Some thoughts about Panda update to new version

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Subgud, Jul 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Subgud

Subgud Registered Member

Hi!

Just want to share my thoughts about panda and theire upgrading options. I have a license for Panda IS 2010. I did purchase a 1 yr license. In my country, Norway, it is not possible to upgrade to the latest yr version.

They sell 2 and 3 yrs licenses but you are not allowed to update to the new 2011 version unless you pay for it. This is something panda has been practicing for years. I think it is stupid!

I wrote an email to the support here in my country adressing this issue and they replied saying that the same would happen if I purchased norton, kaspersky etc.

I just want to share my opinion on this. Panda must be the only AV vendor today that dont let you update to the new verion for free.

So if some of you are buying panda, just purchase a 1 yr license.

Cheers

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Both Kaspersky and Norton and few others allow upgrade to a new version while the licence is current

3. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

Yeah, that's a lie. Both Kaspersky and Norton allow upgrades to the latest versions as long as the original license is valid.

4. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

In fact most of the vendors with "year versions" handle like this: Panda, McAfee, BitDefender, F-Secure, Trend Micro, etc. All except for G Data which do give you the right to update to the latest version. (And indeed the previously mentioned Norton and Kaspersky.)

Also the vendors which use normal version numbers always allow you to make use of the latest version: ESET, Avira, avast!, AVG, Prevx, etc.

In my eyes its quite unfair behavior. Since you are paying to make use of a product of ESET, which makes perfect sense. But you are paying to make use of Panda Antivirus Pro 2010, which doesn't make sense. That is also why there still people using Norton 2006 or whatever.
    For me that kind of pricing is a a reason not to buy it. Most vendors release there 2011 product at the end of the summer of 2010. So if you buy Panda in August, your product will be out of date after 1 month.

5. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

On the U.S.A. site they advertise that if you purchase the 2010 version now you can upgrade to 2011 for free.

http://www.pandasecurity.com/usa/

I don't know if that offer is retroactive for customers who purchased licenses earlier this year, ect. Or for customers who purchased 2-3 year licenses. Or for customers outside of U.S.A.
    I fairly certain that this isn't accurate. I believe if your current license for Norton/Kaspersky is active you can upgrade to the next versions of these anti-virus software for free.

Perhaps you could try contacting Panda support in Spain via e-mail. Panda is based in Spain and perhaps they can help you.

Edit:

I just received an email offer from Panda to upgrade to their 2011 version for free if I purchased 2010 now. They said it was a limited time only offer.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  6. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

I have used Panda from 2003-2006 and it has been like that even then . I remember I have read somewhere that they have changed this practise but ...

Generally speaking , this is good practise only if they sell 1 year licenses (but not if there 2 or 3 year licenses) .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.