Some questions about Nod32 trial version

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 1 Forum' started by vrf, Jun 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vrf

vrf Registered Member

I read on the internet about this Nod 32 program and I downloaded the trial version. I appreciate it for its low system impact but there seem to be some problems: I tried the EICAR test file, Amon appeared, I pressed "Delete" and the program said it cannot access my hard drive. It's the first program ever saying that, so that's no problem with my computer. Yet, when I scanned the temporary files, Nod found nothing, so the program must have deleted the EICAR file somehow. I tried this also with a real virus I knew I had and it was exactly the same, Amon saying it cannot access my hard drive and yet, cleaning it. So, is this an interface problem or what? And also, does NOD detect trojans too? Are people from
    Eset trying to improve the trojan detection of NOD 32? Cause I don't want to use "layered protection" I want a good program against all malaware, considering my home computer hasn't too many risks of being badly infected with trojans(I use dial-up internet).

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Perform a full system scan (green-crossed icon). NOD32 v1 is designed to use the main scanning engine first and foremost to get rid of nasties. No interface problem here ;)

It does - and indeed they improve.

NOD32 is well known as the top notch antivirus. It's a matter of personal choice wether or not putting all eggs in just one basket. Layered defense will at minimum provide you with a) a superior antivirus v) a superior antitrojan (TDS3 for example). That said" "all malware" comes in different flavors: spyware for example is not covered by antiviruses/antitrojans. You'll probably end up with layered defenses, well done browser configuration, and first and foremost common sense/safe hex.

Dial up will does not act as a "layered defense" against malware. Consider at the least installing a top notch software firewall - in combo with a hardware firewall.

regards.

paul

3. vrf

vrf Registered Member

OK, so I have to use the on demand scanner to clean viruses.That's not a big problem(even if I wished the on access scanner Amon cleaned all viruses). Anyway, Nod32 has the fastest scanning engine I've ever seen, in 10 minutes it scans all my hard drives.
    And I appreciate I can get help and advice for trial version too. Other big antivirus producers are slow to reply even to registered customers. And, seeing the unique Virus Bulletin performance of Nod 32, I think I'll stick with it as my antivirus of choice. It has some shortcomings, but any software has, nothing can be perfect.
    Thanks a lot for the advice.

4. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

vrf,

You're welcome ;)

regards.

paul

5. Rieske

Rieske Registered Member

Same yw here...
    Btw, what shortcomings?

6. vrf

vrf Registered Member

The biggest shortcoming at Nod is its interface.Maybe its only my taste but I don't really like it.Such a great scanning engine could have a much better interface.It's just too simple and, in the same time, not so clear.Plus the problems of Amon in cleaning viruses. I don't deny it, the on demand scanner is faster than at any other antivirus. Yet, I would like doing all the cleaning from Amon directly. Often that doesn't work.
    But the aspects I dislike are less than the one I like. The computer almost doesn't feel Nod32 is there, it doesn't slow at all. Plus the VB100% awards. As my computer is kind of old, Nod32 could be my only choice.There is AVG, but it misses viruses and it updates rarely.

My novice opinion is that the ESET team should work more on the interface.It's like a good product with a bad package. For example I think AVG looks way better than NOD32 even if its detection is ridiculous compared to NOD. And that can trick many people into saying AVG is great and NOD is bad.

7. sig

sig Registered Member

BAH, I went to edit my post and deleted it. Not that it was worth keeping that much. ;)

NOD version 2's interface is quite different from NOD 1, at least I understand that from the comments and screenshots posted previously in the NOD 2 Beta forum here.

At any rate, I just saw the thread here that Eset USA said NOD 2 final should be availible tomorrow. An announcement will be made and links posted.

(Hot dogs, popcorn and balloons for the kiddies not included.) ;)

8. Madsen DK

Madsen DK Registered Member

Sig & vrf.
    The new interface IS quite different.
    Personally i love it :D :D
    And a great improvement over the old, still the old one had its charms.
    Ill be missing that pounding nod alien thing in Amon.
    Regards
    Ole

9. vrf

vrf Registered Member

Just wanna say the new Nod32 looks great My comments were on the first version.This one's perfect. Eset repaired all the problems in the first version.Good work!

10. jan

jan Former Eset Moderator

Hi,

you are welcome. The Eset team thanks you too and is working on making NOD even better. :)

Take care,

jan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.