Sorry, Facebook haters: It's not going anywhere

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, May 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

Source.

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

http://www.pcworld.com/article/255866/facebook_vs_google_who_will_win.html#tk.hp_new

Not necessarily a counter-argument. However, I see the point on both sides. As I said in a different thread though, shareholders are involved now, and so are the various regulatory agencies around the world. Mark will have to make a lot of people happy now besides himself and his users, and he'll have to play by rules other than the ones he makes. Facebook also has the issue that most new gains are coming from foreign users, via mobile, and Facebook doesn't know how to monetize mobile yet. Bringing in money is now the main priority of Facebook, and with money, either more of less of it, comes problems.

As far as advertising dollars go, it will be a long time before it's anywhere near what Google has a hold on.

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  3. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Facebook was once a nice social site. Now its interface sucks, and is full of spam and ads

4. guest

guest Guest

I don't see spam and ads in Facebook and I have more than 500 FB friends. Weird!*

* But I did some tweaking in FB settings and I use some nice Firefox's extensions...

5. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Neither do I. There again, I've never actually used Facebook. ;)

6. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

i don't use fb..but i don't hate it..

7. tgell

tgell Registered Member

The problem with the facebook IPO was Morgan Stanley had to spend quite a bit of money, more than they envisioned, to keep the stock from falling below the offer price of $38. Everybody thought the stock was going to take off, at least doubling in price, but at the end of the day was only up about 23 cents.

Article

8. Boost

Boost Registered Member

No spam or ad issues with my facebook account.

9. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2012/05/20/the-failure-of-facebooks-ipo/

The Failure of Facebook's IPO

10. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I dont hate face book,I just dont care to use it.That being said, facebook is probably a goodway for people to stay in touch with friends or family.

11. guest

guest Guest

More food for thought:

12. Hungry Man

Don't know anything about Google's IPO.

I don't care much about Facebook but this topic is the first time I've seen anyone say it was good.

It opened at 42 dollars and dropped to 38. There's no way of knowing if it would continue to drop because the underwriting banks/companies would not allow that (they had pre-ordained purchases to keep it at 38 or above.)

edit: I have no strong feelings about this one way or the other. I'm just saying I've seen mixed reactions.

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  13. guest

guest Guest

From the article you quoted:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2012/05/20/the-failure-of-facebooks-ipo/

14. Hungry Man

Not arguing that that isn't the case. They made a ton of money. Maybe that's all there is to it.

15. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

A lot of investors dropped out already after they made their banks of cash. I still don't know how good this will turn out for Mark, who has absolutely no experience with what he'll be getting into. He's got to make mountains of cash with Facebook user data..and that will get the government looking at them. Revenue growth has already slowed down.

Well, I'm not Nostradamus nor Donald Trump, but I'm not looking at Facebook right now like some are. I think the enthusiasm is a bit too high. We'll see what it looks like in a few months. It could blow up in a good way or a bad way, and unless we have our money in it, we can just sit back and watch the show.

16. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Same here. I used to be quite reluctant even at the idea of creating a FB account, but then a friend convinced me, and in a matter of weeks I could connect with people whom I haven't seen for more than 40 years! In a pre-internet era that would have been impossible.

Obviously there are privacy issues, but one can really calibrate the amount of information which flows in and out of the account. FB is not for everyone, but I can understand why it is so popular.

17. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Any thoughts I had of joining Facebook were quickly squashed when I learned they keep a facial recognition database of every picture posted on the site, unless you turn it off. It's on by default. I couldn't, in good conscience, support a site that plays those kind of games.

I've never been to FB, but I do know the majority of their income is from ads. If you aren't seeing ads it must be because you're blocking them somehow. You can't go to any site on the Web these days without connecting to something from Facebook. They're as bad as Google in that respect.

I don't hate FB. The herd is crazy about it apparently. Nothing the herd does surprises me anymore. :)

18. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Facebook faces crucial week after modest debut

Article

19. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Any idea what exactly does the underwriter commit to? I think that in the case of debt instruments, they agree to buy any unsold portion of the offering but when an equity IPO is oversubscribed aren't they home free?

20. tgell

tgell Registered Member

It may be explained better here. Morgan Stanley gets out okay, but the lower down mutual funds and dealers that bought can get screwed.

Facebook and the Greenshoe option.

Also here.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  21. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Thanks! From the first link:
    The second link is too technical for me :(

22. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

"Facebook stock falls below IPO price"

htxp://money.cnn.com/2012/05/21/markets/facebook-stock/index.htm?hpt=hp_t1

23. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

While not spelling out doom, that news certainly doesn't make things any easier for FB. The whole thing was completely botched, but it's too early to deem anything a failure. The problem with the "wait and see" attitude though is that most people playing the game don't have that attitude.

24. guest

guest Guest

Facebook stock down almost 11 percent in second day

25. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

The underwriters, NASDAQ, it was all one big ball of fail. For NASDAQ, it could be a very, very expensive fail. Not to mention Mark is now worth 2 billion less. Fine by him I'm sure, lol, but not fine by the people he answers to now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.