Sometimes NOD32 does not "keep up" with the latest virus definitions - Why?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by mr greek, Jan 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr greek

mr greek Registered Member

Hi All:

This is what I am experiencing:

The current NOD32 virus definitions are:
    v.1950 (20061231)

For the past half a day I have manually pressed on the UPDATE button.
    I have done this over 20 times.
    For some reason though, the virus signatures remain at the prior update (ie v.1949).
    Does anybody know why this is happening?
    ((( BTW: this happens on and off. Most of the time though, UPDATE works as expected )))
    Image-0001.gif

Regards & Happy New Year to All!!!!

2. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

I'm guessing it's because you use the trial version.
    I have the full version and updating never fails :)

3. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Thats not going to encourage people to "upgrade" to the full version,all most users will think is:-"update service isn't reliable!"Trail version should update same and as reliably as the full version if Eset want to increase their customer base

Last edited: Jan 1, 2007
  4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Agreed. This update problem is more likely to deter rather than attract potential users. IMO, any trial versions should not be "crippled" in any way.

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Yeah , right , and all those crack users will load the servers (they paid nothing) . Do you know many cracked NOD32 are used in Bulgaria - thousands and thousands ... NOD32 is the most used AV illegally here and they use trial version which they crack to be used 10000000000000 days . See the attachment , it is from a BG forum poll . This forum belongs to a company (free hosting company) which is famous to host cracked products (music , software ...) . Most (even ALL) of this forum's members use crack products . This is a current (up-to-date) poll , see how many use NOD

If they have the same priority ... sorry . :thumb:

Real trial users can experience NOD32's power even with not always updated definitions (1949 is not a big problem) and also they have (advanced) heuristics. Crack users are problem because they are less likely to pay for NOD32

Happy New Year 2007 !

Attached Files:

6. steve1955

Re cracked copies:-surely thats up to eset to disable non-genuine versions,they DO have a list of genuine users don't they,they are supposed to be a security software vendor!!:-isn't it about time the implemented some security re cracked copies of their own producto_O
    You have such a blinkered attitude its unreal!Everybody and anybody else is to blame for any problems with Nod APART from Eset in your eyes!
    PS does stopping trial version updating correctly stop these users of cracked copies using them:-No,so your reason is a load of bull!

7. Blackcat

The same old story. Eset seems to be the only AV vendor who use this excuse for a "crippled" trial version. Why don't Eset use a blacklist rather that restricting the trial version.

As a licensed NOD user, Eset still need, IMHO,to increase their Server capacity.

8. steve1955

You reading my mind(lol)
    Steve

9. Blackcat

Percentages mean nothing. What about putting some actual figures in. Kaspersky seem to be coping even though they are the most cracked AV in China!

10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

That's because ESET's trial versions work differently , NOD32 Standart/Lan Update editions does not use license keys(files) like the product I think you think of .:p :p

11. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Blackcat , I don't want to argue . ESET as well as many other companies are working against software piracy but this is quite a difficult battle as you probably know :)

Regards!

12. steve1955

Thats a problem of Esets making!!!

13. Blackcat

But Steve and I are simply pointing out that this present policy is not likely to attract new users to Eset, particularly if they have a lot of update problems during the 30-trial period.

We are simply trying to improve the product not bash it!

14. ASpace

ASpace Guest

:thumb:

15. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

I disagree. It is a problem the crackers are creating. Now, IMO, this thread has gone OT far enough. I have had my say and am through with it.
    @ mr greek. If you wade through all the posts you will find the answer you are seeking. My guess is you are running a trial version which has secondary priority to paid versions when it comes to updates. Right or wrong, this is the way, at least for now that Eset chooses to handle it. I run the paid for vers. on 2 of my 3 PCs and will continue to do so. This is after using the trial version. I was aware of the "hic-up" in the updating procedure and still chose to use the product for several reasons. The final choice is up to you of course. :D

16. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

I dont think it's as easy as what you think for Eset to just simply disable the non genuine versions. When you look at it all versions are really genuine and this also includes the crack ones, the only diff is some hacker has written a serial that allows NOD32 to last for many many years infact more than a lifetime. To me my definition of a non genuine product is a immitation of somthing else like comparing a genuine Rolex against a fake one. And NOD is not the only AV out there that has been cracked, look at MS Windows and I will guarantee that there will be a crack 100% version of Vista, you wait and see. Also take a look at all there other AV software out there, there for sure is crack versions of that. If Eset were to just simply disable this and that, they could also at the same time be disabling updates for those who have bought NOD32 and paid for it. And also dont forget that alot of the time the software updates or dat file updates are monitored by the server and to be honnest I dont think there will be some person sitting there 24/7 looking to see who is using genuine and who isnt etc.

17. steve1955

Now lets have a think about this,yes have though about it now!:-don't eset keep a record of legitimate user names etc and who this is registered to?
    It must be possible(not easy I know)to make sure that ONLY genuine users can update their product after the trial period has expired

18. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Trial users should not have any problems updating NOD32. I've just installed a trial version and it updated to the latest version fine in less than 5 seconds. If someone's having issues, it must be caused by something else (e.g. cracked versions using a pirated update server).

19. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I never had such problems when I an the trial version.

20. steve1955

Marcos:-thought you'd have been using full version by now(lol)
    Seriously,are you saying Eset do block updates on pirated copies,if so that is v.good news!

21. Mascot

Mascot Registered Member

The problem is that as long as the trial is as open as it is, there's no convenient way to distinguish between a legit trial and a trial that's been extended by reseting the timer.

If anyone wants to place blame for the trial severs being overloaded, it would be the ones that abuse the trial by extending it beyond the trial period.

Personally I don't think being a few hours late to get an update when trialing an AV is the end of the world. Many AV trials will give you no updates at all. Or just 1 for the entire trial period. NOD is among the kindest there is.

22. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I've installed a trial version on a virtual machine today, it was updated in 5 seconds to the latest version (about 4,5 MB in total).

23. mr greek

mr greek Registered Member

Hi All:

For what it's worth, I'm the one who started off this thread.

As of 20 minutes ago, all updates came through ... at last :)

I am now current (ie upto ver 1952)

It would appear that this update delay was just "one of those things"

Also, it would appear that others experienced similar issues based on other similar posts on this forum.

Thanks to all for all your assistance.

Regards & Happy New Year To ALL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.