Someone Please Help

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DoeZ0763, May 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoeZ0763

DoeZ0763 Registered Member

I am so messed up now I don't know where to begin...I recently deleted all my Norton...I downloaded the NOD32 and also Kapserky(sp?) and also added to my ZoneAlarm the ZoneAlarm AntiVirus...paid for that...well ever since that my system is freezing up on me...I can't even get thru scanning my system...Its been over 4 hours now and I haven't been able to get thru anything successfully...I'm not sure if this is where I should be posting this but I need help really bad...I cleaned...defragmented and disk cleanup...but haven't been able to complete any other scanning...Thanks for any help or advice you can offer:)

2. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Hi DoeZ0763,

You mentioned that you deleted Norton's AV (any particular version?) and that you "downloaded" NOD32, Kaspserky, and "added" ZoneAlarm AntiVirus. Does this mean you "installed" these three anti-virus products on you machine? If so, no doubt they are conflicting with each other.

Also, please consider the possibility that Norton did not uninstall properly. Norton AV is notoriously difficult to completely remove. What steps did you take to uninstall Norton?

Let us know what you did to uninstall Norton, and what is installed on your machine now. It would also help to know versions of these programs you mentioned (particularly Norton) and what OS your PC is using.

Best regards
    Optigrab

3. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Going a bit overboard with antivirus programs aren't we?

Generally it's not the best idea to run 3 AV's if you have real-time scanning enabled for all 3. Only want to run 1 with RT scanning. If you do, that could be the source of your problems. Try uninstalling NOD32 and see if it helps. I'd also disable the antivirus in ZoneAlarm (assuming you have the security suite). Just use Kaspersky, best overall AV of the bunch in my opinion.

Also, disable the Antivirus monitoring in ZA.

When you say you accidentally deleted Norton. Did you accidentally uninstall or accidentally delete a folder from program files?

If you uninstalled Norton (AntiVirus or Internet Security), might still need to delete a few registry entries. Symantec has tools called RNIS or RNAV. Go to symantec support and download the appropriate one.

As Optigrab said, knowing what OS you're using will help as well.

4. DoeZ0763

Ok...I uninstalled my Norton...basically becuz it was up for renewal and I felt like something new. I went to the Norton on my system and just uninstalled it as it said to...I downloaded both NOD32...don't know what version...and I downloaded Kaspersky5.0 trial version...I have ZoneAlarm on my system but purchased the AntiVirus also...I am running Windows XP Home...I haven't uninstalled anything til you tell me too after reading this. Thanks *puppy*

5. tazdevl

That helps. First thing is go to Symantec, download and run the registry tool I mentioned. Reboot when you're done.

Next, turn off Antivirus monitoring in ZoneAlarm.

My recommendation would be to remove ZoneAlarm AV and NOD32 as Kaspersky does the best job overall with viruses, worms and trojans.

Reboot and try again.

6. DoeZ0763

Can you tell me where I am gonna find the registry tools to download? I went to that site and had no clue...I also turned off the ZA AntiVirus...what should I do because I purchased that one...$19.95.. I am also uninstalling NOD32...Should I go with just the Kaspersky?

7. tazdevl

www.symantec.com, Support, don't use the automated support assistant (deny the popup), find the appropriate product via the drop down menus, put RNAV (if you had Antivirus) or RNIS (if you had Internet Security) in as the search term. Should be able to find it.

ZoneAlarm antivirus, send them an email and ask them for a refund.

Go with Kaspersky as it does the best job with the 3 kinds of baddies, viruses, trojans and worms.

8. DoeZ0763

I must be a dumbass...I went to Symantec and couldn't find anything...I did a search on my sytem for RNAV or RNIS and didn't find either...I assume that this was completely uninstalled then? Tell me...because I have no more Norton and will run with ZoneAlarm and Kaspersky...will I be completely covered really good? Thanks again for the help :-*

9. DoeZ0763

Ok...I am getting a refund for the ZA AntiVirus...the only thing I have on my system now is that Kaspersky...I don't even have ZoneAlarm anymore...should I reinstall the ZA or I don't need it? I'm so confused...I do appreciate all your help...I'm not a wizard at this so I appreciate this alot *puppy*

10. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear Doe, its very confusing for us as we don't know what Operating System you are running. anyway i compiled some links from Symantec website:

Removing Norton AntiVirus™ 2004 from Windows XP/2000 after Add/Remove Programs does not work

Removing Norton AntiVirus™ 2004 from Windows 98/Me after Add/Remove Programs does not work

Removing Norton SystemWorks™ 2004 in Windows XP/2000 after Add/Remove Programs does not work

Removing Norton SystemWorks™ 2004 in Windows 98/Me after Add/Remove Programs does not work

Removing Norton Internet Security™ 2004 in Windows XP/2000 after Add/Remove Programs does not work

Removing Norton Internet Security™ 2004 in Windows 98/Me after Add/Remove Programs does not work

before clicking on the link verify what software you were running. is it Norton Antivirus or System Works or Internet Security? i'm assuming you are running the latest version 2004. if you were using 2003 or 2002 then the links will be different. please mention about your OS and your Norton product otherwise we won't be able to help you. also click on the relevent link which mentions your OS.

clicking on the link will take you to Symantec website where you'll see step by step advice from the Symantec guys on how to remove your Norton product.

still if you have your problems then i suggest you backup your data and format your ACTIVE partition. probably its your C drive. now install your OS and other softwares. always remember not to run more than one Antivirus On-Access scanner. you can have another Antivirus as backup but that should have the On-Access scanner disabled. wish you luck.

11. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Hi again. A firewall and AV program are two separate lines of protection and I think most around here would recommend (strongly) that you have one of each installed.

For now, I wouldn't worry so much about which AV or firewall is best.

Rather, I strongly encourage you to try to get to the bottom of your freezing / scanning problem. Are you still having these problems? If so, we might say that the cuase could be any number of things, but since they seem to have started coincidentally when you removed Norton, let's guess that your problems are being caused by an incomplete uninstallation of Norton. This is probably not because of any mistake on your part, like I said, successfully removing Norton's AV can be quite tricky. Please refer to the links provided by AMRX. Once this is done, you may have to reinstall your new AV program.

I think he mentioned he's using XP Home.

Regards
    Optigrab

12. Arin

Arin Registered Member

thanks Optigrab i missed that.

13. sig

sig Registered Member

Since you're running XP if the system is functioning and you are online but you have no firewall installed, activate the Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) for your internet connection. Instructions may be found in XP's help section which should be accessible though your start menu. Do search on firewall and the info will be there.

Think of AV's and firewalls like medicines. Separately they may be ok but taking too many all at once likely could result in conflicts between them resulting in further problems. Check them out before installing more than one of each since there may be potential conflicts if you have more than 2 AV's or more than 2 firewalls. And to prevent such problems unless you know it's OK for sure, don't have duplicative programs (like 2 AV's or more for example) running simultaneously.

NAV can leave things on a system that might conflict with subsequent AV's so clean that out as instructed. Scanning with an AV at this point appears to be the least of your problems. Concentrate on cleaning up things so system and program stability is fully restored.

14. tazdevl

Don't search your system it isn't there.

RNIS and RNAV are registry removal utilities you download from Symantec. Go to their website and follow the instructions I wrote down. Those are all steps separated by commas.

Read through the first post or two in the search results. If you look closely, you'll see a program icon (looks like a computer) right click on it. That's how you download RNIS/RNAV. Remember you only download one... depends if you had Internet Security (RNIS) installed or Antivirus (RNAV).

Keep ZoneAlarm running if everything runs OK after you remove 2 of the 3 AV programs. Do not enable XP's firewall unless you run into more problems.

If you run KAV and ZA, you'll be fine.

15. sig

sig Registered Member

I advised activating ICF since he said in his last post that he (or she) didn't have ZA anymore (guessing it was uninstalled). If no third party firewall is installed and running, ICF should be activated to provide some protection.

If the poster got a refund on the ZA with AV, going just with the plain ZA Free version is recommended. But when no firewall is running at all, at least use ICF.

16. tazdevl

It's the antivirus package he purchased from ZoneLabs that's being refunded. Not the firewall itself.

17. sig

sig Registered Member

Yes, I understand but ZA won't help if it's not installed and running.

18. DoeZ0763

Hello again...let's see...where do I start...oh...I am female so there's no more confusion ;) I don't seem to be having a problem anymore with the freezing and moving slow since I uninstalled NOD32...ZoneAlarm Antivirus...I guess I overdosed on the AV's...I only have Kaspersky on my system now...I'll have to reinstall the free version of ZA...and I'm also gonna try to find the RNAV & RVIS on that site...looking at my Norton cd...it says Norton SystemWorks 2002 Pro Edition...because the sites were for 2004 will I still need to do this? I guess what I worry about is not having enough protection especially thru email...I hope you can understand this. Thanks *puppy*

19. Arin

Arin Registered Member

20. DoeZ0763

I printed out all 9 pages of the directions...went thru them thoroughly and did not find any of those files...so then I did a search throughout my system for both Norton and Symantec...it came up with nothing...This is good right? I shouldn't have any part of Norton/Symantec on my computer anymore...right?

21. tazdevl

You got it. If the log files from RNAV/RNIS were clean, it means you are good. Glad to hear things are working for you.

Might want to check under Program Files on your C: drive for a Symantec folder, delete it if it's there. Also check Program Files, Common Files for a Symantec folder. Lastly, be sure that LiveUpdate and LiveReg are uninstalled from the Add/Remove programs menu.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.