Someone please help remove TI2009! What a mess

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by qone, Oct 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qone

qone Registered Member

Hi all,

I purchased TU 11 last December thinking I would finally have a good backup solution and after spending 5 months with tech support with intermittent problems (some minor, some major), I gave up. So I tryed out TI 2009 yesterday and WHAT A MISTAKE.

1) The installer won't complete (the green bar goes to thye end and sits there -- yeah its been 45 minutes now)

2) I hit cancel and it asks me if am sure. I click yes and it sits there (another 30 min).

3) I kill the process and reboot the computer; I get the can't boot OS so I go to last known good.

4) I try to uninstall TI 2009 but there is not listing in add/remove

5) I try to use acronis_cleanup tool and it seems as though it works. After rebooting, I can't boot into OS. So I go to last known good again.

6) Into the OS, and I see all acronis drivers in the registry and my system will not shutdown (it sits there for 30 min) so I have to hit reset button.

7) I tried installing the s/w again so I can use the uninstall function but no luck.

How can I get rid of ALL THIS STUFF including drivers off my computer?? I've learned my lesson -- never again.

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Have you tried using system restore to go back to before you installed it?

3. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

With TI 11 did you have a Secure Zone and perhaps a T&D running?

Did you uninstall TI 11 first - maybe a moot point for you, but might help others.

Try the following:

For installing TI check that the temprary files folder in C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USER_NAME\Local Settings\Temp is empty (XP) for Vista the path is C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\AppData\Local\Temp.

To eradicate as much of TI as possible.

1. Try uninstalling using XP/Vista Safe mode - the drivers for TI will not be loaded, so this may allow a complete uninstall as well as the registry cleaner may work as well.

2. If the above doesn't work then: Open up Services.msc, stop and disable the two or three services that will be there.

3. Open up MSCONFIG, click on the start tab and disable loading of TI programs.

4. Open up Device Manager (Windows Key + Pause\Break) and if not already disabled or uninstalled disable the Acronis driver or even uninstall.

Colin

4. qone

qone Registered Member

TI11 was uninstalled back in July when I was having other problems, or so I thought. I used the uninstaller and everything was removed, but it is possible those drivers were still being loaded -- can't really be sure.

Services shows OS Selector Reinstall service and Try and Decide Service. Neither of them is started.

MSCONFIG shows no Acronis apps at startup

Device Manager showed one item -- Acronis explorer and I went ahead and uninstalled it

Also, the manual uninstall procedures for TI11 don't match 2009. If so I would have tried that.

I'll try the safe mode

Thanks for the suggestions

5. qone

qone Registered Member

I still have remnants of TI2009 in the registry, but I'm concerned if I remove those entries, my system will become unbootable

under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}

Key Upperfilters has timounter and snapman380 listed. Can I delete them?

6. qone

qone Registered Member

Well it looks like the computer is now bricked. I tried removing all instances of snapman, acronis, and timounter from the registry according to the manual uninstall procedures and now the system will not boot at all. All I get is a BSOD as soon as the progress bar shows up and it loops over and over. Last known no longer works and neither does safe mode. Trying a repair from the windows install DVD does not work. Anyone have any suggestions?

7. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

When you say you've tried a repair from Windows DVD, which repair option did you try?

The quickest option that ought to work (though we'll never know of course what went wrong), is to put the Windows DVD back in and reboot. When you get the choice of repair or install, choose install , the installer should then chunk around and show you it has found a previous install of Windows, also at this point it will give you the choice of Install or Repair, this time choose repair, if all goes to plan, this will wipe out Windows system files, re-install them (you will lose all Windows Updates, unless you're using a recently slipstreamed DVD) and replace registry with default settings. Registry will combine your installed program information into this registry, so you won't need to re-install your programs.

You will probably need your Product ID number, unless this is an OEM machine with Windows DVD.

If the installer won't give you this second option of repair, only two options of new installs, then somehow your whole MFT has become corrupted and the easiest and quickest thing will be a complete new install and all that that entails.

Colin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.