someone changing my sb settings

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by da bone, Aug 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. da bone

da bone Guest

ive noticed that spywareblaster has items unprotected after i have set enable all protection. is there a security problem with version 3.2? ive never had problems with the previous versions. ive noticed it after going online and check for updates. kind of worries me that sb may be disabled without my knowledge.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey da bone,

We will need a little more info due to the fact other Security\Privacy programs you are using may be playing a part in this also.

1) What if any other Security\Privacy programs are you using ?
    2) What unprotected items are we speaking of....SpywareBlasters Internet Explorer protection, Restricted Sites protection or Mozilla\Firefox protection ?

3. VXN

VXN Registered Member

4. da bone

da bone Guest

i have spywareblaster(sb), spywareguard, spybot, mrublaster, adaware and spyad. the previous ed. of sb never changed the protection unless i made changes. on two occasions ( one 2 wks ago and one day before yesterday), ive noticed that the protection settings were changed. i noticed these changes after going online after which i opened sb to check for updates. i generally check for updates every two weeks. the first time, all of the protection was disabled. the second time, selected items were unprotected (about half of the IE protected items). i dont have monzilla/firefox, only the IE and restricted sites are set for protection. last update was 7/17/04. i enabled the protection afterwards and ran adaware but found no hits on each occasion. i plan to run spybot today. there is only one other who uses the computor, my wife, who denies making any changes. im wondering if there is a check that i can do to verify the integrity of sb? please let me know. i generally get online daily.

5. FanJ

FanJ Guest

If you are using both IE-SPYAD and SpywareBlaster, I would advice to read the README-file for IE-SPYAD from Eric Howes:

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/res/ie-spyad.txt

I hope that I am allowed to quote the following from it:

- begin quote -

IE-SPYAD users should be aware of what happens during the installation of IE-SPYAD, though.
    The recommended process for installing IE-SPYAD is to uninstall the old version and then install the new version. When you uninstall the old version, all of SpywareBlaster 3.x's Restricted sites items will be temporarily disabled because of the overlap between the IE-SPYAD and SpywareBlaster 3.x Restricted sites lists. All of those items should be re-enabled in SpywareBlaster 3.x once you install the newest version of IE-SPYAD.

Given that both Restricted sites lists will be changing over time, I would recommend that SpywareBlaster 3.x users occasionally check to ensure that all of SpywareBlaster 3.x's Restricted sites items remain enabled after installing IE-SPYAD.

- end quote -

As I said: it is better to read it completely.
    I really would advice you to do so : a wealth of information !
    In this case you might choose to start reading in the section:

--------------------------------------------
    If I use SpywareBlaster, do I need IE-SPYAD?
    --------------------------------------------

6. da bone

da bone Guest

thanks for the info. however, i have not updated spyad for a month. the changes on sb occurred after. i do admit that the first disable of protection may have occurred when i updated spyad and i wasnt aware until i checked for updates for sb. although, the second time that some items were disabled in sb in the IE section still alarms me. there is no correlation to an update of spyad and that occurrence. therefore, im wondering if there is a way to check sb integrity or may be there is a compatibility issue with spyad. again, thanks for your help.

7. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, da bone

You could try [disconnect from Internet first] this Disable all in SWB and then Undo all in SB S&D., reboot.

Then Enable all in SWB and then Immunize all in SB S&D reboot.

And all should be OK.

Take Care.
    TheQuest :cool:

8. da bone

da bone Guest

thanks for the info. ill try it out. again, thanks.

9. bschristn

bschristn Registered Member

I am getting the same active-x component unchecking in the internet protection - specifically Adshooter Searchforit. I tried enering it in the Custom Blocking but didn't stop it. I am also running Spy-bot Ad-aware and Pest Patrol. Pest Patrol picks it up and clears it. Any help?

10. Hypnotrick

Hypnotrick Guest

It doesn't have anything to do with SpyAd, that's for sure. I run Spybot S&D 1.3, Ad-Aware, Hijack This! and SB 3.2 along with EZFirewall (TrueVector security engine v.4.5.554.001). The same thing started with me yesterday. The Shields Up! website confirms that all my service ports are in steath mode, and 90% of the time i surf I disable mobile code anyway, so I'm thinking that the vulnerability has to be either an IE6 or SB component that has internet access rights. God only knows when the next scheduled IE6 patch will be available, but maybe the Javacool people can look into things on their end and see if that's it.

11. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Which "same thing" happens on your system? Do you mean the reference to "Searchforit" as noted in the post right before yours or something else from higher up in the thread?

We've since found out that Searchforit is caused by a false positive in Spybot:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=43465

If it's something else, can you be specific about what you are seeing?

12. Hypnotrick

Hypnotrick Guest

Just the SearchForIt. Good to know. S&D's "final" build sure is detecting quite a few false positives anymore... thx.

13. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Actually the final build of the software is fairly good....unfortunately they have made a few mistakes when it comes to a few of it's latest definition files....as noted in the False positive thread below.

This thread---> Spybot Update 8/30/04 False Positive

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.