Some questions about Firefox

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by JVM, Dec 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Sorry Bigbuck, but that's not the SAME.
    Every browser has that function, but they don't work the SAME way as Firefox and according my readings Opera has an alternative for that function, that looks like FF, but it's still not the same. :)
    I don't like a popup window for the Find-on-this-page function.

2. JVM

JVM Registered Member

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones because I've not had any security problems with IE. As for speed. it has been discussed and stated IE is faster and uses less resources--on the Firefox forum--talking about one window open.

I would be more interested in a graph showing just 2005.

3. ErikAlbert

If you practice discipline on the internet, you won't be infected that easily even when you use MSIE.
    If you are convinced about MSIE being faster than Firefox and if that is so important to you, I suggest you keep on using MSIE.

Concerning the graph.
    Well that graph tells me alot about Microsoft.
    After so many years development M$ has still the most insecure browser : MSIE 6.0
    With all that money of M$, I would have the most secure and comfortable browser in the world and beat any competition.
    What's wrong with M$ ?

4. JVM

JVM Registered Member

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yo, fellows, who makes the best anti-virus? :D

Acadia

6. JVM

JVM Registered Member

Simple! IE :cool:

7. ErikAlbert

169,884K with 8 extensions.
    50,164K with 31 extensions.
    22,060K with 3 extensions (on my slow computer)
    Quite a difference. LOL
    If I would read this, I would test Firefox on MY computer.
    That kind of info is worthless to me.

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

hmm weird results. neways for me, what causes firefox/ie to use more memory is just opening more windows/tabs. then there also somes sites that cause my browsers CPU usage to skyrocket.

9. JVM

JVM Registered Member

I guess you missed this post--third one down:

"I love Firefox, it is my favorite browser, but I have to correct the article on a point you made multiple times.

FIREFOX IS NOT A 'LEAN AND FAST' BROWSER.

This myth has been perpetuated by the open source community forever.

See comparison tests here:
    http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html#winspeed

Firefox is slower than Opera and IE, and has a much larger memory footprint then IE (right now 80MB vs 41 MB in task manager)
    (it also has has a history of bad memory leaks, and monitoring task manager right now, there are still some in 1.5).

Its MUCH slower in cold and warm starts, and slower in rendering CSS, tables, and images.
    It does have better script speed, however, probably due to IE's ActiveX support.

Firefox is great because it has tabbed browsing, extensions, and themes.
    Which, of course, go on to make it even more bloated should you choose to install them (who doesnt?)!

Although slower, it is still plenty fast enough - all mature browsers are.

Both IE and Firefox have their crashes, but the frequency with which this happens is greatly exaggerated by both sides.
    Neither crashes often.

Can we all just agree that Firefox is superior in features and move on?"

Source: http://discuss.extremetech.com/forums/1004292531/ShowPost.aspx

Now let's look at his link: http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html#winspeed

"Firefox is not faster than Internet Explorer, except for scripting ..."

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

No browser wars please. They all have their good and bad points. Use the browser you enjoy using.

11. ErikAlbert

JVM,
    No I didn't miss that post, but if you surf on the internet, you will read alot of pros and cons about any browser. Thousands of opinions, tests, reviews, posts, etc.
    I've seen negative websites about Firefox, so bad that you wouldn't even try Firefox.
    I read that info with alot of salt and the Firefox 1.5, I know on my slow computer, does a good job.
    I prefer to evaluate software myself.
    When it works and I like it, I keep it. When it fails or I don't like it, I ditch it.

For instance :
    Many members at Wilders like and use EasyCleaner, nevertheless EasyCleaner is on my blacklist.
    Everybody has his own opinions and Wilders would be very boring if we all had the SAME opinion.

12. ErikAlbert

These results aren't even tests, just a few snapshots at random taken in a total different environment without any background information. Pfffft.

13. JVM

JVM Registered Member

Erik,

I really don't have an opinion because I haven't tried Firefox. The whole purpose of my starting this thread was to find out what people think and why they prefer it over IE.

ronjor: There is no war here because I have no army :)

I was only asking questions and pointing to things that I felt were worthy of discussion. In no way did I feel Erik and I were in a war.

Bottom line: I will probably give Firefox a try ;)

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

That's the very best way to find how a program runs. :)

15. JVM

JVM Registered Member

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Try them all. I currently have five browsers on my system. :)

17. JVM

JVM Registered Member

I downloaded Firefox and must say it looks better than IE, and the Toolbar tabs for websites is a great function. I've only used it for about an hour, but so far it looks like it will be my default browser if nothing goes wrong.

Thanks to all who have helped me take the plunge :-*

18. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

If you like the generic Tab options, you are gonna love Tab Mix Plus Extension... install that one and have a play around, soooo many options to play with.

https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=1122&application=firefox

Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

• 079.GIF
      079.GIF
      File size:
      22.9 KB
      Views:
  19. JVM

JVM Registered Member

That looks great but I need to take it slow for now :)

How do IE Tab and IE View differ? Can either or both eliminate the need for IE?

20. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

ie view - opens a seperate IE window to view a site.
    ie tab - opens an "IE tab" within firefox to view a site.

both of them need IE anyways so im not sure to eliminate IE short of going cold turkey on it.

21. Elwood

Elwood Registered Member

If you will not install extensions with overlapping functions and only install extensions you really want or have need for, you will have a lean mean browser in Firefox. On my system and on dial up, there is no comparison in speed between IE 6 SP1 and Firefox on most all types of pages. You can tweak connection settings through url about:config or by entering lines into a user.js file or by using an extension (FasterFox springs to mind) and tailor your connection for your connection speed, computer speed etc.

This is probably the ultimate resource in Firefox speed tuning:

Firefox Tuning - MozillaZine Forums

It may be a bit dated, but most of the tweaks are still the same. I prefer doing my tuning through about:config or by using FasterFox (I disable prefetching since I'm on dial up).

I run Firefox 1.5 under Windows ME on an older Compaq, 1.1ghz Athlon, 512MB pc133 SDRAM.

I also run SeaMonkey 1.0b, which is the successor to the Mozilla Application Suite which will be discontinued by Mozilla after the 1.7.x series of releases. It is also very fast compared to IE on my system.

I currently have around twenty extensions installed to each of two Firefox profiles and one Firefox profile with no extensions so I can compare behavior and speed among them, very little if any difference in performance, possibly slightly more memory usage by the extended profiles, but no problems.

[added]

I think one reason some people seem to have a slowness problem with Firefox is that they use their firewall to block Firefox's loopback on local ports, this causes Firefox to fall back to a less performant timer based mechanism, from what I have read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.