Some weird ethernet traffic logged

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by doktornotor, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Can someone tell me what's this? The MAC belongs to a local printserver (it's not a computer, it's something like HP JetDirect), I'd like to allow it to stop logging of this by the final "catchall" but really don't know what to allow? o_O

Attached Files:

2. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hi doktornotor,

You can create a rule to match by MAC address, and set it to allow or block silently.

Regards,
    Phant0m``

3. doktornotor

Thanks, I've allowed it since blocking all traffic from that MAC is not really an option, breaks printing. Still wondering what kind of traffic it is. :D

4. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

When the Ethernet Type is below 1500, it is not a type but the length of the ethernet frame.
    So, it means a proprietary/specific protocol is used for that printer.

I'm not sure this kind of packet would pass a router. Is your printer connected directly to the PC, or through a HUB ?

Instead of allowing these packets (I don't know exactly if you allowed all traffic for that MAC address, or if you allowed all other ethernet packets), you can try to create a rule that will block all other ethernet types to see if it works anyway.

Frederic

5. doktornotor

It's a LAN printserver connected via a switch.

Well yeah for the time being I allowed all the traffic from that particular MAC (and IP range matching the LAN) since I really lack the info to restrict this further. I'll look into disabling unneeded stuff on that printserver, but no idea where to start with so it's going to be try and see if it goes away more or less.

6. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

With a right click on the last rule ("All other packets"), duplicate the rule, then edit it (not the last one, but the one before the last), and for "Ethernet Type" field select "Other", also change the name of the rule to differentiate it from the last one. Then, back to the ruleset list, block the packets with the Stop sign, and select the log attribute (!).
    If you disable the rule you have added to allow the MAC address (no need to remove it compleletly, just disable it with the tick on the left), normally the new rule (All other ethernet types) should now catch the packets that were initially blocked (your first post).

If everything is all right (your printer working well), then you can disable the log attribute to have the packets blocked silently.

If it doesn't work, then disable this new rule, and re-enable the MAC address based rule...

Regards,

Frederic

7. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

this ability is unique to LnS of all software firewalls I've seen

8. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Very powerful and light software firewall product. :D

9. doktornotor

Well, tried that and the rule didn't catch anything, I probably messed up the deny rule or it needs some different settings. Well whatever, the allow rule is fine for me. One feature suggestion I'd have would be a right-click action on a log entry which would stop further logging for that particular traffic that got logged.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.