Someone posted that "Hackers bypassed ZoneAlarm(NO KIDDING)"...

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by CoolWebSearch, Oct 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

Hi,everybody!

I just found on the net that an poster named Ishtaria said that hackers have broke through ZoneAlarm and shut downed for a few minutes and that the only firewall hackers could not break through Outpost Pro!!!

This was posted on CastleCops.com on March 31st, 2005.!
    Here the exact words:

I had been using Zone Alarm, and started having problems with hackers breaking into my system over my broadband connection. They were able to get through Zone Alarm (and actually turn off the firewall) within a few minutes. Sygate was even worse!
    After trying several other firewalls, Outpost Pro was the ONLY one they could not get through!

Here is the link if you don't trust me:
    http://www.castlecops.com/r150-Outpost_Firewall_Pro.html
    Look for name "Ishtaria" and than you'll see her post.

QUESTION:
    If ZoneAlarm has been bypassed by hackers this means it's not safe at all as PC reviews say that it is.
    However, you must note that this ZA's version must not had self-protection.
    So,what does it mean?
    Does it mean ZA is not safe/secure anymore?
    How this could happened?

If ZA couldn't block hackers,and Outpost did block hackers/does it mean Outpost is more effective against hackers?

Or Ishtaria was using a FREE version of both ZA and Outposto_O
    Because I've read that someone approximately in the same year(2005.) said that he/she was using FREE version of ZoneAlarm and Outpost,and Outpost was the only freeware which was able to block attacks that even ZoneAlarm couldn't block!

Can anyone help me with this,PLEASEo_O
    Thanks!

2. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

Re: Hackers bypassed ZoneAlarm(NO KIDDING)-for firewall/security experts and others!!!

I can imagine that things have changed, we are two years further in time and all firewalls have changed, become stronger, etc.

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

A two and a half year old short review comment, posted without any description of how the supposed hackers got through his system running Zone Alarm, is hardly any reason to panic or to assume Zone Alarm has any such problem.

I changed your thread title to be less sensationalized since there is neither proof nor substance in the reference posted.

4. CoolWebSearch

That's absolutely true,to support that ZA protection was excellent even in that time,my friend used it from year 2004. and he had no intrusions-there is a possibility that Ishtaria didn't know how to use ZA,or how to configure ZA.

Cheers!

5. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Re: Hackers bypassed ZoneAlarm(NO KIDDING)-for firewall/security experts and others!!!

And in many cases more bloated :D

6. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Old, out-of-date, unsubstantiated, FUD, posts.

7. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Whenever you hear "hackers breaking into my system", you can be sure you're dealing with clueless noobs.

8. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

The argumentation Ishtaria made contains no usefull or sound information, just a personal opinion (that the only firewall she likes is Outpost Pro). So I would doubt the reliability of her "information". But even if it's true, that means only that the default configuration of Outpost Pro in 2005 was better than ZA or Sygate, and that she was not able to configure them properly.

9. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

Then what exactly was the point of posting about something that occurred over two years ago?

10. CoolWebSearch

Honestly,I don't know.
    But what I do know is that ZA didn't have its own self-protection.
    I also don't understand that my friend who was using ZA Pro from year 2003.,was NEVER infected-ZA Pro protected fully protected him.
    I honestly can't explain how hackers were able to bypass Ishtaria's ZoneAlarm-unless it was a free version?

My friend(his name is Tony) had only one thing that happened top him-basically an worm has shutdowned ZA,so this could be the answer,it seems to me that ZA in that period,and also no OTHER SOFTWARE firewall didn't have SELF-PROTECTION,which means firewall could easily be eaten by malware,but I still don't understand,how did Outpost block those haCKERS,AND ZA and Sygate didn'to_O??
    It just doesn't make any sense to me.

11. CoolWebSearch

Also,look what Nebulus said,he is right:
    The argumentation Ishtaria made contains no usefull or sound information, just a personal opinion (that the only firewall she likes is Outpost Pro). So I would doubt the reliability of her "information". But even if it's true, that means only that the default configuration of Outpost Pro in 2005 was better than ZA or Sygate, and that she was not able to configure them properly.

Nebulus is completely right-DEFAULT LEVEL is not enough for protection,really it isn't.
    If you have default level settings on Outpost you will still have 3 spywares installed on your computer(it depends on the website,I tested myself)-that's why I always use the maximum possible protection.
    Also,look at the latest review of Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0,you'll see that Neil Rubenking in PC Mag specifically said that Kaspersky blocked almost all of the malware installations,but only AFTER HE CONFIGURED IT AS MUCH AS HE COULD ON THE highest possible level!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.