Sophos AV issues with latest definitions

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by stenews, Dec 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stenews

stenews Registered Member

Hi to everyone,
    I'm a Sophos AV user and in with the last virus definition I can see that Sophos has became incredible sensible to many sage programs!
    Is there a chat or specific place where one can to post or to submit claims?

Thanks,
    Stefano.

2. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

3. stenews

Hi vijayind,
    are you Sophos user? are you having my same problems?
    I mean, I have Ad-Aware 2008 that, as you know, comes with the Lavasoft anti virus extending engine.
    Many files and programs that I'm trying to install or run are pretty safe for aaw instead of sophos "always" say that they are suspicious.
    It's really something out of any controls. o_O
    How do you use this programs?

thanks and bye,
    Stefano.

4. vijayind

Hi Stephano,
    No, unfortunately I am not a Sophos user. But I did run a trial of it on some select machines.
    Unlike many other AV products, Sophos AV also has a Host Intrusion Protection System (HIPS) module similar to Mamutu, Threatfire. So just like them it detects some unusual file as probably suspicious, due to their behavior. See:
    http://www.sophos.com/support/knowledgebase/article/23949.html

Now you can Authorize the file found by Sophos as suspicious, to allow the user to use the file and ask Sophos to be quiet about this file.
    http://www.sophos.com/support/knowledgebase/article/25227.html

If you want you can also disable Sophos HIPS detection by:
    But this is not adviced, as Sophos may miss detection of 0-day malware. If you are installing many software (which will modify registry & system causing Sophos HIPS to alert you ), you may want to disable HIPS in Sophos. Then after install, enable HIPS back again.

Hope that helped.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  5. stenews

Thanks mate for your help and sorry for my terrible late to answering :oops:

Bye,
    Stefano.

6. nasdaqms

nasdaqms Registered Member

:) you are welcome.

7. vijayind

If I could be of any help, then its all worth it :D

Have a Happy & Safe computing...

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

bit OT, but has sophos dropped in price?

i fail to see how anyone can afford it if the price remains the same, even for businesses, why pay more?

its a shame, id love them to be cheaper, being a UK company and all. ;)

9. jlo

jlo Registered Member

You know you can get Webroot antivirus which uses the Sophos engine. I guess this is the cheapest way for the home user to use there product.

Cheers

Jlo

10. gery

gery Registered Member

it is not the same though. Webroot is nothing like Sophos but for the price thing

11. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

LOL i know, but never will I let such bad software on my machine again, they should label their software W32.webroot, or even webrootkit

.... So I guess Sophos is still shockingly overpriced?

12. vijayind

Yes it is. But its reseller in my part of the world, are being highly aggressive. And are doling discounts to wean people from other solutions.

Like I said earlier, we trialled it on some machines. Really liked its ability to have a good HIPS which doesn't bother PatchGuard on Vista x64. But the worm was not big enough for us to bite....

13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

fair enough, they want to appeal to businesses, but.......

most AV's do those licences already, aswell as home licences at 1/10 their price.

are they nuts? :blink:

14. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

I have to agree with Dr.Web,a product would have to show a huge superiority over its competitors to begin to justify the mammoth price,which although decent,Sophos certainly doesn't :doubt:

15. vijayind

I don't know.. Sophos does hold its own against most of the competition. Its a reputable product and most AV tests show the same.

The price .... Well, I guess they are marketing Sophos as a volume product for enterprise. As I see it Sophos is not tremendously overpriced. McAfee TP Advanced costs around 200 pounds ( for 5 users) while Sophos Security Suite costs 232.50 pounds. Now this is the company price, the actual reseller mostly give some discount for enterprise wide purchase, so the difference when we compared was marginal.

Chris, you are comparing home license (5 users) with enterprise offering of Sophos. Which is bound to be more pricey, since as you correctly put the Home user is subsidized.

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

so, where is the home user licence price? :cautious:

... nobody say SpySweeper. *lol*

17. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

18. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

wow, quick.... hand me my cheque book, even my credit card limit isnt that high * sarcasm*

lol that sucks,

i can see people who want to use sophos, go looking for one of those torrent websites, rather that than pay those stupid prices. o_O

why do sophos not offer a normal priced home licence?

no staff on here who can comment?

19. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

20. vijayind

MacStorm, see this thread :
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=222950

That site is either not updated or wrong. The price shown is actually for 5 user pack for SMB. You can find the listing for the same on Sophos.com .
    So again, its not meant for home its for SMB. For home look elsewhere.

Chris, Tell me do you have a Aston Martin V8 Vantage in your garage inorder to support British Motoring ?? If yes, then you can afford to patronize Sophos for home use as well.
    But realistically, I imagine you have a car that's more family friendly like a Rover, Honda or Toyota. Like that best you get a made for home product instead.
    Aston Martin is not a bad manufacturer and Sophos AV is not crap either. They are just in different niches, hopefully this new year you will have the good fortune of joining that niche. Till then ....

21. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Still, the price is a bit cheaper than one from sophos.com, £120 (single ?) vs £133.00 (MSRP for 5 users, for 1 year)

Their pricing rates are very confusing to say the least, you could have a bad day and you would be landed here £267.75 for the same SBE 1 year-5 user.

I don't know i'm not interested i just posted the link as a FWIW, as it's clearly stated 'single user edition' price there.

To get the best deal for a home-user, i suggest to request more pricing options here and telling them your budget, say £20 :D as andyman35 suggested above :p

22. vijayind

Sophos earlier had many dealers. Now they only front from their network via BuySophos.com . They spread mis-information more than needed.

Yeah the 267.75 probably includes the dealer cut, but my point remains same. Sophos pricing is not bad, for the intended audience (i.e) Enterprise.

23. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

how rude of you,

are you trying to be smart or rude, i cant quite figure that out, but maybe you have watched too many James Bond movies as you dont know anything about British motorsport ;)

you dont think i can afford sophos AV? :doubt:

You should know that i have a very well paid job, and have no problems purchasing any software ;)

but should i pay it, or anyone pay it, when i know its x10 overpriced?....... when there are other AV's that offer decent home-licences, at a 'normal' price?

sorry, but i havnt reached that level of insanity quite yet. :blink:

but do you not think they should have a Home Licence price?

24. vijayind

I am sincerely sorry, Chris. I never meant to offend you or British Motorsport.

My post i just wanted to exemplify that like Aston Martin, Sophos was making products for a particular market and not general consumption. Hence its products and policies need to be viewed in different light.

Why they don't make product for the masses and only for a select group, is not clear to me.

I never meant to imply that you can or can't afford. I meant only imply that the same, would be probably be unwise.

25. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok, not a problem.

i do wonder though why they dont have a home licence, or if they do.... why its not cheaper.

puzzles me... :blink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.