Somebody check this Ebay item for me with IMON enabled in HE.

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Big D1, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big D1

Big D1 Registered Member

Using the latest version of NOD, and I am using a paid for commercial version for Windows XP SP2 with all the latest updates. Using IE as my browser in high efficiency mode.

I have been using NOD for about about two weeks now. I have noticed a few times that I get pages that look like the screen shot that is pictured below.

Here is the Ebay item that I am talking about that is generating random characters. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=37808&item=5557023655&rd=1

I clicked and went back on the above link at least 10 times, and the only thing loading was the garbled mess. I disable IMON, and it opens correctly first time. Go back and forth opening and closing, and the page loads fine with IMON disabled. Turn IMON back on, and the page will not load again even though I think it should be cached in my temp internet files.

Finally, I just decided to set IE in high compatibility mode, and the web page would open correctly. With IMON in high efficiency mode, the page would not load correctly.

Can somebody test the Ebay link that I posted to see if it happens with their browser? I was logged in to Ebay at the time, so I don't know if it matters or not.

Like I mentioned earlier, I have seen the random characters before while doing general surfing during the last couple of weeks, so I am thinking it's not a coincidence, but I have been wrong before.

Attached Files:

2. Big D1

Big D1 Registered Member

To follow up on my first post.

If I click the above link that I posted, the Ebay item opens up just fine even with IE in HE mode. I am still logged into Ebay while posting this, and I still cannot view the page with IMON in HE mode, but I can when I click on the link I posted. This is really wierd.

OK, can somebody log into their Ebay account, and then find the item to see if the page is opening correctly? The Ebay item number is 5557023655.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I don't have an Ebay account but that link opens for me using IE and FF using higher efficiency.

Any firewalls or proxies on your system?

4. Big D1

Big D1 Registered Member

No, no firewalls or proxies. Not even using the Windows firewall. I am using a router though.

About the screen shot I posted. Does anybody know what all that grabled mess means?

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

If you haven't already read it....The below ongoing NOD Sticky thread link might be worth a read.

This NOD Forum sticky---> Websites not opening correctly in higher efficiency mode

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Encrypted text?

7. Big D1

Big D1 Registered Member

Yes, I knew about the thread, and I have previously posted in that thread when I was using the trail version.

I am not getting the garbled character web pages all the time. Just every now and then which I can work around by either disabling IMON or setting IE to higher compatibility.

OK, I signed out of my account, and then I signed back in. Searched by the Ebay item number that I posted, and the cotton pickin item open ups just fine now.

I am just going to write this one down as computer wierdness. :)

8. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

I logged on Ebay with my account and went to that item number and it loaded ok using IE in HE mode.

9. Big D1

Big D1 Registered Member

Stan,

Thanks for doing that. I think it may be time for me to do a reformat of my system. Not infected with anything as far as I know. Was using KAV previously before I starting using NOD.

Anyway, does anybody know what the garbled web pages are? If I knew what they were or what might cause it, then I might be able to tackle this problem in another manner.

10. Phil_S

Phil_S Registered Member

I wouldn't bother reformatting. I get the same thing with ebay from time to time. Seems to be random, as it doesn't always affect the same link.

Anyway, having recently restored everything from scratch trying to track down the ActiveX problem I was experiencing (that's another thread) I don't think reformatting will have any affect.

I don't know what causes it, but I've also found disabling IMON overcomes it, as you say. Sometimes refreshing the page with Ctrl held down fixes it. If that doesn't work I've found that shutting down IE and restarting it often works.

11. Big D1

Big D1 Registered Member

Phil,

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. It definitely is a real pain to reformat, at least it is for me.

Other than the random characters on some(very few) web pages, my computer is running great. I reckon I will leave it alone for the time being since there is a workaround.

Thanks for all the help everybody.

12. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

When you go down this track in the future, before doing so I would suggest taking a look at imaging software such as Acronis True Image, this will allow you to go back to a fresh install within minutes.

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

13. iNsuRRecTioN

iNsuRRecTioN Registered Member

Hi,

have you installed AdMuncher? (www.admuncher.com).

I have sometimes such a output in IE or Opera, with AdMuncher running in the background..

best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

14. Phil_S

Phil_S Registered Member

I haven't personally. I do however have IE's Popup Blocker enabled (SP2) and Immunization enambled in SpyBot S&D.

Phil

15. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

A bit of technical info.
    eBay uses DLL's to run their script pages. Depending on your connection speed / network congestion / various other factors - you may have difficulty from time to time. It does sound like in this instance it was a cache issue (bad local copy of a dll?) but you may also benefit from setting the 'Auotmatic Passive Mode' in IMON a little lower. Mine is now set for 512Kb and I've found that even on my relatively slow connection I now have zero HE site problems to report since making that change.

16. Big D1

Big D1 Registered Member

Not running AdMucnher. Just using the XP SP2 popup blocker.

I am on a 3/256 cable connection, and I have the "Automatic Passive Mode" set to default right now. I will give the 512 setting a try.

17. Phil_S

Phil_S Registered Member

For anyone still suffering with this problem, I seem to have solved it on my machine.

At least, I haven't had a single instance in the last couple of weeks, whereas before I seemed to get garbled pages fairly frequently, normally only resolved by shutting down IE and restarting.

The solution was nothing to do with Nod. I just added *.ebay.co.uk to the list of allowed sites in the SP2 IE Pop-Up Blocker settings :)

Hope this helps someone else!

18. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

Same here.

It opens fine in both browsers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.