Some Questions Regarding Prevx

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by subhrobhandari, Nov 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

Well, I have been visiting Wilders for months though I never felt I need to create an account here. But I am here now for clearing some doubts about Prevx. Not to mention I am one of the satisfied customers of Prevx:

1. Why should Prevx care if Symantec is blocked within HOSTS or not and why should affect functionality of Prevx? Even then only a deep scan reveals this, Prevx should show a warning when at first I added the entry and saved the HOSTS file.

2. I never had the IP Verification on, as you can see in the picture. This was from the first time I installed Prevx RC. What can be the possible reason?

3. What does SafeOnline do to "Protect against Keyloggers" when Keyscrambler is on? At that time does Prevx stops its Keystroke-Encrypting?

4. I am aware Prevx doesnt check archives but does it scan self-extracting archives when a context menu/deep/full scan is run?

Regards
    Subhro

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Glad to see you've taken the plunge and registered! :)

We check to ensure that most of the major AVs aren't being blocked by the HOSTs file or other means. This is primarily as a service to the user who may be using the other AV as well and missing on some layered benefits because of it. For simplicity's sake, we only check at the start of the scan rather than warn as soon as the change occurs, in the event that the change was part of a larger update operation where we could learn more about the overall change itself after it finishes.

I'm not quite sure what it would be - it could potentially be a slow response to your PC, could you let me know approximately what your scan times are?

When KeyScrambler and Prevx are both installed, Prevx will protect keystrokes which KeyScrambler doesn't protect (including keystrokes entered via virtual keyboards or if KeyScrambler was to be disabled or non-functional temporarily).

No, Prevx doesn't extract any archive format (intentionally) but our signatures and behavioral analysis capture events relating the extracted files to the extractor so if we don't detect the initial archive, we will detect the dropped files if they are malicious.

Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

3. subhrobhandari

Thanks for the reply.

Just did a Deep scan, it took me 5 min. 38 sec.

4. subhrobhandari

Will someone reply?

5. PrevxHelp

Hello,
    I suspect this slower scan speed is caused by another security product accessing files while Prevx is accessing files, and is generally not a cause for concern but if you could please save a scan log by clicking Tools > Save Scan Results and send it to report@prevxresearch.com, we'll take a look to see if there is some underlying issue at hand causing the slower scan speed.

Thanks! :)

6. subhrobhandari

Sent. :) I have only ESS enabled right now but Prevx scans are taking longer than usual. A scan would take around 10 min while earlier this would take around 5-6 min. Prevx from program files and application data folder are already added to exclusion list of ESS. Also no new programs are installed within 2 weeks except for A2M which I run occasionally and no A2M processes are running background.

7. PrevxHelp

Hello,
    We've made some changes to our database from your scan log - if you could try running another scan, it should now be significantly faster :)

After the next scan, if you could send us a new scan log, we'll take a look to see if there is anything else we can improve.

Thanks for the help!

8. subhrobhandari

Sent. But the changes didnt improve Prevx on my system actually, it took 12 mins. 27 sec. And does it have any impact on the issue of "IP Not Verified"?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  9. PrevxHelp

I suspect this may be a clash between Prevx and the Comodo DNS service or your router. If you'd be interested in having one of our engineers analyze your PC remotely to try and diagnose the problem, we can schedule a time when you'll be available to try and get to the bottom of these issues :)

Thanks for your help!

10. subhrobhandari

Hello, I had problems with my ISP this weekend, thats why I could not be here for three days. I am willing to help Prevx, I can be online to schedule Remote Assistance after two days or this weekend.

Also I have noticed, Disabling ESS Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware protection (NOT the firewall) significantly increases the Prevx scan speed, its always done within 4 min. FYI, I have also changed Comodo DNS to my ISP or OpenDNS, but didnt help. Also, I have a trial copy of Safeonline installed on my brother's Laptop, but that works without any problem while connected to THIS router using same connection.

Edit: Hope you have found the FUDs I have sent and added to database.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  11. subhrobhandari

Hello Joe
    The new 3.0.5.40 solved my problem of IP verification. See the attached screenshot. But right now I am having another problem. Whenever I type something it takes some time to appear on the screen, I am not sure why this is happening after updating to this version. I turned my other security components (see in my updated signature) off one by one to check what might possibly cause the problem and it turned out to be Prevx.

I also turned off the SafeOnline only but that didnt help, I had to turn off Prevx completely to get normal output of keyboard. This is not only happening to the browsers, but also with anything, Word or even Notepad. Also sometimes the online browser flash games are taking quite some time to response. I have sent a scan log to report@prevxresearch.com, hope you will analyze it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  12. PrevxHelp

Hello,
    We've made the changes in our database from your scan log - if you could please try running another scan, it should correct the issues you've been experiencing.

Let me know if it helps! :)

13. subhrobhandari

Yes, its working completely okay now. :oops: Thank you very much. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.