the worse the problem is going to get.

15. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

This can't be a good thing. It's even kinda scary that one social site can almost 'break' the Internet.

16. guest

guest Guest

Embrace the social site and stop being anti-social = solution.

:D

17. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Now why would they share all that with people they don't know? And if they do know them, what's wrong with email/IM and all that? Sharing with a larger audience is exactly what causes issues to begin with. Facebook is popular because "the cool kids" started using it. That's really all there is to it, and how everything becomes popular. Hell of a price to risk doing what the "cool kids" do, eh? Lol.

18. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Should we all go on picnics with the Borg too? :rolleyes: :D

19. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It can happen with any 3rd party linked with the website in question. It's the nature of the net.

20. guest

guest Guest

No Facebook has lots of other things, it's a platform of apps for example. People use it to communicate with many at the same time, to game with friends, to share interesting findings: to socialize. For example, many classes have groups in Facebook to share advises of home-works, tests, etc. There are group chats, etc. It's very very useful. Some people have no problem in sharing things with larger audiences and the issues pale in comparison to the benefits.

21. guest

guest Guest

Of course no, you're free to keep your paranoid *** out of FB. :D

22. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well now see, that's where we'll disagree. I find the risks to be nowhere near worth the supposed benefits, all of which have alternatives that don't require wondering what Mark will do with that shared data and who has access to it for what price.

23. guest

guest Guest

Facebook has many privacy controls, you can customize many many things. I think your prejudice against FB derives from the fact that you never took it seriously and never really used it. Create an account and check the privacy controls of that site, they are very powerful.

24. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It was a joke, lol.

25. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I'm not prejudice against Facebook, I'm against sharing data period ;) The privacy controls, while much, much improved, still leave plenty to be desired, and we're leaving out the fact that the company itself is more of a threat to data than any other users we may block or add.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.