Some questions about nod32 AV

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Sir paranoids, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir paranoids

Sir paranoids Registered Member

Well i was like what the hell ill try out E-sat anti-virus and see what happens and hope it doesn't kill my windows install ;)
    Some questions for ya all that know more about the AV then i do.

"A" First problem with trial installer, no offline installer.
    i don't use data-mining down-loader Trojans, anyone know the link to the full offline installer ?

"B" Offline updating AV signatures are done how ? i was looking at the users guide *.pdf and i don't see the option to do that.
    maybe i missed something.

"C" Seems i have to reg in or something for the 30 day trial,how do i go about that in offline mode only for updating my Trial license and using the AV in offline mode only on a test computer or one setup to block any attempt by the AV to connect to any network.

"D" The following would need to be disabled when in use so the question is, is it possible to disable the following.
    1: No browser plug ins or HTTP blocking or interference of any kind.
    2: No email blocking or interference of any kind.
    3: Any attempt to open a port or connect to the internet or leave a port open in the network stack in any way is considered a network attack and has to be disabled.
    4: Anything that try's to mess with the network or firewall setup in any way has to be disabled.

"E" If and when a virus is found if sent by the AV quarantine folder after its bin cleared by me at a time of my choosing, what additional info if any is sent to e-sat.

"F" Anything with the word {cloud} on the side of it gets disabled.
    Is this possible to do in nod32?

Tnx for your time and understanding in advance & any input about the AV in questions.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

A, Click "More options" next to the desired product on the download page and choose Offline installer.
    B, an Internet connection is required for the program to update
    D1,2: It's possible to disable protocol filtering and email client integration but why would one do that as it would remove one layer of protection against newly emerging threats.
    D3: you can use ESS firewall to open/close ports.
    E: An example of ThreatSense data sent to ESET can be found in the help files.

The rest was not clear to understand so I couldn't have answered.

3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

IMO after reading several posts by you on Wilders I can let you know that you are too paranoid to use any AV that's available on the market today, even ESET, unless you are looking for a pure on-demand scanner of course.

Also, by disabling the web protection in ESET you are losing around 50% in protection since that's a very strong and important layer in the products.
    And why would you like to use a product if you were to disable X% of it? o_O

No offense, but that's my opinion. :isay:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  4. Sir paranoids

Tnx for the info Marcos.
    Bin looking over the pdf readme for your anti-virus and maybe just maybe we have a winner though i haven't tested it yet so only time will tell.
    Ill download the offline installer shortly and see what happens.
    Ill post my finding after the fact.

Iooking at the options closer in the users guide it seems that your anti-virus seems to take users privacy to hart if i haven't missed my guess.

--------------------------------

Na not paranoid "my user name a joke btw" i just know whats up more then most is all,i started with computers before apple ][ and if you remember how AV worked way back when in win95~98 or on older Os as i have since 1980~now and you've seen the progression of privacy invasion over time you'll understand where im coming from then.
    And im not just talking about AV software, its everything that you can install on a computer of late and the privacy invasion topic is reaching unbelievable invasive levels in this day and age and that's why imho some industry leaders are pushing the cloud topic so hard in our face's so as to one up the privacy invasion topic even more by off-loading your hole hdd to a cloud that way they can dictate how its going to be to a even grater level then has ever bin seen.

and a AV can do more then on-demand in offline mode with out a internet connection.
    its of little use for computers that are never connected to the internet,and or computers that use browser hardening tactics for their security {no flash no java no cookies no plug-in and or plug-ins that protect the browser vs hacking attempts more then would be possible with dealt settings, etc vs phone home link scanners and white list setups.

for some applications internal computer networks need never have a internet connection that way hackers can never touch your software and if someone wants to rob your software they have to get past the guards and real life security at the front door first,its the only way to be 100% shore you don't get hacked and seeing as the computers in question still need to use removable media they still need a AV.

i don't offend easily in cyberspace SweX, all good,bin doing this a long time,
    its just i have this medical condition that when exploded to BS i have a allergic reaction to it,in a nut shell you could say im allergic to BS.
    just remember that truth is the best weapon you will ever have vs evil and vs it lairs burn just like vampires exposed to sun light.

edit: total typos,man i type fast but like slop:doubt:
    post should be considered ver 2.0 sorry it was so bad i couldn't even read when i posted.:gack:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I hear you, and I share some opinions about were things are heading privacy wise.
    But I don't use any product or service that I don't trust, meaning I do trust ESET and I am a customer since many years back.
    And I use ESS in the way it's meant to be used, and if I would start disabling protection layers then I would be better of uninstalling it. :)

But each to their own, and good luck setting ESET up the way you like.

6. Sir paranoids

Can't seem to find the off-line Virus signature database updates for nod32 sadly.

seems i can from 3rd party providers but really i don't feel like going their or dealing with mystery download sites for something like that.

in any case i have work to deal with atm both my own pc and for others.
    sadly my main box has some kind of udp port scanner code running on it.
    i have tricked it down as much as i can and it seems its broken code in any case.
    iv logged like maybe 15 pics + firewall logs + netminer + wireshark logs whois and all that good stuff :D
    thing doesn't seem to do anything useful for anyone over all besides spamming it up in my firewall logs {think more then one back to back} and bouncing internal ips around all over the place vs all ports.
    Av software i have on hand doesn't seem to find anything nore douse a 6 pack of root-kits detectors.

ill just purge my hole Os DoD 3 pass 0 bit format stile,its about that time in any case as well at some point ill get in the owners faces seeing as i know were the ip leads to as well i have a dedicated hdd for my os and nothing fixs problems like a good format c: drive if you know what i mean.
    it be interesting to see what the firewall vender has to say about this on the phone home topic.
    but that off topic so ..its all good :D
    and the search is on for a good offline AV that doesn't need to phone home.:cautious:

btw nod32 gives end users lots of config options,ill give it that much.

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Creation of offline updates (mirror) is supported in Endpoint products.

8. Sir paranoids

http link if you would be so kind ?

off topic:
    5 days of network attacks then it stops 4 hours after i posted here about it, funny how that works:shifty:

9. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

For more information about ESET's Endpoint products:

ESET Endpoint Security (replaces ESET Smart Security Business Edition)

ESET Endpoint Antivirus (replaces ESET NOD32 Antivirus Business Edition)

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.