Some questions about ShadowProtect

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by cet, Nov 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

I installed it yesterday ,I have two partitions on my system.As seen in the pic.So if I take the copies of my system to the Data partition I would be able to boot with the recovery CD and restore to the Primary partiton Right?? I do not have to do anything more?
    I had also altered Microsoft volume shadow copy(changed from automatic to manual) but after installing this program vssvc.exe starts with reboot.I also have the vsnapvss.exe running in the background,is this normal to have both of them?
    I do not want to take incremental backups I will only do full backups from time to time so I disabled the automatic running of the ShadowProtectSvc.exe(2 processes)and made it manual,is this harmful?
    I also had Paragon Hard disk manager 9.5 from a promotion,no conflicts seen so far,but do I have to remove Paragon?

Attached Files:

2. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

CET,
    I make an image of C and keep it in D.
    I will be moving D to another hard drive in a few weeks.
    Your other questions might better be asked at the Storagecraft forums.
    Good luck.
    Hugger

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

As far as I know (and tested it) you can completely uninstall SP from your computer and use the recovery CD for just about everything except as you mentioned incremental backups.

4. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Yes, you can do this. However, keep in mind backing up to the same drive as your production disk is not as secure as keeping the backups on a separate disk. What I do is back up to both my production drive (on a separate storage partition) and another separate h/drive. You want to have some sort of safety net in the event one backup source fails.

Not sure in this particular case but I think it's usually normal, though not at home presently to check.

I don't know.

Again, don't know.

Yes, correct, but you can also run incremental backups from the cd, although it obviously has to be done manually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.