Sonos Music System

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by s2will, Nov 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s2will

s2will Registered Member

Hi - I'm newbie to Eset but not firewalls in general, and I think I may be regretting my purchase........ Has anyone else had problems with Smart Security 4 and a Sonos music system?
    Since installing Eset my sonos controller can't access the network drives it needs to play music. If I uninstall Eset all is OK. I have tried all the usual checks I can find - my home network areas are all trusted zones, (my printer etc all work). If I uninstall Eset & reinstall it, the sonos works until I next turn off my pc, then on restarting Eset kills the network connection somehow. Has anyone got any clues or similar faultso_O
    Also the Sonos desktop controller doesnt work at all with Eset running, but I can get around that if i can get my hand controller to work.
    thanks

Oh - I'm on XP sp3 with no other problems!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  2. RyanH

RyanH Eset Staff Account

Hey s2will,

Please follow the steps below:

1. Open the main program window by clicking the ESET icon next to the system clock or by clicking 'Start' -> 'All Programs' -> 'ESET' -> 'ESET Smart Security' or 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus'.

2. Press the F5 key to display the Advanced Setup window.

3. From the Advanced Setup tree, click 'Antivirus and antispyware' -> 'Protocol Filtering'.

For ESET Smart Security users, click 'Personal Firewall' -> 'Protocol Filtering'.

4. Select the 'Applications marked as Internet browsers or e-mail clients' option.

5. From the Advanced Setup tree, click 'Antivirus and antispyware' -> 'Web access protection' -> 'HTTP' -> 'Web browsers' and make sure that only the applications you want scanned with the Internet filter are selected. Typically only real web browsers (iexplorer.exe, firefox.exe, etc.) will need to be selected. Repeat this step for email clients (outlook.exe, thunderbird.exe, etc.) by clicking 'POP3' -> 'Email Clients'.

6. Click 'OK' to save your changes and then restart your computer.

Additionally, you may need to exclude the program from the ESET scanner.

3. echoplex

echoplex Registered Member

However, from ESET SS4 Help file:
    "Starting with Windows Vista Service Pack 1 and Windows Server 2008, the new Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) architecture is used to check network communication. Since the WFP technology uses special monitoring techniques, the Browsers section is not available."

I'm having the same problem with my Sonos system. From Sonos' website, here are the ports that the system uses:
    I have tried setting up rules to allow this for Sonos, but to no avail. However, it' is possible that I didn't do it correctly. I had a look though, and it appears that ESET already has rules set up that prevent some of this traffic. Do these already existing rules override any new ones that are created? I'm a bit beyond my knowledge here, so I may be talking rot.

Is there a way to completely exclude an application from firewall monitoring? Presumably the ports being blocked by ESET are blocked for a reason, so I don't want to just open them to everything.

Thanks,
    echoplex

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.